no seats LHR-SFO/SJC in early Jan /sigh

Old Dec 7, 17, 7:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVPG 75K, LH, Marriott Plat, Hertz Pres Circ, National Executive Elite
no seats LHR-SFO/SJC in early Jan /sigh

Must be good to be BA. I can't find availability from LHR to SFO/SFO in J or W for Jan 4/5/6/7. Crazy!
Prompted me to look at EK to go DUB-DXB-SFO, which it won't let me price. See unable to price DUB-DXB-SFO?

#firstworldproblems
Old Dec 7, 17, 7:13 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by MeanwhileBackAtFAI View Post
Must be good to be BA. I can't find availability from LHR to SFO/SFO in J or W for Jan 4/5/6/7. Crazy!
Prompted me to look at EK to go DUB-DXB-SFO, which it won't let me price. See unable to price DUB-DXB-SFO?

#firstworldproblems
I think the reduced 787 availability is partly due to this, though there are only a few services from SJC cancelled so far. More details in the main thread. As for BA's popularity, current loadings are a bit of a mystery compared to the 13/30/40 obviously better rated airlines available to passengers. I'm also having a few troubles getting a seat to some short and longhaul services, I've now got myself waitlisted on 5 separate trips, when even 2 would be unusual. I've been told that for one of them I'm unlikely to make the grade too, and that doesn't happen often.
Old Dec 7, 17, 7:24 am

DUB-IST-BKK-AKL-SFO prices out just fine, on TK/UA

Or try DUB-AMS-HEL-HKG-NAN-AKL-SFO for just a few hundred extra on EI/FI/FJ/QF/UA
Old Dec 7, 17, 7:29 am

Xmas and New Year is always a busy time for flights - I cannot see what is surprising about this.
Old Dec 7, 17, 7:54 am

Early January is a slack period for business travel. Often a good time for leisure travellers wishing to travel in a premium cabin. I have been able to buy good deals for travel in early January including next year to the US west coast. Albeit LA in my case, not SFO.
Old Dec 7, 17, 7:56 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
LGW-OAK possible on the 2nd, 6th?
Old Dec 7, 17, 8:09 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave View Post
As for BA's popularity, current loadings are a bit of a mystery compared to the 13/30/40 obviously better rated airlines available to passengers. I'm also having a few troubles getting a seat to some short and longhaul services, I've now got myself waitlisted on 5 separate trips, when even 2 would be unusual. I've been told that for one of them I'm unlikely to make the grade too, and that doesn't happen often.
So first take a busy time of year, and then remove a chunk of the fleet due to engine issues.

Hardly a surprise is it? I could probably make Air Zimbabwe look popular if I did that to the supply/demand equation.
Old Dec 7, 17, 8:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVPG 75K, LH, Marriott Plat, Hertz Pres Circ, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by stewardo View Post
DUB-IST-BKK-AKL-SFO prices out just fine, on TK/UA

Or try DUB-AMS-HEL-HKG-NAN-AKL-SFO for just a few hundred extra on EI/FI/FJ/QF/UA
Rather partial to BA since I am with Alaska Airlines Mileage plan where the award mileage earned looks something like this: 100% base + 125% elite bonus + 150% booking class bonus (for J) + 100% additional bonus. So my original itineraty of DUB-LHR-SFO would roll in a whooping total of 55,738 award miles for 11,734 EQMs. That makes the J expense worth it.

Out of curiosity though, you priced DUB-AMS-HEL-HKG-NAN-AKL-SFO via Matrix? Try as I may, I haven't managed to build complex itineraties yet. Could you please share the query string? Thanks in advance.

As to whether it's surprising that there are no seats; I am looking at multiple days, essentially three flights per day, across J and W we are talking hundreds of seats, and none are available a month out. I get that the 787 issue removes a third of the capacity though.

I may just stick to ...... AA connection DUB-PHL-SFO, or DUB-ORD-SFO. Those aren't ideal because the comparatively short TATL doesn't allow for much rest. Again, #firstworldproblems
Old Dec 7, 17, 8:50 am

Programs: SA KL BA EK

#firstworldproblems

Aah, so that's why the 'unusual routing' appeared on the EK forum. ;-)
Old Dec 7, 17, 9:25 am

Programs: UA *G, AA EXP

#firstworldproblems
EF is showing availability in J and W on those dates on LHR-SFO (J on 4 and 5 Jan only and W on 4-7 Jan every day). And ba.com seems to be offering fares too.
Old Dec 7, 17, 9:50 am

Programs: AA EP, BA Silver, UA Gold
Perhaps BA's always-enthusiastic discounting over the cold months combined with the unpredicted 787 airframe drought has caught them short? AA letting all their pilots have the last two week of the year off (now being resolved, but not entirely fixed) may not have helped availability over the whole of the TATL JBV either.

For SFO, you can always go via LAX; frequent connecting AA service, very fine lounges in LAX while you wait, BA A380 from LAX if you want either side bins or the best F seat (depending on class).
Old Dec 7, 17, 11:47 am

Programs: All the usual suspects
For SFO, you can always go via LAX; frequent connecting AA service, very fine lounges in LAX while you wait, BA A380 from LAX if you want either side bins or the best F seat (depending on class).[/QUOTE]

This is a good tip, which I have done several times and reward availability seems to be better to LAX. I try and avoid OAK because of the LGW/777 combination.

I'm also partial to use Southwest to connect as they have so many flights up to the Bay Area, coupled with the ability to change a ticket at no cost up to 10 minutes before a flight and a free bag. They do exactly what it says on the tin, usually with a smile and decent humour.

Search this Thread