Connection in JNB

Reply

Old Dec 7, 17, 7:55 am
  #1  
formerly Christopher Sutton
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 74
Connection in JNB

Hi all,
Just wanted to check that the rules havenít changed. My partner and I are on the BA57 to JNB in Jan in J and then have a connecting flight (separate ticket/booking) in Y to Cape Town with Commair under a BA booking a couple of hours later. Can I check that Iím still entitled to use the BA lounge when arriving in JNB please?
Thanks in advance, Chris
SurreyFlightPath is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 17, 8:26 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: London, UK
Programs: BA Gold, Oneworld Emerald
Posts: 199
I think as you are connecting to a domestic flight, you will need to go to the domestic terminal. The BA lounge is in the international terminal and is not open in the mornings anyway. If you have BA Silver / Oneworld Sapphire and above, then I believe you can use the SLOW lounge in JNB Domestic terminal but I'm sure the experts here will be able to confirm this.
Firipu is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 17, 12:44 pm
  #3  
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Amsterdam and London
Programs: BA LTG, CCR, AA EXP, Starwood LT Plt
Posts: 186
You do need to go to the domestic terminal I can't answer the specifics of J to Y access on a separate PNR but the Slow lounge definitely accessible with Silver / Gold status unless something has changed. FYI I was there a couple of weeks ago and unless they moved the project along faster than expected, you should be aware there are currently no showers / restrooms as they're under renovation (which is annoying after an overnight flight). And it was busy, busy, busy!

Last edited by Fritz; Dec 7, 17 at 12:44 pm Reason: spelling
Fritz is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 17, 3:13 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: JAX
Programs: Former BA/AA/CP/LY employee, BA Blue, IHG Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 2,456
You should be okay to enter the SLOW lounge upon production of your inbound J boarding pass.
JAXBA is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 17, 3:32 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: West London
Programs: BA (gold) ... and RAF (or equivalent!) for those places BA (or it's partners) don't fly to ...
Posts: 121
We were there last week and the renovation project was ongoing ... no washrooms (or other facilities) in the Lounge and a long walk to the nearest public ones!
As for access, Oneworld Sapphire and Emerald can only gain entry if travelling to a South African destination not served by Comair, otherwise only Club passengers are permitted entry.
http://www.slow.co.za/lounge-access

Last edited by soldierguy; Dec 7, 17 at 3:41 pm
soldierguy is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 17, 4:13 pm
  #6  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: London
Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Posts: 32,827
Originally Posted by soldierguy View Post
As for access, Oneworld Sapphire and Emerald can only gain entry if travelling to a South African destination not served by Comair, otherwise only Club passengers are permitted entry.
SLOW
Is this a temporary restriction while the building works are going on? That page clearly says "oneworld qualifying cardholders" in addition to BA Golds and Silvers.
Globaliser is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 17, 4:23 pm
  #7  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: MAN and LON
Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, SPG LT Plat, IC RA, Marriott Plat, Amex Plat
Posts: 13,241
Given the shambles that is connections in JNB it is probably advantageous to transfer landside.
Land-of-Miles is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 17, 4:28 pm
  #8  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: London
Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Posts: 32,827
Originally Posted by Land-of-Miles View Post
Given the shambles that is connections in JNB it is probably advantageous to transfer landside.
There is no alternative to a landside transfer, whether international --> domestic (as in the OP's question) or domestic --> international. Indeed, I believe that there's no alternative to a landside transfer even on domestic --> domestic.
Globaliser is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 17, 5:45 pm
  #9  
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Glasgow, UK
Programs: Seigneur des Tarifs Utils First Class Mucci with Honours :) - BA Gold
Posts: 1,215
If it is any help the domestic lounge let me in with my physical gold card and a Boarding pass for Safair (LCC) so not even BA, And my arrival ticket from LHR was in Y so the rules at this lounge are pretty relaxed you will be fine.
cgtechuk is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 17, 1:27 am
  #10  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: MAN and LON
Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, SPG LT Plat, IC RA, Marriott Plat, Amex Plat
Posts: 13,241
Originally Posted by Globaliser View Post
There is no alternative to a landside transfer, whether international --> domestic (as in the OP's question) or domestic --> international. Indeed, I believe that there's no alternative to a landside transfer even on domestic --> domestic.
Recently did International to International and was lucky that an elderly couple also travelling on to LHR in F with us helped us expedite our way through the shambles that was connections. We had a 90 minute connection and probably would not have made it without their assistance.

it would have been quicker to connect landside.
Land-of-Miles is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 17, 2:16 am
  #11  
Ambassador: World of Hyatt
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: UK - the nearest airport is named after a motorway !
Posts: 3,709
Originally Posted by Land-of-Miles View Post
Recently did International to International and was lucky that an elderly couple also travelling on to LHR in F with us helped us expedite our way through the shambles that was connections. We had a 90 minute connection and probably would not have made it without their assistance.

it would have been quicker to connect landside.
Honestly,intl -> intl connections at JNB are straightforward, and it's certainly not quicker to connect landside [if not on a ZA passport]. Please don't post incorrect information which may cause someone else to make the 'wrong' decision.
Stewie Mac is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 17, 2:27 am
  #12  
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: London
Programs: BA Gold
Posts: 601
Sorry, I'm a bit confused - I'm a GCH and in the same situation as the OP, arriving in J on BA, then transferring to BA Comair on a separate ticket in Y to CPT. I'm hoping the international J boarding pass gets us into the lounge as I don't really get the "Oneworld Sapphire and Emerald can only gain entry if travelling to a South African destination not served by Comair, otherwise only Club passengers are permitted entry." (which I see is what it says on the website). Surely if you are travelling to a SA destination not served by Comair, you're flying with a different airline?
cosmo74 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 17, 2:30 am
  #13  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Berlin, Germany and SW Florida
Programs: BA Gold, UA Premier Platinum, Hyatt Globalist
Posts: 20,070
Not to get into semantics, but you don't have a connection, just two different tickets. Just be sure that by 'a couple of hours' is sufficient padding to get through JNB.
LondonElite is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 17, 2:35 am
  #14  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: London
Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Posts: 32,827
Originally Posted by cosmo74 View Post
Sorry, I'm a bit confused - I'm a GCH and in the same situation as the OP, arriving in J on BA, then transferring to BA Comair on a separate ticket in Y to CPT. I'm hoping the international J boarding pass gets us into the lounge ...
Your BA Gold will get you into the SLOW lounge if you're flying BA domestic operated by Comair. It's exactly as you would expect, and utterly conventional. You would get entry even if your JNB-CPT in Y was the only flight you were doing, just as you'd get into GF if flying LHR-EDI.

The SLOW lounge may in some circumstances allow you entry, even if you are flying some other airline, but that's really not relevant to your situation.
Globaliser is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 17, 2:40 am
  #15  
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: London
Programs: BA Gold
Posts: 601
Originally Posted by Globaliser View Post
Your BA Gold will get you into the SLOW lounge if you're flying BA domestic operated by Comair. It's exactly as you would expect, and utterly conventional. You would get entry even if your JNB-CPT in Y was the only flight you were doing, just as you'd get into GF if flying LHR-EDI.

The SLOW lounge may in some circumstances allow you entry, even if you are flying some other airline, but that's really not relevant to your situation.
Thanks, the wording about destinations not served by Comair is very confusing.
cosmo74 is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread