Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

young children given seats away from parents

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

young children given seats away from parents

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5, 2017, 12:08 pm
Suspended

Programs: Life Miles, Miles and more
Originally Posted by SCToni
So you ignored the information about seat selection, and decided that everyone else who paid for the chance to select their seat location can just get up and move to seat they didn't prefer, so that you can sit next to your travel companions without having to pay a seat selection fee? Doesn't seem right to me. If you want or need to sit by certain people, then pay the seat selection fee. See? There. DONE.
This is beyond ridiculous. BA's advertised commitment to families has been quoted here several times. I don't understand why people continue to argue? Families are no different to various other groups given a waiver of some sort from seat selection fees. The irony of people who don't pay for seats (I don't know if you do, I'm sure many of those getting worked up don't) calling someone cheap is beyond parody.

If BA are too inept to have a system to save seats next to each other at the time someone books, and instead leave it to a few days before the flight when obviously it may not be feasible, that is not the OPs fault, that lies squarely with BA. The OP has not 'decided' to inconvenience anyone. Some strange projection going on here. Some clearly don't like anyone else being given perks by the airline. Except it's not a perk is it, it's necessary to sit kids with their parents.

Old Dec 5, 2017, 12:09 pm

Programs: EK,BA,QR
Originally Posted by wantmymoneyback
Because they offer it for free.....

its like saying why don’t I pay for travel on the underground for the children???? Because it’s free
Ahh, but they don't guarantee a seat next to your tot
Old Dec 5, 2017, 12:12 pm

I'd have chucked the diaper bag right back in your friend's face.
Old Dec 5, 2017, 12:38 pm

Originally Posted by SCToni
Why on earth didn't you pay the seat selection fee? That's what you need to do.
But he can't because there are not two seats together for him to select. So paying is not an option.

However as mentioned this is a 4 class plane with the first section currently blocked. As it looks like a pretty full flight in business so the likely hood is probably that the first section will be opened and operate in business class mode but those with status will move into them and there will be seats for the party together in the normal club cabin.
BA seem to tell people they have not paid if they phone querying which is a little like rubbing salt into the wound as they cannot pay at this point. It always seems to resolve itself on these routes before on-line check-in.

Last edited by TPloser; Dec 5, 2017 at 12:51 pm Reason: finger trouble
Old Dec 5, 2017, 1:20 pm

Programs: AA, DL, Avis, Enterprise, National, IHG, HH, SPG/MR
Originally Posted by Steve in Olympia
No, it isn't in theCofC. But it is clearly spelled out on the BA website, consistent withthe published guidelines of the CAA:

"We will make sure each child under 12 years sits next to an adult from your booking."
So it's not in the agreement and they are not obligated to provide this service. In fact, the agreement, which is actually the binding document, states that seats are not guaranteed!
Old Dec 5, 2017, 1:26 pm

Originally Posted by nallison
This is beyond ridiculous. BA's advertised commitment to families has been quoted here several times. I don't understand why people continue to argue?

Because it's not in the terms, OP was never guaranteed seats adjacent to his children. Even if he paid for them, that still would not be the case - though at least there would be some grounds to be mildly annoyed.
Old Dec 5, 2017, 1:30 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by kb9522
So it's not in the agreement and they are not obligated to provide this service. In fact, the agreement, which is actually the binding document, states that seats are not guaranteed!
BA and all airline obliged to certain safety rules. It is not safe to leave a 4 years old child alone and move the parents few rows behind or front.
A child without supervision can hurt him/herself or others. A stranger next to a child is not a supervisor so BA would breach child protection laws (and common sense) if the parents can't sit next to their children to supervise. A contract doesn't have to include all possible scenarios especially if that is covered by other laws and legislations.
Old Dec 5, 2017, 1:32 pm
Original Poster

I started this thread a little tongue in cheek. Can’t believe some of the negative replies. Either you don’t have kids, have older kids and forget what young ones are like or are just never happy. In all probability you are the ones moaning about children out of control in J and F
dylanks likes this.
Old Dec 5, 2017, 1:44 pm
Suspended

Because it's not in the terms, OP was never guaranteed seats adjacent to his children. Even if he paid for them, that still would not be the case - though at least there would be some grounds to be mildly annoyed.
Actually the OP has a a stronger claim in the end than the person who paid. BA will move someone else for 'operational reasons' so that the kids are sat next to an adult. As probably they are required to by other laws. They will not though plan for the plane to depart with the kids sat on their own.

