Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

young children given seats away from parents

young children given seats away from parents

Old Dec 5, 2017, 10:56 pm

This thread sadly highlights the negative elements of FT.
710 77345 likes this.
Old Dec 6, 2017, 12:08 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by ckx2
Request a refund. Or fly private plane.
Classic Flyer Talk reply. Maybe the parents with children should fly private. I just feel like people with kids should be willing to pay for seating if they want to be guaranteed to sit together.
Old Dec 6, 2017, 12:18 am

I think this thread touches a nerve for people who don't have children either by choice or because of the vagaries of fate. We're constantly looked upon with suspicion for being childless and never quite fit in amongst work peers, etc. We constantly witness parents having meltdowns at the gate over entire families demanding to be seated together, etc. We get lower priority when booking time off at work, we get the crappy guest room, etc etc. Okay I'm dipping a little into pop psychology, but I think this does sound very much like another situation where childless people are being asked to subsidise and accommodate kids.
T8191 likes this.
Old Dec 6, 2017, 12:27 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR/Lifetime Gold, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by SCSA
I think this thread touches a nerve for people who don't have children either by choice or because of the vagaries of fate. We're constantly looked upon with suspicion for being childless and never quite fit in amongst work peers, etc. We constantly witness parents having meltdowns at the gate over entire families demanding to be seated together, etc. We get lower priority when booking time off at work, we get the crappy guest room, etc etc. Okay I'm dipping a little into pop psychology, but I think this does sound very much like another situation where childless people are being asked to subsidise and accommodate kids.
I am afraid subsidising and accommodating others is part of existing in a civilised society. I suspect there are many on here who don't get good value for their tax contribution, but that is the price to pay for civilisation.
Oaxaca and bisonrav like this.
Old Dec 6, 2017, 12:34 am

There's civilisation, and then there's British Airways.
Old Dec 6, 2017, 12:50 am
V10

Programs: MUCCI Gold
I don't think that this is even BA showing favouritism to families or discriminating against single travellers, although the result may cause some to think that.

Putting it bluntly, BA's main interest probably lies in not wanting to find itself having to defend a negligence claim in court should something happen to a child that has been separated from at least one parent against its own policy, and the guidelines of the CAA.
Old Dec 6, 2017, 1:16 am

Programs: BA (GGL/CCR)
I would have some sympathy for this point of view if this were one of those countless threads from parents whining or disputing lounge guesting rules that (oh the horror!) don't let them take their little darlings in with them, or the people who weaponise a child by using it as an excuse to secure priority boarding for an enormous extended family of adults, or those who insist that their small children are entitled to a full adult hand baggage allocation but then demand that sundry buggies child seats and special child requisites should also be accommodated on top. But this is just a thread from someone who has, perfectly properly, questioned how they can ensure that BA delivers on its promise to ensure small children are seated near an adult on the booking. OP has made no unreasonable demands, and the policy in question is pure common sense.
Old Dec 6, 2017, 1:20 am

I've no problem with seating children next to one parent. I just think the fair approach should be if parent wants to be guaranteed this, parent should pay for his/her seat and then have the kids assigned adjacent to the paid seat. I would suggest BA change to this system. If you're not willing to pay for the adult seat then be aware that it will be more work to accommodate you.
JayeJ likes this.
Old Dec 6, 2017, 1:33 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
One parent will be put in an adjacent seat (might be across the aisle or behind/in front), and two parent/child pairs may be a long way from each other (e.g. 20B/C and 38E/39E or whatever, that kind of things) if you do not pay for advance seat assignment*.

But BA will do what they need to meet their legal obligations, which means at least each child will be seated in an adjacent set to one of their parent, but BA are not obliged to do more than that.

If you really want to seat the whole family together, then you'd need to pay for it in order to assure being seated together. However, it might happen that BA will seat all of you together anyway without fees. Of course, it's entirely possible that kind-hearted passengers** who notice you being separated may offer to swap on board so that you can all be seated together as well.

* In the absence of an appropriate OW status.

** There is a degree of self-interest in this as well, in that a family seated together tend to be quieter for those around them, as they won't be shouting to each other, moving around the cabin to spend time together, or kids missing one of the parents seated away from them etc, so don't feel too guilty if someone offers to swap

Last edited by LTN Phobia; Dec 6, 2017 at 2:19 am
Old Dec 6, 2017, 1:35 am
V10

Programs: MUCCI Gold
I've no problem with seating children next to one parent. I just think the fair approach should be if parent wants to be guaranteed this, parent should pay for his/her seat and then have the kids assigned adjacent to the paid seat. I would suggest BA change to this system. If you're not willing to pay for the adult seat then be aware that it will be more work to accommodate you.
Strongly disagree. Not sitting a child next to a parent is unconscionable, and forcing parents to pay to ensure that this does not happen is penalising them. Your suggestion is manifestly UNFAIR on parents.
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Originally Posted by passy777
This thread sadly highlights the negative elements of FT.
My thoughts exactly.

The OP asked a reasonable and relevant question, and yet somehow the thread is discussing the definition of a 'child'.

Threads like these SHOULD AND COULD proove invaluable for those seeking information, but instead it is littered with intimidating tones and unnecessary remarks.

I wish the OP a safe flight, and I'm sure BA will resolve the matter quite simply and easily either on the day, or just before.

Fortunately, the vast majority of travel passengers are instilled with decent human values; shame the same cannot always be said for those in the online community.

M
Stez, T8191 and Saltire74 like this.

There is no need to pay. BA will do it for free.

Should have, could have, would have - it's all blather. Someone else will be shifted by BA as an 'operational requirement'. Fact.
Old Dec 6, 2017, 1:42 am

Has anyone mentioned that a parent flying with an under 12 doesn't need to pay (as per BAs clearly stated public policy) to be seated together yet :-)
Old Dec 6, 2017, 1:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

oh, for goodness's sake. That is simply not the case. Not all of us who do not have children necessarily carry that gigantic chip on our shoulder that some people seem to be afflicted with.
Old Dec 6, 2017, 1:50 am

Location: Manchester but from Yorkshire better known as Gods country
Programs: BA Gold, , Sandals plat
Originally Posted by V10
Strongly disagree. Not sitting a child next to a parent is unconscionable, and forcing parents to pay to ensure that this does not happen is penalising them. Your suggestion is manifestly UNFAIR on parents.

we we could extend the unfair logic to all seat assignments. Using the same basis I could argue that the same applies to teavelling with a child aged over 12 or a very elderly family member who needs reassurance such as my 98 year old nana. Im lucky I have status but under the current BA seat selection policy some people are being discriminated on the grounds of being childless.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.