Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Choosing to depart from T3 rather than T5 for the excellent lounges.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7, 2017, 6:34 am

Programs: BA Gold
The lounges are certainly one more compelling reason to choose AA when heading West
rossmacd likes this.
Old Dec 7, 2017, 6:46 am

Programs: BA Silver
I have conveniently booked most of my short and long haul travel from T3 until my year as a Oneworld Emerald expires (I have no hope of retaining it)
rossmacd and florens like this.
Old Dec 7, 2017, 7:04 am

Programs: BAEC Blue
Originally Posted by subject2load
@offtothehills - your thread (well-intentioned though it is) is not exactly helping my personal quest to encourage as many people as possible to restrict themselves to the BA lounge at T3, thus protecting the CX and QF facilities from overcrowding
If my experience in early November is anything to go by, your quest has been a glorious success, subject2load. And I salute you. CX J was practically empty between 12pm and 2pm. Probably the most enjoyable lounge visit I've had in any airport to date.
rossmacd and subject2load like this.
Old Dec 7, 2017, 7:11 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by frank_poulankh
....................And I salute you. CX J was practically empty between 12pm and 2pm. Probably the most enjoyable lounge visit I've had in any airport to date.
Glad to have been of service.

(but please don’t tell anyone )
frank_poulankh likes this.
Old Dec 7, 2017, 7:19 am

Programs: BAEC Blue
Glad to have been of service.

(but please don’t tell anyone )
It'll be our secret
Old Dec 7, 2017, 8:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Elite Amb, HH Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Platinum
Just to be clear, contrary to what has been suggested in this thread, there is no QF First lounge.
LTN Phobia and rossmacd like this.
Old Dec 7, 2017, 8:44 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Originally Posted by offtothehills
I am inclined think that I would. We are leaving from there in 2018 on BA F to YVR, I'm so glad it's not T5 as it would seem from reviews that in T3 the new QF lounge is great, as is the CX lounge, plus it has an F area to relax and dine in.

It's sad in a way that as LHR is BA's home base and it's Flagship lounges are, in many ways, inferior to these OW lounges in T3 Yes, CCR has it's advantages and it's "charm"! (we'll use it on our return). Of course, it's not possible to choose in most cases, however, given that we could choose on that occasion, I'm just interested to know if many others would do the same.
Personally as a connecting passenger I really don't like the T5 to T3 schelp and I think T5 is a much better terminal overall, light and airy and not a myriad of corridors as is parts of T3. T5 is really easy when connecting from the regions and even if not the First Wing is excellent. I certainly wouldn't choose a flight based on what a lounge experience would be although I agree the CX lounge is very nice I agree and I've still to try the new QF lounge. YMMV as always though and horses for courses.
Filthy Monkey and SoggyDollar like this.
Old Dec 7, 2017, 9:05 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
T5 is indeed nearly 3 times larger than T3. There's a sign in LHR that says that T5B alone is bigger than Stansted, which I find hard to believe. However the walk distances are far greater in T3, 400 metres is typical in T3 and T5 shouldn't go much above 200m, I don't think it's quicker to get around compared to T5. And T3 is a lot more congested than T5, 18 million passengers a year compared to 32 million for T5, given there is only a third of the space.
I am very sceptical about that claim on the basis of building footprint, or of total footprint including terminal building, associated gates, and stands. Stansted is probably about 1.5 times bigger footprint than LHR T5B. Much smaller than all of T5 on the same basis, of course.

Much more crowded, too, thanks to M.A.G.'s ancillary revenue ways, and walking distances in Stansted are made much greater by the winding paths through the shops and the crowds meaning one has to dodge sideways a lot to make decent speed towards one's destination.
Old Dec 7, 2017, 9:32 am

Programs: Hilton HHonors, BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by stevie
It is a shame the CCR is maybe now 3rd best lounge in the OW network at LHR. Add to the fact that emeralds can frequent the QF and CX F lounges, and it makes it all the worse. Typical of BA today though.
Although I can't really comment on whether the CCR is better or worse than other lounges from a users point of view, I do wonder why the fact the CCR is not a Oneworld lounge would make it worse than CX/QF on that basis?

It was opened as a BA lounge for BA customers travelling in First class (plus a select few when CCR card was introduced in the mainstream), and not for OWE customers travelling in lower cabins to use. I know others who actually use the service may have different thoughts surrounding this, but I for one think BA restricting it's First product for usage by those travelling BA First makes sound common sense. Whilst the other lounges available may or may not be better than the CCR, I do not see the fact that they are open to all OWE cardholders a comparable plus point.
Old Dec 7, 2017, 9:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: EK,BA,QR
@offtothehills - your thread (well-intentioned though it is) is not exactly helping my personal quest to encourage as many people as possible to restrict themselves to the BA lounge at T3, thus protecting the CX and QF facilities from overcrowding

More seriously, I see that Rob at headforpoints is also smitten by the new OW lounges, and his site currently features a piece about those BA destinations which provide an opportunity to try them by departing from T3.