A parent with a young child is probably the only person on the plane outside the flight deck who is actually guaranteed to be sat with their companion. Which is in everybody's interest. Do you want parents blocking the way out scrambling for their child in an emergency?

The fault here is with BA leaving it until the last minute. I'm curious why you have a problem with someone expecting BA to deliver this.
Old Dec 5, 2017, 2:04 pm
V10

Programs: MUCCI Gold
Originally Posted by Oaxaca
This is always an emotive and divisive issue. I don't see it much on here (perhaps because BA generally handles it well), but on other forums (especilaly when LCCs are involved), I've seen this discussion get really nasty.
Prescient.
Old Dec 5, 2017, 2:13 pm

Programs: HH - Gold, BA - Blue
I see this all the time,

my simplest advice, pay for the seats then it removes all the worry & hassle of who's sitting where.

Regardless of BA policies, CAA advise etc etc. It makes it a hell of a lot simpler and less stressful for everyone involved.
Old Dec 5, 2017, 2:21 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Orange.Man
I see this all the time,

my simplest advice, pay for the seats then it removes all the worry & hassle of who's sitting where.

Regardless of BA policies, CAA advise etc etc. It makes it a hell of a lot simpler and less stressful for everyone involved.
You know, there's a lot of things in life where 'just pay' would make things a lot easier and less stressful. Shocking as it may seem, that option isn't always that easy for all of us.

Someone will probably say 'if you can't afford it dont fly'. The point is, if the airline tells you they will take care of it, why would you factor that cost in? Do you think people should plan trips on the basis BA will leave toddlers strewn around the cabin if they don't pay for a seat despite their promises? I imagine plenty of people would rather spend the money on the holiday.

Last edited by nallison; Dec 5, 2017 at 3:09 pm
Old Dec 5, 2017, 2:53 pm

Originally Posted by Krisz
BA and all airline obliged to certain safety rules. It is not safe to leave a 4 years old child alone and move the parents few rows behind or front.
A child without supervision can hurt him/herself or others. A stranger next to a child is not a supervisor so BA would breach child protection laws (and common sense) if the parents can't sit next to their children to supervise. A contract doesn't have to include all possible scenarios especially if that is covered by other laws and legislations.
Which regulation or law requires BA to place a child adjacent to a parent? Moral obligation is not the same as legal obligation, the only thing BA has the burden of meeting is the latter. I'm not well versed in this regard, so if you could point out the specific regulation or law that applies, I would be appreciative.

Actually the OP has a a stronger claim in the end than the person who paid. BA will move someone else for 'operational reasons' so that the kids are sat next to an adult. As probably they are required to by other laws. They will not though plan for the plane to depart with the kids sat on their own.

A parent with a young child is probably the only person on the plane outside the flight deck who is actually guaranteed to be sat with their companion. Which is in everybody's interest. Do you want parents blocking the way out scrambling for their child in an emergency?

The fault here is with BA leaving it until the last minute. I'm curious why you have a problem with someone expecting BA to deliver this.
Where do you see anything that guarantees this? I did not find it.

Barring some language I have yet to uncover in the CoC or a specific regulation/law, what I am reading is that you want BA to seat the child next to the parent, not that BA is under any obligation to actually do so.
Old Dec 5, 2017, 2:56 pm

The point is, if the airline tells you they will take care of it, why would you factor that cost in?
Because most aren't naive enough to believe that someone will do something just because they say they will. If that were true there would be absolutely no need for contracts or contract law.
Old Dec 5, 2017, 3:15 pm
Suspended

Because most aren't naive enough to believe that someone will do something just because they say they will. If that were true there would be absolutely no need for contracts or contract law.
Indeed, which is probably why you don't find cases of young kids being flown around separated from their parents. I doubt the case would go in BAs favour in court. They are though happy to move adults who pre-booked a seat to accommodate the child, so maybe that should tell you something

It seems your point boils down to you not trusting BA to deliver on its commitments, and happily fly toddlers around without a supervisor next to them, which is fine, but doesn't really necessitate the attacks on the OP. I also expect you are being extremely hypothetical since I expect the reality is that when it comes down to it, BA always do place the child with an adult. As others have said, it will be done, and so the parent is right to expect this. Otherwise I assume super special card holders should start paying for seats as well to be extra sure?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.