NYE party on a plane??

Old Dec 8, 2017, 5:57 am

Programs: IHG Gold
I'll be on BA56 (JNB-LHR) on NYE this year, my first time flying NYE so I'll see what, if anything, happens!

signol
Old Dec 8, 2017, 6:00 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Tiffywren
Absolutely! I flew back from HKG on NYE last year and celebrated at least five times... actually I lost track of the time zones in the end but I enjoyed myself
After five times I'm not surprised you lost track of the time zones
Old Dec 8, 2017, 6:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Gold
Thanks for all the feedback, I think we'll just plan on making our own fun, but I'll report back if anything interesting happens.

I hope others report back too if they get an interesting 'special' change of service.
Old Dec 8, 2017, 2:37 pm
Suspended

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by nick.t.davies
Thanks for all the feedback, I think we'll just plan on making our own fun, but I'll report back if anything interesting happens.
I hope others report back too if they get an interesting 'special' change of service.
I've had an 'old-school' captain sit and work out the calculation for exactly when he'd be crossing midnight local time and send a message back to crews to share with any passengers who wanted to know. Or BA flights always work to UK time so there's a fixed midnight there if you want that. (Or both!)

But I'd say if you want there to be a 'celebration', ask for it. Crews love making people feel special and the worst that can happen is they say 'sorry, we're too busy'.
Old Dec 9, 2017, 1:03 am
bpe

Programs: AS, UA
Last new year I was on a BKK-HND redeye (TG) and the captain made a brief announcement a few minutes before and right after we passed midnight local time. The FAs came around with small cups of sparkling wine in Y, although about half the passengers were asleep. Nothing too exciting but a nice touch.

I'm curious now if they celebrate when you 'lose' the new year by crossing the date like westbound on NYE. I guess you would/could celebrate as you cross it but it could well be in the middle of the day at that time...
Old Dec 9, 2017, 4:55 am

Programs: BAEC, Flying Blue, Eurostar, Miles&Smiles
Originally Posted by Temps
Should be leaving Addis Ababa at 23:59 EAT on the 31st, wondering how the Ethiopians celebrate NYE. Seems like it'll be wheels up instead of knees up, but we shall raise a glass at UK time if we're still awake.

And maybe CAT, CET...
Depends on who the crew is, but Ethiopia uses a different calendar and for most New Year is in September. So depending on how international the crew and passengers are, maybe nothing.
Old Dec 9, 2017, 10:14 am

Programs: BA Silver, HH Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by maastrichtmouse
Depends on who the crew is, but Ethiopia uses a different calendar and for most New Year is in September. So depending on how international the crew and passengers are, maybe nothing.
Ah well, we can celebrate by ourselves if need be
Old Dec 9, 2017, 6:58 pm

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, HH Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador
Relatively new to the forum, and first time posting. I will be on BA 84 (YVR-LHR) on NYE. Unfortunately, it was a rather late Avios booking but was grateful to get one of the extra V class economy seats. Hopefully there will be some celebration onboard, but I'll certainly enjoy a drink in the lounge beforehand
Old Dec 9, 2017, 7:40 pm

Programs: BA GGL for a little while longer
Following AA rescheduling shenanigans, we will now be in the air on Dec 31st at both 00:00 GMT and 00:00 EST ... but more likely to be asleep than doible-dipping the bubbly
Old Jan 3, 2018, 5:56 am

Programs: IHG Gold
Originally Posted by signol
I'll be on BA56 (JNB-LHR) on NYE this year, my first time flying NYE so I'll see what, if anything, happens!

signol
So, besides the crew wishing everyone "Happy New Year" on boarding and every announcement, literally nothing different happened. To be expected really. One passenger went to the galley to complain about the lack of champagne, to be told "sorry, none on board". With some effing and blinding, she went back to her seat to await the standard bar service...

signol
Old Jan 3, 2018, 5:59 am

Programs: BA Exec Club Bronze, Hilton Diamond, Virgin Flying Club Red
BA2166 (Tampa to Gatwick) had a simple "Happy New Year in London" announcement from the flight deck as it passed 7pm EST during boarding, other than that literally nothing of any note happened.
Old Jan 3, 2018, 6:17 am

Programs: BA Gold
I was on a BA TATL flight on NYE and the crew brought around Champagne in CW after the dinner service at midnight for our departure city
Old Jan 3, 2018, 6:39 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Avis Preferred Plus, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
I was on the 5pm flight from Chicago. Firstly, the flight was empty in J. 18 people in J and it was a high-j 747. We were 4 of only 10 people in the middle and rear J cabins. Needless to say, service was excellent!

The crew brought champagne round the whole plane (econo included from what I could tell) for UK midnight, which was only 45 minutes into the flight. They then came round shortly after midnight to shake everyone's hands. Generally the crew were all happy and full of new years greetings.

Slightly OT, but it was one of the quickest takeoffs I've ever experienced on a 747, presumably because of the light load. I didn't time it, but it seemed like no more than 20 seconds from thrust up to wheels off the tarmac. This was after a very brief taxi from the gate. Superb!
Old Jan 3, 2018, 7:54 am

Programs: BA Gold
Very quiet NYE LHR-ARN flight with just Mrs CKBA and myself in CE on a 767. Crew very attentive - and of course had to finish that bottle of champagne to avoid wastage.

Following day ARN-LHR flight was busier, so finished off the bottle with ease, and had another (full) one positioned between us in an improvised ice bucket... . :-))
Old Jan 3, 2018, 8:20 am

Programs: GGL/CCR
AA100 to LHR....nothing except a happy new year from the pilot before landing. I did enjoy the champagne from F though

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.