Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Transferring bags from BA to CX connecting flight in HKG

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4, 2017, 1:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: Mucci; BA, LT GGL; QF, platinum; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Diamond

On 20 Dec, Mme M1 and I are arriving in HKG on BA31 at 1420, connecting with a CX flight to SGN at 1650. Assuming BA is not desperately late, can anyone suggest the best way to handle baggage. Presumably I should let Mme M1 go through transit and go to the Wing while I exit, get the bags and go up to check-in - unless anyone has a better strategy since the queues at immigration both ways can be a pain.
Old Dec 4, 2017, 2:22 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by morges1
On 20 Dec, Mme M1 and I are arriving in HKG on BA31 at 1420, connecting with a CX flight to SGN at 1650. Assuming BA is not desperately late, can anyone suggest the best way to handle baggage. Presumably I should let Mme M1 go through transit and go to the Wing while I exit, get the bags and go up to check-in - unless anyone has a better strategy since the queues at immigration both ways can be a pain.
Sounds like the only plan really. Someone else asked a similar question recently and it was noted there used to be a way to get your bag re-tagged without going through immigration and re-checking it in, but another FT'er noted that seems to have been stopped now.
Old Dec 4, 2017, 2:27 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I suppose there is the expensive option of sending some luggage in advance and going HBO for the rest? I think that timescale is a bit tight unless you have e-gate access in HKG, it wouldn't take much more than a bit of wind and the wrong arrival gate in HKG to make this connection unpleasant or even undo-able, given the bags would need to be re-checked in no later than 15:50 or so. So it would be best to have a plan B here.
Old Dec 4, 2017, 2:44 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Just a pointer, but you asked the same question last week, and it was moved to the appropriate thread :-

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29109255-post1479.html
Old Dec 4, 2017, 2:49 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
The similar question is here:

Hong Kong Arrivals/Lounge access
KARFA likes this.
Old Dec 4, 2017, 7:06 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
I suppose there is the expensive option of sending some luggage in advance and going HBO for the rest? I think that timescale is a bit tight unless you have e-gate access in HKG, it wouldn't take much more than a bit of wind and the wrong arrival gate in HKG to make this connection unpleasant or even undo-able, given the bags would need to be re-checked in no later than 15:50 or so. So it would be best to have a plan B here.
Thanks, c-w-s

Apologies (and appropriate grovel), DYKWIA, didn't see that, which is why I reposted.

Also thanks, SXC, but unable to access:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cath...l#post29029044

Last edited by morges1; Dec 4, 2017 at 7:11 am
Old Dec 7, 2017, 12:27 am

I’ve just noticed this thread and would be interested to know how the transfer went. We’re doing this flight leaving on Hogmanay and the sales agent at BA told me that our bags would be checked straight through EDI-LHR-HKG-SGN, so it seems this is not correct?
Old Dec 7, 2017, 12:37 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

@travelhappypair was your ticket purchased as one booking? In that case, you will be checked all the way through.
Old Dec 7, 2017, 12:39 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by morges1
Thanks, c-w-s

Apologies (and appropriate grovel), DYKWIA, didn't see that, which is why I reposted.

Also thanks, SXC, but unable to access:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cathay-pacific-marco-polo-club/1524513-cathay-pacific-experience-seats-interline-baggage-faqs-post29029044.html#post29029044]https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cath...l#post29029044[/url]
I think the link you want is https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cath...l#post29029044
Old Dec 7, 2017, 1:14 am

SXC thanks for the quick reply - yes the booking is on one BA ticket, good to hear we’ve not got to pick up our bags at HKG.
Old Dec 7, 2017, 3:09 am
Original Poster

Thanks, SXC, since we have two tickets, I will have to recover my bags in HKG and recheck.

But isn't it amazing - a few weeks ago we were travelling from Madagascar to Geneva, on KQ connecting to BA in Nairobi. I assumed that I would have to exit in NBO and recheck bags but no - Air Madagascar (not renowned for its efficiency!) had no problems checking our bags through to GVA, where they arrived at the same time as us!! But first world airlines like BA and CX find it too difficult!
Old Dec 7, 2017, 3:19 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

@morges1 CX has no problem with it. If you were checking in with CX and connecting to another oneworld airline where that flight is on a separate ticket, they will check your bag all the way through. In other words, for your return flight, you won’t have to collect your bag in HK and recheck it with BA landside. It will be checked through from SGN.

What they wont do anymore is if you land in HK coming off a BA flight where your bag is only tagged to HKG, collect your bag and retag it onto a CX flight while you remain airside.
Old Dec 7, 2017, 3:52 am

Programs: BA Blue, IHG Spire, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by KARFA
Sounds like the only plan really. Someone else asked a similar question recently and it was noted there used to be a way to get your bag re-tagged without going through immigration and re-checking it in, but another FT'er noted that seems to have been stopped now.
I posted a similar question last week so definitely have an interest in this!

Hadn't thought about leaving my wife in the lounge while I do the immigration/baggage run as Morges1 was proposing.
Would it not be a problem though for just one person to check the bags in i.e do both people on the booking need to be there for this?
Old Dec 8, 2017, 2:53 pm
Suspended

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by Eskimoboy
Would it not be a problem though for just one person to check the bags in i.e do both people on the booking need to be there for this?
That depends a) how honest the person is ("yes sir they're both my bags") and b) what luggage allowance they have.
If travelling with one bag each but with an allowance of 2pcs, one person could collect the bags and re-check them both in his own name, with the other person technically travelling with none. If they had 1pc each, then yes they would both need to be there, as no individual bag would be accepted without its owner.
Old Feb 2, 2018, 7:53 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Eurobonus Gold, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold
I was wondering how this all went as I’m doing similar next month but in ICN. Can you not just head to the lounge, feign confusion and ask for the bags to be retrieved and transferred?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.