Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Connection in JNB

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8, 2017, 2:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
FWIW, this may be a useful point for me to repeat my recommended walking route for international --> domestic connections (with which some other FTers agree). It is less crowded than the route you would take if you were simply to follow the signs.

When you emerge from customs, the main public meet-and-greet area is to your right, with the SA re-check facility ahead and slightly to the left. Do not go into the main meet-and-greet area.

Instead keep to the left and turn hard left opposite the SA re-check facility. There is an up escalator here. Go up that. At the top, turn left, exit through the door and turn left again. Walk around the atrium (the public meet-and-greet area is below you at this point). Continue through the corridor lined with shops on both sides (Woolworths is on the left hand side of this corridor).

When you emerge from that corridor, there's an escalator to your right. Go up that, and you will be in the Terminal B check-in area. Comair check-in desks are towards the far end of the building, closer to domestic departures security.
cosmo74 likes this.
Old Dec 8, 2017, 4:25 am

Programs: Mucci Blue, BAEC Gold, Blockbuster Video card
We actually paid for the BidAir 'FlyThru' meet and greet service - met pretty much at the plane doors, fast tracked through immigration, down to baggage, and dropped by our polite and efficient host at the elevator up to the SLOW lounge.

I'd spend the money again next time for the convenience, quite happily as it's small-ish potatoes (I think about 40 quid) compared to the flight costs overall.

The toilet thing was an issue but not a huge deal when we were there. Didn't have a chance to test the entry via BA status without premium onward cabin as in the end we flew club on Comair so I think we qualified both ways.

So can't vouch for the ease of entry / chances of haggling with the lounge dragons.

But they were lovely lounges though. In particular the views from the toilets in CPT were interesting - floor to ceiling windows in the cubicle, looking out onto the apron (with blinds set up to stop people looking in etc). Plane geek's dream loos really.

HTH

Pascoe
Old Dec 8, 2017, 6:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Stewie Mac
Honestly,intl -> intl connections at JNB are straightforward, and it's certainly not quicker to connect landside [if not on a ZA passport]. Please don't post incorrect information which may cause someone else to make the 'wrong' decision.
It could be very straightforward if it didn't involve a single manned desk processing a large and growing queue of connecting passengers very slowly (many of whom seemed inexperienced travellers) with seemingly no urgency or appreciation of the timeliness of connecting flights. Our travel companions it seems had experienced the same issue many times before, so I am guessing this was not a one off problem.

Without help we absolutely would have missed our connecting flights.
Old Dec 8, 2017, 6:22 am

Programs: BA Executive Club (Silver), Le Club Accor (Silver)
I can confirm back in September I flew Comair JNB-CPT on the cheapest Y ticket I could find, and my AAdvantage Platinum card (Oneworld Sapphire) was happily accepted by SLOW for entry.

One of the best domestic lounge food and beverage offerings anywhere in the world I thought!
Old Dec 8, 2017, 7:32 am

Programs: AA MM, AA EXP; OW Emerald, EK silver
If you have any concerns at all about transferring in JNB take advantage of one of the 'meet and greet' services - you'll avoid any lines or delays and you will be transferred by the most rapid route. Saves all concerns and as others have mentioned, more than worth the small cost.
Old Dec 8, 2017, 7:52 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by dwugson
If you have any concerns at all about transferring in JNB take advantage of one of the 'meet and greet' services - you'll avoid any lines or delays and you will be transferred by the most rapid route. Saves all concerns and as others have mentioned, more than worth the small cost.
Interesting. How do you book that?
Old Dec 8, 2017, 8:10 am

Programs: AA MM, AA EXP; OW Emerald, EK silver
We got ours through Menzies; BidAir also have a meet and greet service. Don't have the exact details but check 'meet and great services JNB' on line for the links. We felt like VIPs! Will definitely be arranging the same for our next trip in August. Others on this forum might be able to give you the full contact info.

