Using OneWorld miles on BA (Comair)

Old Dec 8, 17, 1:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: Emirates Skywards Gold | South African Airways Voyager Gold
Using OneWorld miles on BA (Comair)

Hi guys

Apologies if this is a silly question, but Iíve got a ton of QR miles that are expiring soon and would like to use them to book a BA (Comair) flight CPT-DUR-CPT. Iím not sure if this is even possible and how many miles it would cost, but I figured since QR and BA are in OW it just might be. Anyone been able to do something like this and know how?

Thank you
Old Dec 8, 17, 1:10 am

It's really a question for the QR forum. Have you tried calling up QR and seeing if you can book?
Old Dec 8, 17, 1:21 am
Original Poster

Iíve tried using the QR website and making a booking for CPT-DUR but it spazzed out saying that It could not find flights for it. I then tried a dummy booking for CPT-JFK and it worked fine. Iím currently in Dublin on vacation and do not have access to the means to call QR at the moment.

Not sure how to proceed and if this is even possible.
Old Dec 8, 17, 2:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by Ahmed777 View Post
Apologies if this is a silly question, but I’ve got a ton of QR miles that are expiring soon and would like to use them to book a BA (Comair) flight CPT-DUR-CPT. I’m not sure if this is even possible and how many miles it would cost, but I figured since QR and BA are in OW it just might be. Anyone been able to do something like this and know how?
Although I agree that it is really a question for the QR board, I would be surprised if you couldn't use QR miles to book these. The flights are operated under a franchise, so they are treated the same as BA flights for almost all passenger-facing purposes.

BAEC members face a similar problem of not being able to book some QF flights online: the problems flights are operated by some (wholly-owned) QF subsidiaries that similarly operate flights for QF that are QF flights for almost all passenger-facing purposes. We can, however, phone BAEC to book them. You may find that something similar is needed if you want to use QR miles to book BA flights operated by Comair.

Award availability on Comair flights is generally pretty good, so if you can't get to the phone straight away and your intended travel is not imminent, you're unlikely to prejudice yourself by waiting until you can phone (although, as always, there are no guarantees). If you have ExpertFlyer access or similar, you can keep tabs on availability for the flights that you want. It could be that your bigger time constraint is when the QR miles actually expire, but we don't know exactly what you mean by "soon".
Old Dec 11, 17, 10:08 pm
Original Poster

Hi guys.

Just wanted to to post a quick update. Got an email reply from QR to say the booking is not possible to do. Guess you cannot book on BA (Comair) using OW miles
Old Dec 12, 17, 1:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IC RA, Kimpton Inner Circle, Amex Plat
It's typically a very good use of BA Avios though. Isn't Comair a OW affiliate rather than member?
Old Dec 12, 17, 3:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by Land-of-Miles View Post
It's typically a very good use of BA Avios though.
It often is, although those who qualify for RFS should remember that the RFS cash element is higher for Comair flights than for BA mainline. This can sometimes make cash fares (especially the promotional O class fares sometimes seen) even better value than RFS.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: