Wiki Posts
Search

Chance of POUGs on Weekday BRU Flights

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5, 2017, 3:12 am
Original Poster

Chance of POUGs on Weekday BRU Flights

Hi all,

Due to a new contract my main destination is going to be Brussels from January. My company understably won't pay for CE on an hour long flight (they also won't pay for Gin), so in order to maintain any status I'm going to have to rely on POUGs in order collect any worthwhile TPs from these flights. Are their any regulars on this route who can advise the likelyhood of being offered POUG's on a Monday morning and Wednesday evening? Or maybe its time to give up and start taking Eurostar instead...

Thanks!
Old Dec 5, 2017, 3:17 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
If you are booking LHR-BRU point to point via BA.com then I'd reckon something like 70% of flights will have a POUG offer. If it's done via a corporate travel agency system direct to GDS then it will only come up at OLCI stage and the percentage will be lower. If you are claiming this, then the most cost effective way for both you and your company is to nest tickets - so buying BRU-LHR (Wed), LHR-BRU (Mon)- to apparently show you are spending Saturday night away. This is a legit process with BA.
Old Dec 5, 2017, 3:18 am

If you already have silver then you could potentially maintain it by virtue of 25 return flights rather than TPs

Gold you'll need to upgrade, but it's going to be an expensive way to maintain it if you arent mixing in a few J longhauls- so you'd have to personally consider the value

depending on where you live I would give the Eurostar some consideration - from personal experience with a Paris commute for a while it was far prefereable in the end- those flights can carry regular annoying delays that the trains just didn't have and you can cut your arrival at the station a lot finer than the airport
Old Dec 5, 2017, 3:22 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Just to check, is your work travel booked through a TA? If so the likelihood of being offered a POUG on a TA booking is virtually nil sadly.
Old Dec 5, 2017, 3:26 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by KARFA
Just to check, is your work travel booked through a TA? If so the likelihood of being offered a POUG on a TA booking is virtually nil sadly.
If it's a UK based TA (CWT, Amex, some Egencia accounts, billed in sterling) then POUG comes up at OLCI from time to time, and also for the return trips before OLCI if under 36 hours away.
Old Dec 5, 2017, 3:47 am
Original Poster

Thanks for your help as always. Our office assistant books the flights on BA.com, so it's just a normal booking and it sounds likely that there will be some POUGs to be had then. Having never been to BRU before, I presume it's a very business heavy route on weekdays, so thought they might not need to offer them. The Nesting point is a good one an I'll look into this. Don't think I'll be quite at 25 returns, its probably going to be once every three weeks or so. It does look like I'll have to consider some longhaul leasure travel for next year or start paying more attention to the TP run threads!
Old Dec 5, 2017, 3:52 am

Originally Posted by Joshm300
Our office assistant books the flights on BA.com, so it's just a normal booking and it sounds likely that there will be some POUGs to be had then.
In which case it would be helpful to have handy the corporate credit card number used in the booking, to assist App POUGs. It isn't used for payment purposes, it's just another security layer. If you do it via BA.com you may not need that credit card number, alternatively do an Avios search on the App (and thus trigger a full BA.com login) and then immediately process the POUG.
Old Dec 5, 2017, 4:46 am

Doing a lot of POUGs seems like an expensive way to maintain status. I think I'd rather save the money and buy a couple of nice weekends away to do TP runs when good deals come up.
Joshm300 likes this.
Old Dec 5, 2017, 9:08 am

Programs: BA Bronze, Hilton Gold, IHG Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by windowontheAside
Doing a lot of POUGs seems like an expensive way to maintain status. I think I'd rather save the money and buy a couple of nice weekends away to do TP runs when good deals come up.
Lol ... FlyerTalk's advertising is spot on for this thread.
dcmike likes this.
Old Dec 5, 2017, 9:14 am

Programs: BA Gold; LH FTL; IHG Diamond; Marriott Gold; ALL Gold
Originally Posted by Joshm300
Or maybe its time to give up and start taking Eurostar instead...
What class would your employer mandate for Eurostar travel? Mine forces Economy for flights up to 8 hours (and beyond that it's only PE), but inexplicably pays for Business Premier on the Eurostar. In my experience, travelling in Standard Premier on the Eurostar beats flying LHR-BRU in ET by a long way, so the train might actually be a better option for you...
Old Dec 5, 2017, 9:20 am

Programs: BA Gold, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by Deltus
What class would your employer mandate for Eurostar travel? Mine forces Economy for flights up to 8 hours (and beyond that it's only PE), but inexplicably pays for Business Premier on the Eurostar. In my experience, travelling in Standard Premier on the Eurostar beats flying LHR-BRU in ET by a long way, so the train might actually be a better option for you...
Similar to mine, except under 4 hours is Economy only, but Paris is Business Premier every time.
Old Dec 5, 2017, 9:29 am

Programs: Hilton HHonors, BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by windowontheAside
I imagine the cost to be more than a couple of TP runs but nothing too horrific, especially if only a few are needed. I think it would be boarderline in the case of the OP doing the return trip say 20 per year on average. POUG's needed if 50 sectors are not met and qualification is t be via the TP route would be circa 11/12 or 650-850GBP.

In conclusion I very much agree with the above advice. For that sort of money I know what I would do, and it wouldn't be the boring option
Old Dec 5, 2017, 10:16 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
If you choose flights where the business-traveller loading is low and connecting traffic is less likely, you may well get a POUG at OLCI (don't dawdle). All my business travel bookings are impeded by a corporate TA and I do get POUG offers as long as it's at some unbusiness-like time. Mid-afternoon on a Monday from LCY is quite likely, for example. Early morning from LCY less likely.

(I don't fly to BRU much, so that's generalised from other routes).
Old Dec 5, 2017, 10:31 am

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Diamond, Marriot Gold, Radisson Gold, Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by bhbloke
Similar to mine, except under 4 hours is Economy only, but Paris is Business Premier every time.
If its Business Premier (the fully flexible, can use the business checkin lines), then you get the lounge as well on both ends. Standard Premier is quite good, but no lounge, it's same seats but think BP food is better.

When I travelled the route, it didn't take me long on Standard Premier (when it was called Leisure Select) to get the card for the lounges/quick security, but after they changed the name to SP it got harder. I believe they've changed it again so it might be easier to obtain again.

Lounge is about a priority pass level of lounges, took me a long time to realise there was a quieter one upstairs at London. Downstairs gets packed...
Old Dec 5, 2017, 11:15 am

Programs: BA Gold; Hilton Honors Diamond
I would also be an advocate of Eurostar for London - Brussels travel but, naturally, it does depend on where in London and Brussels that you're travelling to and from. Certainly if you can get Carte Blanche status with them then Fast Track will be available and you would also get lounge access. When I lived in Brussels and needed to visit our office in London then Eurostar was the only sensible option. Similarly Thalys for Düsseldorf and Paris, and ICE for Frankfurt.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.