Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

young children given seats away from parents

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

young children given seats away from parents

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4, 2017, 5:22 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by HilFly
When this happened to a friend of mine, he offered to leave the diaper bag with the guy sitting next to his toddler. The guy suddenly decided that he would offer to switch seats.@:-)
sounds like a charmer <eyeroll>
Old Dec 4, 2017, 5:44 pm

Programs: BA Silver, Mucci
Originally Posted by TabTraveller
Nope. No one has said that. The OP suggested that his whole family of four ought to be seated together and this is clearly trying it on.
The OP is not expecting all four family members to be seated together, he just wants the children sitting with a parent.
Old Dec 4, 2017, 5:47 pm

Originally Posted by AtomicLush
Nothing requires a seatmate to babysit your kid. Why do parents always assume that just because someone is sitting next to their kid that they would have to feed and take care of them too? Sorry, but there is no such obligation whilst sitting next to your child. Anytime someone uses this line on me, I show them my noise-cancelling headphones. Better to catch flies with honey...
I think the OP was joking to emphasize the lunacy of sitting a 3 year old next to a complete stranger.
Old Dec 4, 2017, 5:57 pm

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
Could even end up as First Parent adjacent to 2x Kids , with Second Adult no where near.

BA's hardproduct causing some J seats to be preferred,. ie perceived as good/average/bad seats, leads to lack of swap voluteers for obvious reasons. As such OP should expect to swap his good for a poor seat .... Oh wait, since OP won't pay , OP has 4bad seats so no one will likely volunteer to swap.
Old Dec 4, 2017, 6:59 pm

delete
Old Dec 4, 2017, 7:01 pm

Deleted. This entire situation is to unbelievable to comment on. Umm.. I guess that was a comment of sorts. :-O
Old Dec 4, 2017, 7:10 pm

When this happened to a friend of mine, he offered to leave the diaper bag with the guy sitting next to his toddler. The guy suddenly decided that he would offer to switch seats.@:-)
So your friend decided to blame the guy next to his kid for BA not offering free seat assignments?
Old Dec 4, 2017, 7:11 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by MPH1980
Assuming this is the BA2167 - that's a pretty astonishingly full flight for Saturday:
The previous Saturday (2/12) was completely full too so F was opened and my wife was moved up to 1A. I think she thought I had a hand in it It seems that the 4 class 777 is routinely operating this route at the moment. Her flight back is also a 4 class.
Old Dec 4, 2017, 7:52 pm

Programs: UA 1K and Million Miler, *A Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hertz Five Star,
Originally Posted by scubaccr
Could even end up as First Parent adjacent to 2x Kids , with Second Adult no where near.

BA's hardproduct causing some J seats to be preferred,. ie perceived as good/average/bad seats, leads to lack of swap voluteers for obvious reasons. As such OP should expect to swap his good for a poor seat .... Oh wait, since OP won't pay , OP has 4bad seats so no one will likely volunteer to swap.
you have hit the nail on the head. It is unreasonable to expect people to swap good seats for crap. I have said this t before but when others make this request of me I quote them a fee equal to the price of my ticket.
aquamarinesteph likes this.
Old Dec 4, 2017, 8:03 pm

Originally Posted by Collierkr
you have hit the nail on the head. It is unreasonable to expect people to swap good seats for crap. I have said this t before but when others make this request of me I quote them a fee equal to the price of my ticket.
The sensible thing to do would be for BA to allocate parent / child seating before there are only single seats left in the cabin. It's not the parents' fault that when BA try to seat them together there are no seat pairs left. What are they supposed to do? Leave their 2 year old on their own?
Old Dec 4, 2017, 10:39 pm

Programs: Skywards Platinum
Originally Posted by TabTraveller
You are saying you want all four pax together. BA doesn't guarantee this unless you pay.

BA guarantees each child will be sat next to an adult. This will happen, even if last minute at the airport and with you ending up in crappy seats.

Throwing your toys out of your pram because you can't get a freebie of four seats in a row is unreasonable, which is why I'm calling you out on it. Making comments about a stranger looking after your child is very much the level of rational argument I'd expect from said toddler.
Yet, OP never said that he expects four seats in a row nor is he complaining about that, he is complaining about his kids being seated away from any of the adults. What he specifically said was:

Originally Posted by wantmymoneyback
In reality BA should be trying to put the 2 kids in the middle seats with an adult either side.
The 2 middle seats are the least desirable, why not place 2 kids there with parents either side? It makes sense that BA should be "trying" to do that, I don't think most here would disagree. The only expectation OP should have is that each child is seated near an adult which from his posts is all it appears to be he is expecting and complaining about.
Old Dec 4, 2017, 11:31 pm

Programs: BA, U2+, SK, AF/KL, IHG, Hilton, others gathering dust...
The sensible thing to do would be for BA to allocate parent / child seating before there are only single seats left in the cabin. It's not the parents' fault that when BA try to seat them together there are no seat pairs left. What are they supposed to do? Leave their 2 year old on their own?
In fairness to BA, this is something they are normally pretty good at. The usual practice if you haven't reserved seats when travelling with under-12s is that BA assigns them 3-6 days prior to the flight with at least one adult with each child if at all possible, and it's relatively rare to see online complaints about what they assign. It is a bit more complicated in a busy premium cabin than in Economy.

Something obviously was missed here, but calling BA again would hopefully sort it. The first call centre agent was clearly wrong. They may move other pax, which is obviously better to do in advance to avoid the sort of onboard conflict that a few posters would appear to relish. If their seat has been moved in advance for "operational reasons", not much opportunity for conflict with other pax.

This is always an emotive and divisive issue. I don't see it much on here (perhaps because BA generally handles it well), but on other forums (especilaly when LCCs are involved), I've seen this discussion get really nasty.

Last edited by Oaxaca; Dec 4, 2017 at 11:38 pm
Old Dec 4, 2017, 11:31 pm
Original Poster

Can’t believe some feel it’s acceptable to put on noise cancelling headphones and ignore my children. Btw I presume you have never travelled 10 hours next to a very young child.... noise cancelling headphones would most definitely not save the day.
dylanks likes this.
Old Dec 5, 2017, 12:25 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by whimike
Yet, OP never said that he expects four seats in a row nor is he complaining about that, he is complaining about his kids being seated away from any of the adults. What he specifically said was:

The 2 middle seats are the least desirable, why not place 2 kids there with parents either side? It makes sense that BA should be "trying" to do that, I don't think most here would disagree. The only expectation OP should have is that each child is seated near an adult which from his posts is all it appears to be he is expecting and complaining about.
Two seats in the middle with an adult either side = a row of four together. So actually that's EXACTLY what the OP says BA should do for him. But this isn't BA policy. He needs to pay for this but has decided not to do so. Thus the OP has only himself to blame and is chancing his arm.
Old Dec 5, 2017, 12:48 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
While the BA policy says the children must be sat next to an Adult (Parent in this instance), what would happen if nobody refused to move from their seats?

Sure, it's a big IF, but what would BA do? Would they force someone into a switch, whereby refusal would lead to Denied Boarding?

For what it's worth, I'm sure BA will manage to find a way to move the little ones in 2 middle seats, and at least one adult on the aisle.

Expecting a full row of 4, which of course would be the ideal situation, may be thinking too highly.

M
offtothehills likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.