Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

young children given seats away from parents

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

young children given seats away from parents

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6, 2017, 5:02 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by msm2000uk

Threads like these SHOULD AND COULD proove invaluable for those seeking information, but instead it is littered with intimidating tones and unnecessary remarks.
To be fair the OP was given the correct information in the first few replies. Information which is easily found on the ba.com seating page anyway.
mikeyfly likes this.
Old Dec 6, 2017, 5:27 am

Programs: BAEC
I had to open this thread to see why it was still being discussed...ironically what is being discussed is why it's still being discussed, 13 pages later! You have love FT sometimes.

Resort to the first few replies and pages for more valuable information. Hopefully the OP has seats together now and maybe one day the complexities around family bookings will be incorporated by BA's IT systems or FLY to recognise this. My sister had a similar situation recently when her 2 young kids were seated away from each other and the parents, even the 2 kids were separated in the booking, so randomly scattered around the cabin, it does seem odd that FLY does this. It was one PNR, all the same family name both under 8 yrs old, in WTP. It took to getting on board and asking to move for it to be rectified. Like I said, shame the IT side can't sort this yet.
KeaneJohn likes this.
Old Dec 6, 2017, 5:56 am
Suspended

Programs: Life Miles, Miles and more
Originally Posted by PJSMITH0
we we could extend the unfair logic to all seat assignments. Using the same basis I could argue that the same applies to teavelling with a child aged over 12 or a very elderly family member who needs reassurance such as my 98 year old nana. I’m lucky I have status but under the current BA seat selection policy some people are being discriminated on the grounds of being childless.
No we couldn't. Some groups are given waivers for different reasons, whether financial for certain card holders, of out of necessity, such as your children. Childless people are not discriminated against any more than people without status are discriminated against. Using your logic we should take away free seat selection for status passengers. Or just give it to everyone to avoid this horrible discrimination.

It's quite obvious why young children universally require to be sat next to a parent and why the CAA advises on this group and no others. So this is not arbitrary and could not just be extended to any other group. This is not a perk, the adult doesn't get to choose where they are sat, so don't fret, they will probably be given the worst seats in the cabin if that makes you feel better. They are not gaining anything anyone else doesn't have.

I am really struggling with the idea that some people genuinely don't understand why this is necessary? Does it really upset people that much when they see the airline treating non status passengers as important, even if they are 3 years old? As someone said, yes that 3 year old is of more concern to the airline than you because they are helpless, and liability issues. I don't have children by the way. I enjoy their company a lot more than a lot of adults though. I can't imagine being so miserable and status obcessed I'd like to see young kids separated from their parents on public transport to avoid demeaning my all important 'status'. Some people really should stop viewing the whole world through peoples rank in a glorified loyalty scheme.

BA have made a decision, a sensible and frankly obvious one, and that's how it is.I wonder how you'd feel if someone came on whining that status pax shouldn't get free seat assignments because it discriminates against everyone else? They'd get laughed off the forum.
Dambus, HIDDY, Cymro and 2 others like this.
Old Dec 6, 2017, 6:52 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Some people do not seem to have taken any notice of the request from Oxon Flyer to keep to the topic and not persistently stray into the meta discussion on fairness towards singles or those with family etc.

You know what's coming next when a polite request is ignored. Padlock time., since the OP's question was politely, properly and correctly addressed at multiple points in the thread.

LTN Phobia
Moderator: BA forum

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.