FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Typical WTP change fee (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1881599-typical-wtp-change-fee.html)

WorldClub Dec 7, 2017 12:45 pm

Typical WTP change fee

Since I have no access to the fare rules of a ticket a booked some time ago, I was wondering if someone knows what the typical change fee is for a WTP booking leaving from mainland Europe. I was quoted 650 euro all in changes to change the outbound part 2 weeks later of a DUS-LHR-BOS-LHR-DUS upgraded with Avios to CW for the long haul sectors.

Thank you for your expert advice!

Andriyko Dec 7, 2017 12:51 pm

There is really no such thing as an average change fee as each fare has its own, and without knowing when you purchased the tickets and what you travel dates are, it is not possible to check. However, a few WTP fares that I checked for travel in February have a change fee of EUR 180. You should note, however, that in addition to a change fee you will also need to pay a difference in fare. The quoted 650 EUR includes the difference in fare.

Cymro Dec 7, 2017 12:51 pm

Seems like a lot but what's the fare difference?

Often1 Dec 7, 2017 12:53 pm

If you don't have access, why not start with a call to BA? It may be a pleasant surprise.

WorldClub Dec 7, 2017 1:00 pm

I guess that makes sense if the change fee is 180, that leaves 470 euro and my complete return ticket was 680 while today (if I bought it for the new dates) it’s 1270 euro.

cgtechuk Dec 7, 2017 5:49 pm

If it is the return you are looking to change many of BAs Fare Rules say that if you change the ticket after the first leg has been flown it uses historical pricing and not the current pricing so if there is availability in your fare class in this case you would just be the change fee only

Filthy Monkey Dec 7, 2017 5:57 pm

Originally Posted by cgtechuk (Post 29147704)
If it is the return you are looking to change many of BAs Fare Rules say that if you change the ticket after the first leg has been flown it uses historical pricing and not the current pricing so if there is availability in your fare class in this case you would just be the change fee only

If the initial fare component is unchanged, as in this case, historical pricing will be used anyway. I suspect the additional cost is down to availability of fare class.

cgtechuk Dec 7, 2017 6:02 pm

Originally Posted by Filthy Monkey (Post 29147731)
If the initial fare component is unchanged, as in this case, historical pricing will be used anyway. I suspect the additional cost is down to availability of fare class.

Agreed but surely if this ticket was purchased say during a sale then that fare expired so today;s price is a new fare rule then surely historical pricing would only work after first leg flown as the original fare filing may not be valid any more? This was my experience last week anyway,

Suppose we will not know as the OP doesn't know the original Fare Code

Globaliser Dec 8, 2017 1:57 am

Originally Posted by cgtechuk (Post 29147749)
Agreed but surely if this ticket was purchased say during a sale then that fare expired so today;s price is a new fare rule then surely historical pricing would only work after first leg flown as the original fare filing may not be valid any more?

If you make a change before departure, you don't change the first fare component and all changes are to subsequent fare components, then BA's typical fare rules provide that historical fares can be used if they result in a lower fare than using current prices. That means that the sale fares in force on the previous ticket issue date can still be used.