Worth a read, and a useful addition to the info given in the CWS post already linked upthread.

Which British Airways flights use Heathrow Terminal 3?
Haha, yes, it is a pest when "your" airline's lounge is filling up with freeloaders from BA etc... I would imagine though, that the same favour (although not really a favour, and not really freeloaders) would be returned at some point - when I travel via SYD or MEL with EK, I always use QF's F lounges - as I'm sure many on FT do, and it's great when it works out that we do have a good choice. I do agree with your quest though and hope that these lovely lounges stay quiet(ish).
Interesting re HFP's blog on BA flights leaving from T3, thanks, must have a look at it.
Old Dec 7, 2017, 9:53 am

Programs: BA GGL, TK E (*G), ITA exec
Originally Posted by PETER01
Personally as a connecting passenger I really don't like the T5 to T3 schelp and I think T5 is a much better terminal overall, light and airy and not a myriad of corridors as is parts of T3. T5 is really easy when connecting from the regions and even if not the First Wing is excellent. I certainly wouldn't choose a flight based on what a lounge experience would be although I agree the CX lounge is very nice I agree and I've still to try the new QF lounge. YMMV as always though and horses for courses.
I don't love the bus transfer between terminals too, but for my taste T3 is not a worse place than T5. The only thing I don't like there is how long you have to walk to/from gates, but for the rest I think is ok. Probably transiting for leisure is different that doing it frequently for work
Old Dec 7, 2017, 9:56 am

Programs: BA Gold; Hilton Honors Diamond
For some of us, T3 is inevitable as flights to / from Las Vegas, Phoenix etc. leave from there and so there's no choice in the matter if we want to fly direct. As PETER01 states the main downside is the bus transfer to / from T5 when transferring to domestic flights. In terms of the slightly tongue in check comment about freeloaders all I would say to that is that the door swings both ways and there's absolutely nothing stopping eligible passengers from other carriers visiting the BA lounges in preference to their own. What is probably more pertinent is that a large percentage of those passengers aren't aware of the ability to visit other lounges. One of my colleagues who is based in Hong Kong and who mainly flies with CX had no idea that he was able to visit the Qantas or BA lounges in SIN (to take the most recent example of a trip we were on together) and was pleasantly surprised at the choice that was suddenly available to him!
Old Dec 7, 2017, 10:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: EK,BA,QR
Originally Posted by TyneTraveller
Although I can't really comment on whether the CCR is better or worse than other lounges from a users point of view, I do wonder why the fact the CCR is not a Oneworld lounge would make it worse than CX/QF on that basis?

It was opened as a BA lounge for BA customers travelling in First class (plus a select few when CCR card was introduced in the mainstream), and not for OWE customers travelling in lower cabins to use. I know others who actually use the service may have different thoughts surrounding this, but I for one think BA restricting it's First product for usage by those travelling BA First makes sound common sense. Whilst the other lounges available may or may not be better than the CCR, I do not see the fact that they are open to all OWE cardholders a comparable plus point.
I agree with you that CCR is much more restrictive than the other lounges, and that is a big positive, however, it's not really enough for me. It's the food, the decor and the ambience in these T3 lounges - compared to GF and CCR. I mean, look at the cabanas - I never want to use them as they are so dowdy - a couch/bed with a loo right behind? Faded and worn soft furnishings in them. I do think that BA have tried to enhance CCR but it doesn't come near to T3's lounges. As I said, CCR does have a fairly good ambience and "charm", I just enjoy brighter, edgier lounges with such well designed spaces, plus the excellent food options. I agree that the fact they are open to many more eligible pax than CCR may be seen as a disadvantage, however, to me, in practice it's not that noticeable.
Blueboys999 and rossmacd like this.
Old Dec 7, 2017, 10:05 am

Programs: Meh
Originally Posted by TyneTraveller

Not sure what point you are making, but I think given the very restrictive admittance, and the amount of money that needs to be spent to gain admittance, I believe the CCR should be head and shoulders the best lounge at LHR, and one of the premium lounges in the world. It is very far from both, and given CX is superior at BA's hub, it is all the more of a failing.
rossmacd likes this.
Old Dec 7, 2017, 10:05 am

Programs: BA, SQ
While the new lounges are fab, I personally wouldn't go out of the way.
Having my office and hence free parking close to T5. A short 423 bus ride away T5 always wins with me for convenience. The lounges don't make up for the hassle taking a bus to the central bus station and walk.
That said long haul for me is now not BA unless using miles so again T3 is for airline in-flight product and not lounge. T3 lounges are the cherry on top of the cream cake.
Short haul T5 really works for me, but over Xmas I'm defecting to LH T2 but already dreading getting the ski equipment over to there...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.