Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

young children given seats away from parents

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

young children given seats away from parents

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6, 2017, 1:58 am

Location: Manchester but from Yorkshire better known as Gods country
Programs: BA Gold, , Sandals plat
Originally Posted by SCSA
There's civilisation, and then there's British Airways.

Not limited to BA. I have been separated by several rows from my daughter (aged 10 at the time) by Monarch and AA. First occasion I had pre-booked seat and was one of the last to check in so I took it on the chin. Second occasion AA doubled booked and it was a take it or leave it situation.
Old Dec 6, 2017, 1:59 am

Programs: BAEC: Silver. Nothing else as TopCashBack trumps all hotel programs
Whenever children are mentioned on FT the black tar of the UK's Victorian attitudes towards children all starts bubbling to the surface again and again.
Couple of facts:

Children are quite literally the future.
We were all children once.
Children are more important than you. Regardless of how important you think that plastic card in your wallet is.
Children will always come before you.
Other peoples children are more important to them than life itself.
That 2 year old standing there with the dummy in it's mouth is more important to BA than any GGL card holder.

So what you consider to be a "nuisance" or "privileged". Get over it. Kids are privileged. And if the presence of children antagonises you then I suggest you get some perspective.
hugolover likes this.
Old Dec 6, 2017, 2:17 am
V10

Programs: MUCCI Gold
Originally Posted by PJSMITH0
we we could extend the unfair logic to all seat assignments. Using the same basis I could argue that the same applies to teavelling with a child aged over 12 or a very elderly family member who needs reassurance such as my 98 year old nana. I’m lucky I have status but under the current BA seat selection policy some people are being discriminated on the grounds of being childless.
You're right of course, but given the concept of need, it's unlikely that a 12 year old would need to be extended the same support and your 98 year old nana may or may not, but you're both adults and can determine whether extra assistance is necessary or not.

Some people are not being discriminated against on the grounds of being childless, but - as would be accepted in any civilised society - it is accepted that their needs are not the same as young children and this is recognised appropriately. They may also be discriminated against on the grounds of not being able to afford seat selection or not being status holders, but strangely nobody seems to be complaining about that.
Old Dec 6, 2017, 2:23 am

Originally Posted by Wayland
Erm, other way around, you mean
"Always fit your own oxygen mask before helping others with theirs" is the standard spiel on ALL safety briefings
GaxxyFlyer likes this.
Old Dec 6, 2017, 2:26 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
I don't believe that CW on BA is exactly the best place for very young children. Not exactly the easiest setup to keep an eye on them or gain access to them if they have their own seats.
One of my last CW flights had someone move to let a couple and their child occupy the centre seats. Made it easier to keep an eye on the child and provided a bit of floor space for he/she to play if need be.

Anyway, the parent + child seating should be done at the time of booking rather than at some point down the line, and especially not when people are boarding and things become musical chairs.

I've been fairly lucky child wise.
Had one woman and her young son next to me in bulkhead seats on a flight to SFO and he was fine.
Another time, an Indian couple, with a young lap child, were in the window and middle seats and they wanted to be with an elderly family member who was in the cabin behind. Luckily the crew sorted something out and they moved back to join her and a man moved forward and we ended up with a free middle seat so a better deal for all of us.

From above, it does appear that whilst on a plane and the little darlings are running wild, that not all parents have the notion that the kids are important

I've no real issues moving if it helps out someone, but it does depends on their attitude. Demanding I move / intimidation won't get me to shift, but politeness will (assuming I'm not going to get screwed over seat wise and end up in the middle of a row of 4 for example).
Old Dec 6, 2017, 2:44 am

Programs: Lemonia. Best Greek ever.
The longer term answer seems to be that when budgeting to have children, always budget for holidays using J AND for seat fees.
I will inform my children.
Who have only ever travelled in Economy. Or worse.
offtothehills likes this.
Old Dec 6, 2017, 2:53 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by cupsandsaucers
Whenever children are mentioned on FT the black tar of the UK's Victorian attitudes towards children all starts bubbling to the surface again and again.
Couple of facts:

Children are quite literally the future.
they are not literally the future - perhaps you wanted figuratively

I'm impressed that there can be such a debate over something where BA has stated it has a policy to ensure that there will be an adult situated adjacent to a child U12 regardless of whether a large donation for seat selection is made or not
Old Dec 6, 2017, 2:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by Swissroll
Has anyone mentioned that a parent flying with an under 12 doesn't need to pay (as per BAs clearly stated public policy) to be seated together yet
Really? Where I can I find this? Does BA actually promise this? In public? Goodness me.
Old Dec 6, 2017, 3:37 am

Originally Posted by omaralt
it is ludicrous to charge for seat assignment for business class
And, while a subject for another thread, this is the most obvious point
Cruz is killing BA with his penny-pinching and cent-gouging
Old Dec 6, 2017, 3:43 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Please stay on topic

Folks, time for a plea to return this thread to the topic in hand, which is BAs "we will make sure each child under 12 is seated with an adult from your booking" statement.

