BA/Aurigny connection at LGW

Old Dec 8, 2017, 9:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, VIPorter, VIA Preference: Privilège, Air Canada Aeroplan
BA/Aurigny connection at LGW

Wasn't quite sure where to post this, but opted for here as I thought it would get more attention ;-)
I'm flying from YYZ to Alderney in May, via Guernsey.
The BA flight is scheduled to arrive at 07.50 and the next flight to Guernsey on Aurigny is at 10am. Is this too tight? I could probably get away with hand luggage on BA, but this is likely too heavy/large for Aurigny, so would need to be checked from LGW onwards.

Any thoughts?
Old Dec 8, 2017, 9:47 am

Programs: BA Exec Club Bronze, Hilton Diamond, Virgin Flying Club Red
Way too tight. You'll need to allow a minimum of 2 hours to exit LHR and get to Gatwick. I believe BA-BA transfers have a minimum connection time of 3h 30m if you have an airport transfer like this.
Old Dec 8, 2017, 10:04 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
I assume on a weekday?

M25 at rush hour... No chance!
Old Dec 8, 2017, 10:18 am

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
This seems to be the new YYZ-LGW BA 2270.

As immigration seems to have improved at LGW recently, I'd say it'll probably take you around 45 minutes from touchdown to getting landside, leaving you plenty of time to re-check your bag as both airlines are at the South Terminal. However, even an hour's delay would screw you up badly... how flexible would your onward ticket be, and/or how expensive would it be to lose it?
Old Dec 8, 2017, 10:29 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
If this is the LGW flight, and it is on time, then 90 minutes will give you a comfortable connection, and you can shave a bit off that if you can use the e-gates. So all the time you add on represents the additional contingency for the LGW service being late. Since it's a brand new service we can't be sure how reliable it is. If it is one ticket (presumably not from the way the question is phrased) you would be allowed to book it with a 75 minutes MCT, which I think is ungenerous. So 2 hrs 10 minutes gives you more than 30 minutes contingency.

Note that Aurigny has some of the lowest hand luggage allowances in Europe, so assume on checking most of it into the hold.

The annoying thing is that but for the biometrics / CTA at LGW this could be an easy connection at LGW, Aurigny's departures are about 100 metres from the BA gates on the same wing that the YYZ service will use.
Old Dec 8, 2017, 10:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, VIPorter, VIA Preference: Privilège, Air Canada Aeroplan
Thanks all! Yes I am flying in on the new YYZ-LGW service. From what I can see the plane sits a long time at YYZ from the inbound, which would presumably lessen chances of a delay.

It would be on separate tickets, is through ticketing possible between BA and Aurigny?
Old Dec 8, 2017, 10:52 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by williamn78
It would be on separate tickets, is through ticketing possible between BA and Aurigny?
Yes, but you will probably need a real live travel agent to do it. GCI used to be a BA codeshare destination - long history to that - which is why it is still a drop down location for the UK on BA.com. Unfortunately both the codeshare and the fare functionality has been long gone.
Old Dec 8, 2017, 8:21 pm

https://www.aurigny.com/html/en/fLuggage.aspx?lang=EN Worth noting that all Aurigny fares come with 20kg checked baggage as standard. For £35, they will also match your connecting longhaul carrier's baggage allowance (up to max 40kg) as long as the connecting flight is within 24hrs of the Aurigny one.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.