This is the Menzies email : [email protected]

Last edited by dwugson; Dec 8, 2017 at 8:14 am Reason: added info
Old Dec 8, 2017, 8:22 am

I used BidAir a couple of months ago. ZAR715 plus VAT and was met at the plane.

Email [email protected]
Old Dec 8, 2017, 8:28 am

Programs: BA Gold
Thanks both!
Old Dec 8, 2017, 9:43 am

Programs: UA-SIL MR-TIT HYT-GBL IHG-PLT HH-DIA WYN-PLT AMEX-PLT
Very straightforward... AA EXPLAT/OWE card and a Comair flight in Y was no problem.

Very nice lounge at JNB (better than BA Galleries First on the international side in my opinion). Construction ongoing made the lack of restrooms a bit of a temporary downside, but great lounge and glad they are putting investment into it!

CPT SLOW was even better — perhaps the best domestic lounge I’ve been to — great all around.

Great job SLOW lounges! I’m also partial to barista made espresso drinks — that was another huge upside at both lounges.
Old Dec 8, 2017, 9:51 am

Programs: BAEC GFL, GGL, Hilton Diamond, EuroBonus Gold for Life, SPG Plat Elite
Smile Connections at JNB

Originally Posted by Land-of-Miles
Recently did International to International and was lucky that an elderly couple also travelling on to LHR in F with us helped us expedite our way through the shambles that was connections. We had a 90 minute connection and probably would not have made it without their assistance.

it would have been quicker to connect landside.

Having experienced the shambles that was transfer connections on the outbound, returning I decided to transfer land side. It was no better, marginally worse. I think the whole of JNB will melt down soon.
Old Dec 8, 2017, 11:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by schertz
Very straightforward... AA EXPLAT/OWE card and a Comair flight in Y was no problem.

Very nice lounge at JNB (better than BA Galleries First on the international side in my opinion). Construction ongoing made the lack of restrooms a bit of a temporary downside, but great lounge and glad they are putting investment into it!

CPT SLOW was even better — perhaps the best domestic lounge I’ve been to — great all around.

Great job SLOW lounges! I’m also partial to barista made espresso drinks — that was another huge upside at both lounges.
beware peak times in the CPT SLOW lounge. On our trip through a couple of weeks ago it was standing room only (short if schlepping our hand luggage up to the mezzanine). We decamped to the PP lounge next door for a bit until it quietend down.
Old Dec 8, 2017, 11:14 am

Programs: Mucci des canapes, Skywards Gold, BAEC Gold, IC Plat Amb, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by mec72
Interesting. How do you book that?
I used Pearl Assist last time through JNB (haven't got their web address to hand but Google will do the trick) - very efficient and good value US$ 59 for up to 4 people, the website works well. (Bidair never replied to my e-mails).
Old Feb 11, 2018, 5:47 am
formerly Christopher Sutton
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by JAXBA
You should be okay to enter the SLOW lounge upon production of your inbound J boarding pass.

Just wanted to update everyone on actual events following this discussion and post. Connection was very straight forward. Immigration was relatively efficient. Bags arrived fairly quickly and walk to Comair to check-in was a doddle though with bags I advise everyone to take the lifts up to domestic check-in. There was a Comair domestic connection check-in desk as you leave international arrivals but looked fairly time consuming and inefficient so we just made our way to standard check-in.

Re: SLOW Lounge. Lady at check-in said I was fine to use the lounge however upon presenting my J arrival boarding card was told under no circumstances was I entitled or able to use the lounge unless I was in possession of a J domestic ticket! So wasn’t fine I’m afraid.

Chris
Old Feb 11, 2018, 6:04 am

Originally Posted by SurreyFlightPath
Re: SLOW Lounge. Lady at check-in said I was fine to use the lounge however upon presenting my J arrival boarding card was told under no circumstances was I entitled or able to use the lounge unless I was in possession of a J domestic ticket! So wasn’t fine I’m afraid.
I had the same about a month ago.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.