Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA FLT#288 returns to PHX due to technical issues

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7, 2017, 8:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward

HI all,

I heard BA FLT#288 is returns back to PHX due to technical issues, but the flight has been cancelled by last night.

British Airways flight returns to Sky Harbor due to technical issue - Story KSAZ

The registration number is G-CIVM.

Guys, I hate to telling you something about this. I actually flew on G-CIVM.
Old Dec 7, 2017, 8:56 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
Can you confirm that when you say you flew on G-CIVM you mean previously rather than on the cancelled flight. Your post is somewhat confusing.
Old Dec 7, 2017, 10:13 am
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
Originally Posted by madfish
Can you confirm that when you say you flew on G-CIVM you mean previously rather than on the cancelled flight. Your post is somewhat confusing.
Pretty sure he means on a previous OTHER flight.
Old Dec 7, 2017, 10:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by 355F1
Pretty sure he means on a previous OTHER flight.
If so, why should he "hate" telling us? I've flown an aircraft that had previously crashed - in fact, I had four flights on that aircraft over the following dozen years (in addition to the times I flew on her before the accident).

In contrast, this one's just had a routine technical issue. Big deal - I would expect quite a lot of the aircraft I've flown on to have had to return to origin at some stage in their lives.
Old Dec 7, 2017, 11:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by madfish
Yes, I've flown on this aircraft from LHR-PHX on March 3, 2017. I remember that I did find a registration number from FR24.
Old Dec 7, 2017, 11:17 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by N830MH
Yes, I've flown on this aircraft from LHR-PHX on March 3, 2017. I remember that I did find a registration number from FR24.
So in 9 months the same plane has probably flown around 500 sectors with varying duration and distances, but assuming 4K miles each sector, means it has done around 2million miles since you were on board. I really do t think your previous experience is much to go by when reporting a technical fault.
Old Dec 7, 2017, 2:26 pm

Programs: Mucci des Epices Exotiques, BAEC Gold,EK Gold,SPG,Marriott,Club Carlson
My 80 year-old mother was on that flight. Not really phased by it, just annoyed that she has to reschedule. They have her on tonight’s flight.
Old Dec 7, 2017, 3:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by To Eat.To Drink
My 80 year-old mother was on that flight. Not really phased by it, just annoyed that she has to reschedule. They have her on tonight’s flight.
Hope your mother will be just fine. She will be on the flight tonight. You will see what happen. If her flight is on-time or not. It's up to flight crew.
Old Dec 7, 2017, 4:00 pm

Programs: BA Exec Club Gold, *G, EK Skywards Silver
Originally Posted by N830MH
You will see what happen. If her flight is on-time or not. It's up to flight crew.
Eh?
Old Dec 7, 2017, 4:14 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I imagine some choices of wording in this thread may look a bit unorthodox but rest assured all is well and I am sure we can accept the diversity of communication approaches, representing as it does the diversity of FlyerTalk's membership.

And indeed hopefully all passengers are now safely on their way.
Old Dec 7, 2017, 5:27 pm

Problems around planes that have/dad technical issues can be interesting and I learnt you need to be careful with what you say.

I was on G-VIIO a few days before it had its unfortunate engine issue and subsequent fire on take-off at LAS. This summer I was on it again going to Florida. During the flight my daughter was going through the magazine and asked which plane we were on when she reached the section on BA's fleet. I said a 777 and that we were actually on the plane that had the fire at LAS. She has flown loads of time and is not nervous. But as I said it I looked up and the look of fear in the guys eyes next to us in the window seat was a picture as he gripped the arm rests. Feeling guilty I had to then give a little spech to my daughter on how it was now a new engine and the frame would have been checked and it was probably the safest plane in the sky now. It ws for him and you could see him starting to relax but it shows that sometimes you need to be careful what you say. Of course I then put my foot in it again when reliving the event with a group that had been on the plane (we were a wedding party so a few groups on the plane). One of the group needed lots of reassurance on the return flight as he was so nervous he would be on the same plane.
Old Dec 8, 2017, 2:14 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by TPloser
but it shows that sometimes you need to be careful what you say
Some time ago I remember I was stuck in row 1 reading a newspaper - I think at the time the quality papers were all broadsheet - while people were still boarding (not something I would normally do). The SCCM came over to me and quietly asked me to fold my newspaper differently: there was a gory headline and photo on the front page of some non-BA crash somewhere in Europe and it was unsettling passengers entering the aircraft. I had read that story a few minutes previously, lost interest and moved on to tax reform or something more fascinating. Obviously I was happy to oblige but yes, one does need to be careful sometimes.
Old Dec 10, 2017, 7:10 am

Programs: BA (GGL G4L), AA (Gold), HH (Diamond); Marriott (Gold)
More info on this one at http://avherald.com/h?article=4b208332 and other new sources. In short, an issue with engine #3 needing to be shutoff right after taking (video showing sparks/small fire from the engine before it was shutdown). As far as I can tell, G-CIVM is still at PHX.

Last edited by dylanks; Dec 10, 2017 at 7:20 am Reason: fix link
Old Dec 10, 2017, 7:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
The visible and audible signs are reminiscent of this incident, which was beautifully captured on video:-

dylanks likes this.
Old Dec 10, 2017, 10:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Originally Posted by Globaliser
If so, why should he "hate" telling us? I've flown an aircraft that had previously crashed - in fact, I had four flights on that aircraft over the following dozen years (in addition to the times I flew on her before the accident).
The OP's communication style is based on American Sign Language and some terms don't come across well into more standard English.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.