Keyboard warriors wishing to exercise their wider opinions on "kids" are directed to FT's Travel with Children forum.

the mod team
Old Dec 6, 2017, 3:47 am

Originally Posted by bisonrav
I'd be willing to bet that no-one complaining about this has ever been asked to move.
Well, I'm not complaining, per se, but I have been asked to move to accommodate a parent travelling with two children wanting to have an entire row of three together
I grudgingly agreed to give up my coveted window seat with no seat in front (old 777 layout) only to find the person I was swapping with was in the middle, and their other parent occupying the window seat
I explained, quietly, to the FA that I was happy to swap to help them, but I really felt i should get the choice of seats I moved to
She agreed, asked the (father) to move into the middle seat, he refused
So she moved me to Club instead - happy happy me
Once comfortably ensconced it suddenly occurred to me that they had moved a child from the middle-next-to-father seat into a window-same-row-as-mother seat and asked me to move to accommodate this swap
So the child not ever need to have been moved!
And the obnoxious father not only didn't move out of his window seat, but also now had an empty middle next to him
Must be nice to be more important than anyone else

Last edited by chrisboote; Dec 6, 2017 at 5:04 am
Old Dec 6, 2017, 3:47 am

Programs: BAEC, LHM&M, and even a dusty KLFB!
Originally Posted by SCSA
I think this thread touches a nerve for people who don't have children either by choice or because of the vagaries of fate. We're constantly looked upon with suspicion for being childless and never quite fit in amongst work peers, etc. We constantly witness parents having meltdowns at the gate over entire families demanding to be seated together, etc. We get lower priority when booking time off at work, we get the crappy guest room, etc etc. Okay I'm dipping a little into pop psychology, but I think this does sound very much like another situation where childless people are being asked to subsidise and accommodate kids.
And don't forget you have all the freedom in the world to take your holidays outside of school vacation periods, when places are much quieter, hotels and flights cost less than half as much and parents don't want time off work, and you have more redemption possibilities for one or two seats than families do for four or five. Swings and roundabouts...

And if it comes to meltdowns at the gate, I wager most people here could cite you more of those from people without children than with
Old Dec 6, 2017, 3:57 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by msm2000uk
My thoughts exactly.

The OP asked a reasonable and relevant question, and yet somehow the thread is discussing the definition of a 'child'.

Threads like these SHOULD AND COULD proove invaluable for those seeking information, but instead it is littered with intimidating tones and unnecessary remarks.

I wish the OP a safe flight, and I'm sure BA will resolve the matter quite simply and easily either on the day, or just before.

Fortunately, the vast majority of travel passengers are instilled with decent human values; shame the same cannot always be said for those in the online community.

M
Hear hear ^
Old Dec 6, 2017, 4:25 am

Originally Posted by Oxon Flyer
Folks, time for a plea to return this thread to the topic in hand, which is BAs "we will make sure each child under 12 is seated with an adult from your booking" statement.
Exactly. That is why it is really a non thread.

BA will make the necessary arrangements in line with the statement on their website. If someone else has to be moved then they will be shifted and in a worst case scenario their seat reservation fee will be refunded. There isn't anything else to debate really, it's called an 'operational need'.
Old Dec 6, 2017, 4:51 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
When did the OP book the flight anyway? Months ago, the day before this thread?
Or a Bronze card holder who went to reserve seats at T-7?

In my opinion, being seat shifted perhaps months in advance wouldn't be that bad as it would still give a good range of options, but if someone comes along and books at say T-48, then I would probably be rather miffed especially if I've had a certain seat reserved for up to a year in advance.
At this late stage, you'll probably find most seats are taken and a few undesirable ones left such as middle against a toilet wall remain. Not going to great for someone if they go to check-in on Friday or at the airport on Saturday and find they've been shifted, without any warning from 26C with their family members back to 70e or something.....

Last edited by xenole; Dec 6, 2017 at 5:05 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.