No seatbelts for infants! [Comair]

Old Dec 4, 2017, 5:34 pm

Programs: BA Gold / Hilton Diamond / IHG Diamond Ambassador / Marriot Bonvoy Gold
About 15 years ago I flew Air Berlin out of Stanstrd and was shocked and alarmed that my infant did not get a lap belt. The crew explained they did not offer them. Till then having only ever see lap belts this was really strange. Never flew AB again!
Old Dec 4, 2017, 6:48 pm

Originally Posted by Lefly
I saw it on UA, and was very surprised too.

I wonder which method is actually the best one, in practice.
The best method in practice is for the child to have their own seat. Its not exactly Rocket science. Are there any countries that REQUIRE each pax to have a seat? In my opinion THEY would be the ones who were "right".
diburning and manda99 like this.
Old Dec 5, 2017, 9:44 am

Originally Posted by PJSMITH0
Or USA you dont need to wear a helmet
That is incorrect. And as a former EMT, we were taught to leave the helmet on. ( don't know what they currently teach)
Old Dec 5, 2017, 9:55 am

Programs: AA, DL, Avis, Enterprise, National, IHG, HH, SPG/MR
Originally Posted by awayIgo
That is incorrect. And as a former EMT, we were taught to leave the helmet on. ( don't know what they currently teach)
https://www.lfda.org/issues/motorcycle-helmet-law

As far as what to do on scene for accident... Helmets protect the head, not the (c-)spine. They can also block access to the airway. There isn't a hard and fast rule about whether or not the helmet comes off.
Old Dec 5, 2017, 11:59 am

Totally!

Same experience!
Old Dec 5, 2017, 12:07 pm

Originally Posted by Lefly

I wonder which method is actually the best one, in practice.
Neither.

Baby tossed around like a rag doll or baby squashed between parent and seat.

Take your pick.
Old Dec 5, 2017, 12:10 pm

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
Originally Posted by awayIgo
It seems that it is regulated by states and there are in fact 3 states which have no law on wearing a helmet, including the State of New Hampshire whose motto "Live Free or Die" might be more accurate if changed to "Live free and die".

http://www.iihs.org/iihs/topics/laws...orcyclehelmets
Old Dec 5, 2017, 12:59 pm

Programs: BA GGL, TK E (*G), ITA exec
Originally Posted by CBear
Neither.

Baby tossed around like a rag doll or baby squashed between parent and seat.

Take your pick.
I know personal seats and car seats are more effective (when allowed by airlines), but no EU or US state had declared mandatory to book a seat and use specific harness for babies and toddlers, like they did for cars.
Instead EU and US airlines use a completely opposite method, with one saying the other is wrong. Hence my "question".

P.S.
Many years ago, in Italy, I volunteered on ambulances (paramedics didn't exist there and then) and during training I was taught to remove full helmets.

Last edited by Lefly; Dec 5, 2017 at 1:06 pm Reason: ETA
Old Dec 5, 2017, 1:25 pm

It seems clear that the safest option is to have an infant secured in an airline approved car seat in their own seat so why do BA make this impossible?

A number of UK car seats (including the very popular Maxi Cosi Pebble) are approved for aircraft use and designed to be able to be secured with the lap belt. However, they are designed to be fitted rear facing (the same way they are used in the car) but BA only permits forward facing seats to be used on its flights. Given new EU car seat regulations require children to rear face until at least 15 months (and recommend it for as long as possible), BAs position practically makes it near impossible to use a car seat for most infants. BA also apparently require than any seat has a 5 point harness - another requirement that doesnt match car seat requirements as most use a 3 point design.

Have any of the posters that recommend the separate seat option for under twos managed this successfully on BA with a modern car seat?
Old Dec 5, 2017, 1:52 pm

Originally Posted by EfficientTraveller
It seems clear that the safest option is to have an infant secured in an airline approved car seat in their own seat so why do BA make this impossible?

A number of UK car seats (including the very popular Maxi Cosi Pebble) are approved for aircraft use and designed to be able to be secured with the lap belt. However, they are designed to be fitted rear facing (the same way they are used in the car) but BA only permits forward facing seats to be used on its flights. Given new EU car seat regulations require children to rear face until at least 15 months (and recommend it for as long as possible), BAs position practically makes it near impossible to use a car seat for most infants. BA also apparently require than any seat has a 5 point harness - another requirement that doesnt match car seat requirements as most use a 3 point design.

Have any of the posters that recommend the separate seat option for under twos managed this successfully on BA with a modern car seat?
You might see about getting a cheap US convertible car seat. They are all 5 pt with low weight limits for forward facing (which to me is not nearly as big a deal on a plane as in a car) as well as certified for lap belt use only, including dedicated infant seats.
Old Dec 5, 2017, 2:16 pm
Suspended

Programs: Life Miles, Miles and more
Originally Posted by theddo
The assumption with a seat belt extender is that you will crush your child during a severe accident, but the child will not fly through the cabin to injure someone else. Those incidents are rare, but that's the general gist of it.

You have already decided against safety if you fly with a child in your lap, so I'm not really interested in the totally irrelevant opinions you may have on how that is safe.
Huh? Get out the wrong side of bed this morning? You may as well say they've decided against safety if they leave the house. Flying with a child in their lap is probably one of the safest things they can do, and it's reasonable they're more concerned about the far higher​higher probability event. That's basic risk analysis.
Old Dec 5, 2017, 2:21 pm

Originally Posted by CBear
You might see about getting a cheap US convertible car seat. They are all 5 pt with low weight limits for forward facing (which to me is not nearly as big a deal on a plane as in a car) as well as certified for lap belt use only, including dedicated infant seats.
A US seat would resolve the BA issue but they cant be used in the UK (to/from the airport) or EU so this is not really a practical option for most parents especially given the low risk associated with having a lap child. Would it not be more sensible for BA to permit the use of UK/EU approved seats that are designed for use on aircraft? It is very counter intuitive to have to purchase a US seat to secure a child on a UK carrier to a destination that may well not be in the US.
Old Dec 5, 2017, 2:42 pm

Programs: BAEC Blue/Bronze, Krisflyer, Qantas
Trying to be objective about it, babies bounce a lot and have a much higher survival rate in crashes than adults. It seems right to me that the biggest risk might actually be the adult crushing the baby. Not sure where else you'd put the seat belt for a baby, if only there were compartments above your head where a baby could be stored. JOKE, don't do that.
Old Dec 5, 2017, 3:49 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
These threads are like red rags to bulls...
Old Dec 5, 2017, 4:08 pm

Originally Posted by EfficientTraveller
I have to admit my recent trip was on AA (booked initially due to taking advantage of of the free main cabin extra seat selection as it was only a short hop over to new York). I was glad of their policy with car seats, we fitted the maxi Cosi rear facing and weren't troubled in any way by the crew except for comments about how beautiful the baby was.

We have a trip booked in first on BA in February when the lad will be 6 months and that seems like a big mistake in terms of bassinet positioning . At least the food and wine will be better than main cabin!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.