Wiki Posts
Search

London -> PPT

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6, 2017, 6:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC
London -> PPT

This is just a speculative question at the moment, but I'm looking for a future year to travel to Tahiti. Not worried about a TP run, but would like to get TP/Avios as best as possible.

AA codeshare on Ait Tahiti Nui, and so an example flight could be

02 MAR LHR -> LAX BA283
03 MAR LAX -> PPT AA7177

Now this is a FAQ question I'm sure, but how do I book the second flight on ba.com, if I use multi city it says no flights available, but matrix gave it as an option? Is it because its an AA codeshare that it doesn't work?

Finally, is this actually the best route?
Old Dec 6, 2017, 6:25 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by uklinus
AA codeshare on Ait Tahiti Nui, and so an example flight could be
And therein lies the problem: redemptions are almost always made in prime flight code numbers, so it would require that airline to either be oneworld or a BA partner airline. Just because AA (or even BA) has a codeshare, won't necessarily open up the flight to redemptions. Probably a case for SkyTeam, overall.
Old Dec 6, 2017, 6:30 am
Original Poster

Sorry if I wasn't clear, I want to pay for revenue flight but earn Avios/TP, not looking for redemption flight.
Old Dec 6, 2017, 6:32 am

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by uklinus
Sorry if I wasn't clear, I want to pay for revenue flight but earn Avios/TP, not looking for redemption flight.
In that case, as it is not on AA (or OneWorld) metal you would need a BA codeshare - and while AA codeshare on that route, BA don't. Unfortunately, you've now found the limit of where OneWorld ends.
Old Dec 6, 2017, 6:37 am

Do LATAM still do a flight from Easter Island? If so, that'd be my preferred routing ... LHR-SCL-IPC (stop for a few days)- PPT . TP all the way too
Old Dec 6, 2017, 6:43 am
Original Poster

Ok, with the above comment in mind, if I was thinking of doing LHR -> SCL -> IPC -> PPT -> SYD -> LHR should I be looking at RTW fares as well?
Old Dec 6, 2017, 7:02 am

Programs: BA Silver
To go from PPT to SYD on Oneworld, you'd have to backtrack to SCL
Old Dec 6, 2017, 7:02 am

Originally Posted by Cymro
In that case, as it is not on AA (or OneWorld) metal you would need a BA codeshare - and while AA codeshare on that route, BA don't. Unfortunately, you've now found the limit of where OneWorld ends.
To elaborate, the fact that BA doesn't codeshare on the route isn't the problem in terms of booking it via BA. The question there is: do BA file (reasonably priced) fares either through from LON to PPT, or LON-LAX BA fares combinable with LAX-PPT AA or TN fares. If so, then BA would in fact be able to sell you the ticket - you just wouldn't earn avios/TPs on the LAX-PPT leg.

In other words, codeshare is only necessary for avios/TP purposes, not actually for ticketing purposes.
Old Dec 6, 2017, 7:27 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, LH, EK, QR
I'm planning on trying to book a trip to PPT (and on to Bora Bora) for a honeymoon trip in 2019.

The route via SCL/IPC is one option, though the IPC-PPT flight is only once a week on a Monday.

The other option I was looking at was the Standard EU->USA East Coast -> USA West Cost -> Honolulu TP run, then taking the weekly Hawaiian airlines flight from HNL->PPT, which If I recall is on a Saturday.
Old Dec 6, 2017, 8:15 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Firipu
To go from PPT to SYD on Oneworld, you'd have to backtrack to SCL
But you can book direct flight LAX-PPT on Air Tahiti Nui under QF code and you will get both Avios and (if I recall correctly) also TPs for that. QF 3816. Same with a number of other airlines in the region - FJ to NAN, Air Niugini etc. as long as booked under QF code.
Old Dec 6, 2017, 11:14 am
Original Poster

And can book Quantas PPT->SYD, QF3816 follows by QF146.

I just can't seem to get BA's website to book me a BA flight followed by an AA flight on the same ticket. Comments above suggest BA can do it, would I have to phone?
Old Dec 6, 2017, 11:22 am

Programs: BA GGL, TK*G EL, KL P ELPL, ex AB P, ex LH/LX Sen, HHonors D4L, Bonvoy P
If you want to book it on one ticket - which I'd recommend - you have to find an airline which publishes a fare LON-PPT. There are several options, however, neither AA nor BA is amongst them.

As far as Oneworld carriers are concerned, there is LA, QF and QR. QF is routing via SYD or MEL; QR via DOH/AKL, using NZ for the AKL-PPT leg. LA is either going through SCL-IPC, or - rather surprisingly - also via AKL using TN for the AKL-PPT leg. This offers some flexibility, as compared to the once a week flight via IPC.

Obviously, there are options with other alliances, such as AF/KL (via LAX) or NZ (via AKL) or EK (via DXB/AKL using TN on the last leg).
Old Dec 6, 2017, 11:32 am

Did this earlier this year when we went to Bora Bora. If you want to get Tier Points and Avios then you need to book Qantas codeshare from LAX to PPT on Air Tahiti Nui. We then booked a separate LHR - LAX return on BA.
the Air Tahiti Nui flight is on A340 with just Business and Economy. Business is like the old BA Club World cradle seats and is not great for the 8,5 hour flight which is overnight both ways. The Business class section contains 34 seats with one toilet. If you are BA Gold then you can use the Qantas First Class Lounge at LAX before the flight to PPT which departs LAX at around midnight.
PPT Airport is a bit of a dive and you arrive there early in the morning when not a lot is open - not that there is much in any case to open.
Air Tahiti Nui have a number of A340 - 4 AIRC. Three of them have been refurbished - one has not (Bora Bora) and the Business seats in this are even worse so try and avoid this plane if possible.
The route via Hawaiian from HNL is another option we looked at but the timings on this mean you need to spend a night in PPT which did not appeal.
We looked at all the other routes other posters have mentioned above the route via SCL also has disadvantages as do the routes via AKL. We considered the LHR - LAX - PPT the best option.

Last edited by scillyisles; Dec 6, 2017 at 11:44 am
Old Dec 6, 2017, 11:52 am

You could buy a BA/AA fare to HNL - excellent potential for TP earning - and then there is a Hawaiian nonstop from HNL-PPT you could buy separately.

No avios/TP on HA but they do credit to AA.

Edit: just realised this has already been suggested twice above.
Old Dec 6, 2017, 2:00 pm

Originally Posted by swiss_global
If you want to book it on one ticket - which I'd recommend - you have to find an airline which publishes a fare LON-PPT. There are several options, however, neither AA nor BA is amongst them.

As far as Oneworld carriers are concerned, there is LA, QF and QR. QF is routing via SYD or MEL; QR via DOH/AKL, using NZ for the AKL-PPT leg. LA is either going through SCL-IPC, or - rather surprisingly - also via AKL using TN for the AKL-PPT leg. This offers some flexibility, as compared to the once a week flight via IPC.

Obviously, there are options with other alliances, such as AF/KL (via LAX) or NZ (via AKL) or EK (via DXB/AKL using TN on the last leg).
AA publish a fare LHR-LAX-PPT bookable on aa.co.uk and avios and tier point earning.It seems to be rather expensive in business class.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.