BA crashes its NPS (Net Promoter Score)

Old Dec 8, 2017, 1:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
BA crashes its NPS (Net Promoter Score)

Raffles has managed to find some rather interesting data about customers perceptions about BA.
YouGov releases highly critical BA report

As has oft been discussed on our forum, about the brand perception vs the profits BA are making. Given that BA don't appear to be giving out these metrics to investors anymore, this makes interesting reading.

About NPS - Originally a metric developed by Bain & Co, NPS looks at whether customers are promoters or not. It's fairly straightforward with customers asked to score a question (Would you be willing to recommend xxx to your friends and family) from 0-10. Ten being the most likely to recommend.
9 or 10 - Promotor
7 - 8 - Neutral
Below 7 - detractor

The calculation takes the percentage of Promoters for the percentage Detractors, to give a score between 100 (all promoters) to -100 (all detractors). Traditionally firms with a high NPS grow faster than those that do not, shareholders would take notice if there was a significant dip in NPS). It should be noted that the YouGov poll does not use the same methodology.
Old Dec 8, 2017, 1:57 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
What should worry BA the most is that people who fly BA are far more critical than those who do not.
Perhaps they are banking that these people do not have a choice on their routings or that the benefits of the EC mean they put up with the cutting mentality.
wyvern, orbitmic and dmp1991 like this.
Old Dec 8, 2017, 2:11 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, *A, Marriott
The YouGov Poll is interesting in that it is asking the question of change over the past year.

I have pointed out previously that the BA surveys that I have taken part in, both the very brief and the lengthy tedious ones, have never asked the questions such as does a change in policy (such as introducing BOB) cause you to change your behaviour. So, I am curious as to how they get the internal reports to management.
Dover2Golf likes this.
Old Dec 8, 2017, 2:21 am

Wow, that is very interesting reading. A pretty consistent decline from last September - exactly when BoB was announced.

NPS as an approach does have its flaws, but even so, that level of decline over such a long period should be taken very seriously.
Old Dec 8, 2017, 3:00 am

Programs: BA GGL
I guess the bigger question that shareholders care about, though, is whether profits have been impacted and, on the basis of recent reports, the only impact is upwards. However, it will be interesting to see what happens over the next year, once the short term benefit of cost cutting is removed and the effect on forward bookings becomes clear.
Old Dec 8, 2017, 3:28 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
BA doesn't have to be liked. It just has to be the least disliked airline that is still flying; people will still want to travel.
KeaneJohn likes this.
Old Dec 8, 2017, 3:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by flatlander
BA doesn't have to be liked. It just has to be the least disliked airline that is still flying; people will still want to travel.
I'll fly BA on specific routes (Caribbean or ZA) especially when using a 2-4-1. For anything else on our schedule, it's ABBA
mrow and dmp1991 like this.
Old Dec 8, 2017, 3:54 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by T8191
I'll fly BA on specific routes (Caribbean or ZA) especially when using a 2-4-1. For anything else on our schedule, it's ABBA
If I've counted correctly, you've flown BA at least 8 times in 2017. The average Brit flies BA less than once a year. So I'm not sure your ABBA strategy is working very well, the history book on the shelf is always repeating itself.
Old Dec 8, 2017, 4:05 am
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
If I've counted correctly, you've flown BA at least 8 times in 2017. The average Brit flies BA less than once a year. So I'm not sure your ABBA strategy is working very well, the history book on the shelf is always repeating itself.
Uncle T, I fear you may just have met your Waterloo . Mind you, the bigger shock is that c-w-s is clearly a closet ABBA fan ... whatever next, a defection to the SK forum? .

The numbers reported will not come as a great surprise, it's been widely reported on here that they've been heading South for a while, and as a result management bonuses will likely be hit. A combination of the two is undoubtedly a strong contributor to the proposed improvements in CW catering. Quite whether that's aimed in the right area to raise the NPS scores again I'm really not sure.
Old Dec 8, 2017, 4:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Good morning, Mr Stalker!

Let's discount the essential JER-LGW legs. We will have taken 5 holidays by year-end. Two l/h with AA [PHX & OGG) and 2 with BA (ANU & CPT [2-4-1]). Add a BA s/h MLA to finish. So on mileage and sector count [excluding JER-LGW], we're about 50/50 BA/AA.

Mileage
AA 27332
BA 24820
EI 602

(ba97.com is awfully slow this morning!)

Last edited by T8191; Dec 8, 2017 at 4:13 am
Old Dec 8, 2017, 4:18 am

Programs: Some
This is is pretty much exactly what I would have expected to see, if anything I'm surprised the BA customer score held above 0. There seems to be a small rebound at the end of the chart so will be interesting to see if this is a dead cat bounce or not...
Old Dec 8, 2017, 4:42 am

Programs: BA - Blue > Bronze > Silver > Bronze > Blue
Originally Posted by T8191
Good morning, Mr Stalker!

Let's discount the essential JER-LGW legs. We will have taken 5 holidays by year-end. Two l/h with AA [PHX & OGG) and 2 with BA (ANU & CPT [2-4-1]). Add a BA s/h MLA to finish. So on mileage and sector count [excluding JER-LGW], we're about 50/50 BA/AA.

Mileage
AA 27332
BA 24820
EI 602

(ba97.com is awfully slow this morning!)
The ironic thing in the context of this thread being that AAs NPS being far from stellar too
Old Dec 8, 2017, 4:44 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Is this not the same 'news' that was posted and mostly ignored several weeks ago?

YouGov - Brandindex - BA declines from 44.1 to 32.5 in a year
Old Dec 8, 2017, 5:02 am

Originally Posted by HIDDY
Is this not the same 'news' that was posted and mostly ignored several weeks ago?

YouGov - Brandindex - BA declines from 44.1 to 32.5 in a year
Nope. It's the bit that was missed out of that report.

And now we can see why...
HIDDY and Tobias-UK like this.
Old Dec 8, 2017, 5:22 am

Programs: BA Exec Club Bronze, Hilton Diamond, Virgin Flying Club Red
BA has such a dominant and near monopolistic position out of LHR, that it would have to become a lot, lot worse than it is now for anything major to change.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.