Wiki Posts
Search

Holiday lounge access changes

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8, 2017, 8:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL, CCR, LTG
Holiday lounge access changes

As I think has been previously reported BA appear to have relaxed lounge access policies for the school holidays but implementation seems to be a bit of a shambles.

Im flying to HAM today with my wife and two kids. I am ggl & ccr whilst the other three are silver.

Went to first wing to check in and with no expectation of using the security line there as my ggl allows two guests not three. The lovely check in agent said ‘oh we have a new lounge policy for the school hols, you can guest up to 5 people and you can go through First security channel here’. Then she got out her briefing note on the new policy and said she wasn’t completely sure of that was correct. She asked us to wait a few minutes and then returned and said no we couldn’t use the security channel (as I had expected until she suggested otherwise) and packed us off to South security.

Once through there I asked the door guardian for the ccr if the usual a 1 guest policy had been relaxed , just in case, and she told me ‘only First passengers are allowed in. I said ‘First plus ccr card holders you mean’ and she said ‘no. Only First passengers’ whilst prodding the coloured briefing sheet she had in front of her. I was in no mood to argue as I clearly couldn’t take the family in anyway so I left it at that. Still, what a shambolic way to treat your regular customers!
Old Dec 8, 2017, 8:51 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Have the school holiday's actually started yet, seems a bit early. I wonder if that's why the lady at the First Wing was confused?
Old Dec 8, 2017, 8:57 am

Programs: BD, BAEC Pleb, VS Pleb, Accor Pleb, HHonors Gold, Big White Season Pass
Originally Posted by PETER01
Have the school holiday's actually started yet, seems a bit early. I wonder if that's why the lady at the First Wing was confused?
Depends. I think some private schools finish today. Most seem to have at least have another 1 if not 2 weeks to go.
Old Dec 8, 2017, 9:05 am

Originally Posted by Tiger_lily
Depends. I think some private schools finish today. Most seem to have at least have another 1 if not 2 weeks to go.
Thanks Tiger_lily, the private schools here (Scotland) don't finish until around the 20th.

I do remember reading this but I don't think it is actually BA policy, just something they were considering unless something has changed but I don't think it has? I'm sure someone with far more knowledge than me will be along to clarify this, perhaps.

BA considering policy on extra child guests in Lounges for Golds
Old Dec 8, 2017, 9:36 am
Original Poster

Both people I spoke to said changes were effective today and each had a colour PowerPoint matrix they were referring to which they didn’t seem able to interpret
Old Dec 8, 2017, 11:03 am

Programs: BA GGL, TK E (*G), ITA exec
Originally Posted by PETER01
Thanks Tiger_lily, the private schools here (Scotland) don't finish until around the 20th.

I do remember reading this but I don't think it is actually BA policy, just something they were considering unless something has changed but I don't think it has? I'm sure someone with far more knowledge than me will be along to clarify this, perhaps.

BA considering policy on extra child guests in Lounges for Golds
Was not there a sort of "promo" this summer, for GGL card holders, about up to 5 guests for lounge access? Maybe they do it again for the winter holidays?
Old Dec 8, 2017, 11:05 am

Originally Posted by Lefly
Was not there a sort of "promo" this summer, for GGL card holders, about up to 5 guests for lounge access? Maybe they do it again for the winter holidays?
I'm not 100% sure to be honest but I do recall reading other articles somewhere. I've got the memory of a Goldfish these days!
Old Dec 8, 2017, 2:01 pm
Jed

Programs: BA Gold, AA 1MM lifetime gold, Starwood gold, Marriott Gold Elite
Brentford 77, as GGL/CCR, could you not have allocated a partner gold card for one of your family? That way all 4 of you would have been able to access First Wing Security and GF, by virtue of guesting privileges.
Old Dec 8, 2017, 2:15 pm

Programs: BAEC - Gold, IHG - Spire Ambassador
My eldest son finished today - he is at boarding school. My little fella won’t break up until Friday 15.
Old Dec 9, 2017, 1:46 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Jed
Brentford 77, as GGL/CCR, could you not have allocated a partner gold card for one of your family? That way all 4 of you would have been able to access First Wing Security and GF, by virtue of guesting privileges.
yes I could and I chose not to. I gave it to a colleague who travels 20+ times a year but normally in Y. Please re read my post. I am not complaining about lack of access and I didn’t seek access to anything I’m not entitled to. I’m highlighting a) a new policy has been implemented and b) implementation has been poor. Not communicated to beneficiaries (silver exec club holders and above) and staff charged with implementation don’t understand what it is they are to implement
710 77345 likes this.
Old Dec 9, 2017, 2:23 am

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by brentford77
yes I could and I chose not to. I gave it to a colleague who travels 20+ times a year but normally in Y. Please re read my post. I am not complaining about lack of access and I didn’t seek access to anything I’m not entitled to. I’m highlighting a) a new policy has been implemented and b) implementation has been poor. Not communicated to beneficiaries (silver exec club holders and above) and staff charged with implementation don’t understand what it is they are to implement
To be fair, I don't think anyone is criticising you for seeking anything you're not entitled to, but most partner gold cards do stay in the family.

I'm hoping to qualify for CCR in May and those closest to me don't travel enough (at least not on OW) to really benefit from a partner card, so I understand the dilemma perfectly.

I agree with you too that, assuming that the people implementing the policy change have got the basic fact right that there is a policy change, it appears to be handled very poorly.
Old Dec 9, 2017, 2:37 am

Programs: Newbie BA Gold
Think the school seasons vary. Our son finished on wed and left town straightaway! Biz checkin and security was pretty quiet.
Old Dec 9, 2017, 2:45 am

Programs: AVIS presidents club, BA GGL, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by brentford77
Once through there I asked the door guardian for the ccr if the usual a 1 guest policy had been relaxed , just in case, and she told me ‘only First passengers are allowed in. I said ‘First plus ccr card holders you mean’ and she said ‘no. Only First passengers’ whilst prodding the coloured briefing sheet she had in front of her. I was in no mood to argue as I clearly couldn’t take the family in anyway so I left it at that. Still, what a shambolic way to treat your regular customers!
This sort of crap really annoys me and I cannot believe it still happens. BA shouldn't be putting customer facing staff on the front door of their most premium of lounges at their home base if the customer facing staff don't know the access rules. I understand you weren't entitled anyway due to there being five of you, but having said that, to not know that CCR card holders can access is just not on.
wyvern, ExpatExp and Flame3601 like this.
Old Dec 9, 2017, 2:47 am

Programs: Hilton HHonors, BAEC Silver
I was under the impression that the relaxed regulations were going to have a soft roll out, taking full effect from something like the 15th Dec through 3rd Jan. GCH's can have up to 5 additional guests I believe but all must be travelling on the same flight and on the same booking. Although not 100% sure of the exact details, I believe the offer has not yet been extended to include outstation lounges.

Last edited by TyneTraveller; Dec 9, 2017 at 3:50 am
Old Dec 9, 2017, 3:08 am

Programs: BA GGL, TK E (*G), ITA exec
Originally Posted by TyneTraveller
I was under the impression that the relaxed regulations were going to have a soft roll out, taking full effect from something like the 15th Dec through 3rd Jan. GCH's can have up to 5 additional guests I believe but all must be travelling on the same flight and on the same booking. Although not 100% sure of the exact details, I believe the offer has not yet been extended to include outstation lounges yet.
Are we talking GGL only... or even simple GCH?
If there is indeed a larger a holidays policy I would like something close to an official announcement somewhere...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.