Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA FLT#288 returns to PHX due to technical issues

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA FLT#288 returns to PHX due to technical issues

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2017, 11:29 am

Programs: BA (GGL G4L), AA (Gold), HH (Diamond); Marriott (Gold)

here's G-CIVM parked on the far west end of PHX just now.
PETER01 likes this.
Old Dec 10, 2017, 6:21 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

It was declared as a Mayday call at 52 seconds on the video which has ATC coverage. (a different one from the one dylanks has posted)

At 2:14 the flight crew state it was an engine surge caused by overheating as confirmed in the avherald report.

Last edited by PETER01; Dec 10, 2017 at 6:27 pm
Old Dec 11, 2017, 4:01 pm

Looks like G-CIVM is re-positioning PHX-BDA-LHR today as BA 9174... my guess is that it's being flown back to the UK with 3 engines for repair back in the UK.

Last edited by dylanks; Dec 11, 2017 at 10:11 pm
Old Dec 11, 2017, 6:18 pm

Programs: BA Executive Club
Got to be impressed by the professionalism displayed by pilots and ATC in that video.
But is there some kind of jinx on a Speedbird38 callsign!
dylanks likes this.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 6:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by dylanks
Looks like G-CIVM is re-positioning to BDA (Bermuda) today as BA 9174.
I wonder if it will pick up the BDA-LON flight or just reposition all the way back to London for repairs?
Old Dec 11, 2017, 7:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by ElmhurstNick
I wonder if it will pick up the BDA-LON flight or just reposition all the way back to London for repairs?
Yes, they will fixed the aircraft. This flight is heading to London. It will change the engines.
Old Dec 12, 2017, 4:39 am

Originally Posted by ElmhurstNick
Looks like the final route was actually PHX-BDA-CWL per British Airways B747-400 G-CIVM Returns from Phoenix. | The BA Source , so it flew back empty with 3 engines and is now on its way for repairs.
Old Dec 15, 2017, 2:17 am

Programs: Mucci Blue, BAEC Gold, Blockbuster Video card
AFAIK they would never schedule a 3 engine revenue service. But 3 engine flight home for repairs is, I believe, not something to cause the pilots undue worry - they merely have precise procedures for this. Remember, the thing has to be able to cope with an engine failure during takeoff roll, after V1 (ie after speed at which a runway stop is no longer viable). So there's no question at all it can fly on 3 engines.

Interestingly the 747 can actually carry a 5th engine on a pod on the left wing, inbound of engine 2. Doesn't happen very often - but can be used to ferry an engine out to another stricken plane. Again, there's a chapter in the OPs for it. Special setup for the FMC etc.
Old Dec 15, 2017, 2:31 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by TPloser
Problems around planes that have/dad technical issues can be interesting and I learnt you need to be careful with what you say.

I was on G-VIIO a few days before it had its unfortunate engine issue and subsequent fire on take-off at LAS. This summer I was on it again going to Florida. During the flight my daughter was going through the magazine and asked which plane we were on when she reached the section on BA's fleet. I said a 777 and that we were actually on the plane that had the fire at LAS. She has flown loads of time and is not nervous. But as I said it I looked up and the look of fear in the guys eyes next to us in the window seat was a picture as he gripped the arm rests. Feeling guilty I had to then give a little spech to my daughter on how it was now a new engine and the frame would have been checked and it was probably the safest plane in the sky now. It ws for him and you could see him starting to relax but it shows that sometimes you need to be careful what you say. Of course I then put my foot in it again when reliving the event with a group that had been on the plane (we were a wedding party so a few groups on the plane). One of the group needed lots of reassurance on the return flight as he was so nervous he would be on the same plane.
I only told Mrs Geemac about VIIO's history AFTER it took us to TPA, this not long after it returned to service, to prevent her worrying. After explaining how I knew, she now watches out for registrations when we fly! Our return flight was also VIIO!
Old Dec 15, 2017, 8:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by GeeMac
I only told Mrs Geemac about VIIO's history AFTER it took us to TPA, this not long after it returned to service, to prevent her worrying. After explaining how I knew, she now watches out for registrations when we fly! Our return flight was also VIIO!
This actually happening G-VIIO at LAS in a few years ago. When the captain saw the engine is on fires and he aborts takeoff. He called fire rescue to come near the plane. All passengers & the crew had to be evacuated from the aircraft.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.