Wiki Posts
Search

Cheaper to fly more flights?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7, 2017, 7:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC: Silver. Nothing else as TopCashBack trumps all hotel programs
Cheaper to fly more flights?

So confused. Why is it £2 cheaper to take the exact same london to washington flight. but with two "free" flights to and from Glasgow?
Old Dec 7, 2017, 7:39 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, HH Diamond, Radisson VIP, IHG Diamond Elite
Originally Posted by cupsandsaucers
So confused. Why is it £2 cheaper to take the exact same london to washington flight. but with two "free" flights to and from Glasgow?
Shorter total flight times (that is direct flights vs. connecting flights) have more value. That's why connecting flights are often cheaper than direct point-to-point flights.
Original Poster

FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
Supply, demand, competition, etc.

Why can it be £2000 cheaper to fly DUB-LHR-JFK rather than just LHR-JFK
ahmetdouas likes this.
Old Dec 7, 2017, 7:41 am
Original Poster

So why not just not turn up for the DUB part?
Old Dec 7, 2017, 7:42 am

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
So why not just not turn up for the DUB part?
Because it's sold with a condition that you have to fly it in order, and that if you don't turn up, your remaining flights are cancelled.
Old Dec 7, 2017, 7:44 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Cymro
Because it's sold with a condition that you have to fly it in order, and that if you don't turn up, your remaining flights are cancelled.
Oh ok. I think I follow. So it's assuming people from London will want a direct flight. However from Glasgow I may be tempted to fly direct on another carrier, ergo they tempt me to BA with a lower fare? (overall)
Old Dec 7, 2017, 7:49 am

I thought with your vast travel knowledge and expertise that you would know all this stuff already, right?
Old Dec 7, 2017, 7:53 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Oh ok. I think I follow. So it's assuming people from London will want a direct flight. However from Glasgow I may be tempted to fly direct on another carrier, ergo they tempt me to BA with a lower fare? (overall)
Bingo. However note that BA release at 355 days, and many airlines release seats at 300 or 330 days. So the full competition effect will not be in these fares.

On the other hand, if you start from INV and go IAD but return from BWI instead, it's only £777 in WTP.
Old Dec 7, 2017, 7:55 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rossmacd
I thought with your vast travel knowledge and expertise that you would know all this stuff already, right?
You going to be able to give me a bit more information on that passive aggressive little cat scratch? What are you talking about.
Old Dec 7, 2017, 7:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
Pretty much.
Old Dec 7, 2017, 8:00 am

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Last summer I found that it was $700 cheaper to fly 109 miles from MSN to ORD rather than take the bus to start a TATL. Ironically the flight was cancelled owing to a thunderstorm and there were no seats to connect to the next available TATL so I took the bus anyway at my own expense. I thought it better not to ask for a refund for the MSN-ORD leg.
frank_poulankh likes this.
Old Dec 7, 2017, 8:07 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

You certainly came to the right place to get the answer to that question.
Old Dec 7, 2017, 9:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
You going to be able to give me a bit more information on that passive aggressive little cat scratch? What are you talking about.
There's a lot to learn here. Sometimes reading is better than writing.
Old Dec 7, 2017, 9:33 am

You have flown dozens of carriers in the last 5 years but didn't know that indirect flights such as ex-EU, ex-GLA/INV etc were often (much) cheaper?
rossmacd likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.