Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Error Fare Conundrum (Re-pricing)

Search this Thread

Old May 25, 2017, 4:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Seigneur des Tarifs Utils First Class Mucci with Honours :) - BA GGL / CCR
The Error Fare Conundrum (Re-pricing)

Hi All,

So here is a theoretical question for you... Asking for a friend lol

If someone had an error fare ticket (Well the assumption it is given that the fare was 0.00 and it was just taxes paid) If the first half of the ticket gets flown and the fare rules allowed a change at historical pricing once the first leg had been flown would it be possible to extend the trip by another week if the change fee was paid and availability of the bucket existed? Or would you be told to "Sling yer hook"

How would you find out what fare code your ticket is priced on to see what rules apply?

***UPDATE AT THE BOTTOM***

Last edited by cgtechuk; Dec 7, 2017 at 5:52 pm
Old May 25, 2017, 4:16 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by cgtechuk
Hi All,

If someone had an error fare ticket (Well the assumption it is given that the fare was 0.00 and it was just taxes paid) If the first half of the ticket gets flown and the fare rules allowed a change at historical pricing once the first leg had been flown would it be possible to extend the trip by another week if the change fee was paid and availability of the bucket existed? Or would you be told to "Sling yer hook"

How would you find out what fare code your ticket is priced on to see what rules apply?
I suspect the ticket would be repriced at the historical fare - but the correct fare rather than the error fare.
Old May 25, 2017, 4:32 pm

You should be able to see the fare basis through the MyFlights app/web tool.

However my advice to your friend (cough) in this situation would be not to ask. Either fly on the original inbound, or bin it and find a cheap alternative way of getting home the following week.
Old May 25, 2017, 4:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cgtechuk
Hi All,

If you call a human's attention to the fare, I would expect the airline to void the ticket.
Old May 25, 2017, 6:17 pm

Programs: Ex-BA/AA/CP/LY staff, BA Executive Club Blue, IHG Diamond, Marriott Silver, Chick-fil-A Red
Occasionally there are actual 0.00 or 1.00 fares on S/H routes. Care to share your route and date of booking so we can see if a real 0.00 or an error? If it's real, you shouldn't have any issue changing.
Old May 25, 2017, 6:45 pm

Programs: BA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
deleted

Last edited by Acid; May 25, 2017 at 7:01 pm
Old May 25, 2017, 6:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Seigneur des Tarifs Utils First Class Mucci with Honours :) - BA GGL / CCR
Originally Posted by JAXBA
Occasionally there are actual 0.00 or 1.00 fares on S/H routes. Care to share your route and date of booking so we can see if a real 0.00 or an error? If it's real, you shouldn't have any issue changing.
Hi JAXBA, Thanks for your reply. It is a L/H flight which makes me believe that it is an error.

Surely to share the details on here given that BA look at the forum could end up highlighting it

I have ticket numbers etc and it is confirmed mind you.
Old May 25, 2017, 7:58 pm
Suspended

Trying to change a mistake fare ticket sounds dangerous
Old May 25, 2017, 9:38 pm

Programs: EI AerClub Concierge, EK Gold, BA Gold, BD Gold (Retired), HHonors Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold
Don't kill the golden goose...

Have you tried changing the ticket on-line?
Old May 25, 2017, 11:17 pm

Programs: BA Gold, VS Gold, Eurostar CB, IHG Spire, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz President Circle
Not inquiring for a 'friend', just out of interest.. what happens if you have an error fare and there is a schedule change? Does it go down manual re-ticketing route or is it automatic? If manual (or for any other reason its spotted late), would they really cancel/re-price if it was months and months after original rebooking?
Old May 26, 2017, 12:01 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold & GGL & CCR, HH Diam, Bonvoy Titanium, IHG Spire, Tastecard
Originally Posted by Calchas
If you call a human's attention to the fare, I would expect the airline to void the ticket.
+1
Old May 26, 2017, 1:52 am

Just keep your mouth shut and fly the originally booked itinerary
Old May 26, 2017, 2:00 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, HH Diamond.
why not try a dummy change on line, it will give you the price and you can choose to continue, or not.
Old May 26, 2017, 5:36 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dambus
Don't kill the golden goose...

Have you tried changing the ticket on-line?

Originally Posted by stewaran
why not try a dummy change on line, it will give you the price and you can choose to continue, or not.
Online just says "If you wish to change or cancel this booking, please contact us and we will tell you if we can meet your requests. All amendements are subject to availability"

I might even forgive them for spelling amendments wrong

Originally Posted by rossmacd
Just keep your mouth shut and fly the originally booked itinerary
Ha this is true! This is the itin we discussed before btw!

I don't plan on alerting a human to anything unless I know it was genuine but I think it isnt as even the same fare basis now is not 0.00 lol
Old May 26, 2017, 6:01 am

Programs: Mucci Des Oeufs Brouilles et des Canards
Slightly different take on the above. What if you booked through a geographical site for a trip, but that site was offering a discount not available at that time on your geographical site? However the website lets you book and even knows your not from that region as it pre-populates your address with your country of origin? (everything else on that site is in the local language). Nothing in the T&Cs for that site restrict it to locals - according to google translate at least! Booking this way saved not an inconsiderable sum of cash.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.