Connection in JNB

Old Dec 7, 17, 8:55 am
Original Poster
formerly Christopher Sutton

Connection in JNB

Hi all,
Just wanted to check that the rules havenít changed. My partner and I are on the BA57 to JNB in Jan in J and then have a connecting flight (separate ticket/booking) in Y to Cape Town with Commair under a BA booking a couple of hours later. Can I check that Iím still entitled to use the BA lounge when arriving in JNB please?
Thanks in advance, Chris
Old Dec 7, 17, 9:26 am

Programs: BA Gold, Oneworld Emerald
I think as you are connecting to a domestic flight, you will need to go to the domestic terminal. The BA lounge is in the international terminal and is not open in the mornings anyway. If you have BA Silver / Oneworld Sapphire and above, then I believe you can use the SLOW lounge in JNB Domestic terminal but I'm sure the experts here will be able to confirm this.
Old Dec 7, 17, 1:44 pm

Programs: BA LTG, CCR, AA EXP, Starwood LT Plt
You do need to go to the domestic terminal I can't answer the specifics of J to Y access on a separate PNR but the Slow lounge definitely accessible with Silver / Gold status unless something has changed. FYI I was there a couple of weeks ago and unless they moved the project along faster than expected, you should be aware there are currently no showers / restrooms as they're under renovation (which is annoying after an overnight flight). And it was busy, busy, busy!

Last edited by Fritz; Dec 7, 17 at 1:44 pm Reason: spelling
Old Dec 7, 17, 4:13 pm

Programs: Former BA/AA/CP/LY employee, BA Blue, IHG Platinum, Hilton Diamond
You should be okay to enter the SLOW lounge upon production of your inbound J boarding pass.
Old Dec 7, 17, 4:32 pm

Programs: BA (gold) ... and RAF (or equivalent!) for those places BA (or it's partners) don't fly to ...
We were there last week and the renovation project was ongoing ... no washrooms (or other facilities) in the Lounge and a long walk to the nearest public ones!
As for access, Oneworld Sapphire and Emerald can only gain entry if travelling to a South African destination not served by Comair, otherwise only Club passengers are permitted entry.
http://www.slow.co.za/lounge-access

Last edited by soldierguy; Dec 7, 17 at 4:41 pm
Old Dec 7, 17, 5:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by soldierguy View Post
As for access, Oneworld Sapphire and Emerald can only gain entry if travelling to a South African destination not served by Comair, otherwise only Club passengers are permitted entry.
SLOW
Is this a temporary restriction while the building works are going on? That page clearly says "oneworld qualifying cardholders" in addition to BA Golds and Silvers.
Old Dec 7, 17, 5:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, SPG LT Plat, IC RA, Marriott Plat, Amex Plat
Given the shambles that is connections in JNB it is probably advantageous to transfer landside.
Old Dec 7, 17, 5:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Land-of-Miles View Post
Given the shambles that is connections in JNB it is probably advantageous to transfer landside.
There is no alternative to a landside transfer, whether international --> domestic (as in the OP's question) or domestic --> international. Indeed, I believe that there's no alternative to a landside transfer even on domestic --> domestic.
Old Dec 7, 17, 6:45 pm

Programs: Seigneur des Tarifs Utils First Class Mucci with Honours :) - BA Gold
If it is any help the domestic lounge let me in with my physical gold card and a Boarding pass for Safair (LCC) so not even BA, And my arrival ticket from LHR was in Y so the rules at this lounge are pretty relaxed you will be fine.
Old Dec 8, 17, 2:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, SPG LT Plat, IC RA, Marriott Plat, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Globaliser View Post
There is no alternative to a landside transfer, whether international --> domestic (as in the OP's question) or domestic --> international. Indeed, I believe that there's no alternative to a landside transfer even on domestic --> domestic.
Recently did International to International and was lucky that an elderly couple also travelling on to LHR in F with us helped us expedite our way through the shambles that was connections. We had a 90 minute connection and probably would not have made it without their assistance.

it would have been quicker to connect landside.
Old Dec 8, 17, 3:16 am
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Location: UK - the nearest airport is named after a motorway !
Originally Posted by Land-of-Miles View Post
Recently did International to International and was lucky that an elderly couple also travelling on to LHR in F with us helped us expedite our way through the shambles that was connections. We had a 90 minute connection and probably would not have made it without their assistance.

it would have been quicker to connect landside.
Honestly,intl -> intl connections at JNB are straightforward, and it's certainly not quicker to connect landside [if not on a ZA passport]. Please don't post incorrect information which may cause someone else to make the 'wrong' decision.
Old Dec 8, 17, 3:27 am

Programs: BA Gold
Sorry, I'm a bit confused - I'm a GCH and in the same situation as the OP, arriving in J on BA, then transferring to BA Comair on a separate ticket in Y to CPT. I'm hoping the international J boarding pass gets us into the lounge as I don't really get the "Oneworld Sapphire and Emerald can only gain entry if travelling to a South African destination not served by Comair, otherwise only Club passengers are permitted entry." (which I see is what it says on the website). Surely if you are travelling to a SA destination not served by Comair, you're flying with a different airline?
Old Dec 8, 17, 3:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, UA Premier Platinum, Hyatt Globalist
Not to get into semantics, but you don't have a connection, just two different tickets. Just be sure that by 'a couple of hours' is sufficient padding to get through JNB.
Old Dec 8, 17, 3:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cosmo74 View Post
Sorry, I'm a bit confused - I'm a GCH and in the same situation as the OP, arriving in J on BA, then transferring to BA Comair on a separate ticket in Y to CPT. I'm hoping the international J boarding pass gets us into the lounge ...
Your BA Gold will get you into the SLOW lounge if you're flying BA domestic operated by Comair. It's exactly as you would expect, and utterly conventional. You would get entry even if your JNB-CPT in Y was the only flight you were doing, just as you'd get into GF if flying LHR-EDI.

The SLOW lounge may in some circumstances allow you entry, even if you are flying some other airline, but that's really not relevant to your situation.
Old Dec 8, 17, 3:40 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Globaliser View Post
Your BA Gold will get you into the SLOW lounge if you're flying BA domestic operated by Comair. It's exactly as you would expect, and utterly conventional. You would get entry even if your JNB-CPT in Y was the only flight you were doing, just as you'd get into GF if flying LHR-EDI.

The SLOW lounge may in some circumstances allow you entry, even if you are flying some other airline, but that's really not relevant to your situation.
Thanks, the wording about destinations not served by Comair is very confusing.

Search this Thread