BA292 IAD-LHR Thu 04 Jan Cancelled

Old Dec 5, 17, 3:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver
BA292 IAD-LHR Thu 04 Jan Cancelled

A first for me, I've just received a text telling me that the BA292 (the late flight) on the 4th January has been cancelled.
Anybody know why? Seems an awfully long way out to be cancelling a flight which was apparently fairly busy when I originally booked.
I don't appear to have been automatically rebooked onto anything at the moment.
I've tried to do the rebooking online thing but am just getting an error - am I jumping the gun on this? Do I need to give them a day or two to sort this out or should I resign myself to spending a bit of time on the phone rebooking?
Is anybody able to advise which of the flights from IAD to LHR on the 5th/6th has space and (if possible) an available aisle seat for selection in WT+?
Thank you kindly.
Old Dec 5, 17, 3:56 am
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

I would get on the phone to BA and put forward your requirements, as you can bet that availability on the preferred routings will quickly reduce. Be prepared with what you want before calling BA.
Old Dec 5, 17, 4:20 am

Programs: BA GGL+CCR, Hertz PC, Hilton Diamond
BA216 is zeroed out in WTP and WT; BA228 from Baltimore is W5. The issue with 216 may be to accommodate auto rebookings, as there is availability in I class and above. If the 1750 departure is acceptable to you, I would still ask for BA216 but appreciate that there may be no room if you have not been rebooked to it already. I would expect that flight to go out full as a reslt, and therefore to be quite good for upgrades.

If you're willing to accept a change and a DCA departure, BA5158 (operated by AA) departs at 7.30 p.m., connecting in JFK to the 11.15 p.m. departure BA182.

There's plenty of availability on the following two days, however, with outer pair seats on all flights.

To mirror your original arrival time you'd probably be looking at BA4824 via ORD at 5.35 p.m., connecting to BA296.

Last edited by Cymro; Dec 5, 17 at 4:41 am
Old Dec 5, 17, 4:29 am

We seem to be getting a lot of these queries — there was a thread yesterday about a JFK flight being cancelled next week, and the DOH route is being cancelled for days on end. Any theories as to the underlying causes (if any?).
Old Dec 5, 17, 4:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by cynicalmoose View Post
We seem to be getting a lot of these queries there was a thread yesterday about a JFK flight being cancelled next week, and the DOH route is being cancelled for days on end. Any theories as to the underlying causes (if any?).
At least some of them could be related to what was discussed here: Atlanta from 789 to 777 change?
Old Dec 5, 17, 4:55 am

Programs: BA Exec Club Silver, Hilton Diamond, Virgin Flying Club Red
Originally Posted by cynicalmoose View Post
We seem to be getting a lot of these queries there was a thread yesterday about a JFK flight being cancelled next week, and the DOH route is being cancelled for days on end. Any theories as to the underlying causes (if any?).
Airlines routinely cancel flights which operate with multiple daily frequencies during quiet periods, consolidating customers on to another service that day. I can imagine that a midweek departure in the first week of January is pretty much as quiet as it gets, with hardly any business travel and most seasonal leisure travel completed.

The DOH cancellation is 99% likely due to lack of 787 availability because of the RR engine issues, and the ease of rebooking customers on to QR.
Old Dec 5, 17, 5:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by clarkeysntfc View Post
Airlines routinely cancel flights which operate with multiple daily frequencies during quiet periods, consolidating customers on to another service that day. I can imagine that a midweek departure in the first week of January is pretty much as quiet as it gets, with hardly any business travel and most seasonal leisure travel completed.

The DOH cancellation is 99% likely due to lack of 787 availability because of the RR engine issues, and the ease of rebooking customers on to QR.
In the case of this query, I'm sure it won't have escaped anyone's notice that the BA293/BA292 rotation is scheduled for 789s.
Cymro and cynicalmoose like this.
Old Dec 5, 17, 6:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver
Well, after a couple of calls it is all sorted. I've been moved to the BA292 on the 5th January instead.

The old customer service could do with a bit of a brush up though.
First time I called I simply gave up, as I couldn't seem to get past the "I hope you are the ticketed passenger, are you?" question, despite answering it several times. Hung up in the end as life is too short.
Second call sorted it easily and came in at 2 mins shorter than the first call which accomplished nothing - go figure :-)

Thanks for all the advice.
Old Dec 5, 17, 7:47 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
BA, just like many carriers, is cancelling frequencies on routes with space available over the holidays. Sometimes even on routes with few frequencies,

It is always best to call immediately because options disappear quickly as people not satisfied with the proffered rebooking call in.

BA's systems, do not handle online rebooking particularly well. A good comparison is to DL which would display a good number of options online and only require a phone call in the event that the passenger needs something other than the immediately obvious. That, in turn, takes the pressure off the phone agents and leaves them to handle the more difficult matters.

I suppose that there is some minor value in asking whether the caller is the passenger, but I'm not certain that someone with the goal of doing something nasty or fraudulent would ever be so stupid as to answer in the negative.

Glad this one worked out.
Old Dec 5, 17, 8:23 am

My return light from LHR to SJC just got cancelled on January 3rd. I switched it to LHR - SFO. Was going to park my car at SJC, now I'll have to figure out alternate transportation now since I live in a small town further north and can't rely on Uber. The agent was willing to change the outbound to SFO too but my Mum is travelling with us on an AA reward ticket and that can't be changed
Old Dec 5, 17, 10:17 am

Nothing to do with multiple frequencies, everything to do with the 787 engines.

No-one at BA is making fun of Virgin anymore.
Old Dec 5, 17, 10:22 am
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Originally Posted by 710 77345 View Post
No-one at BA is making fun of Virgin anymore.
Quite. Maybe some on here would eat their hats?

Old Dec 5, 17, 10:37 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by rossmacd View Post
Quite. Maybe some on here would eat their hats?

I wonder who you could be referring to?

Last edited by DYKWIA; Dec 5, 17 at 11:34 am