FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Transferring bags from BA to CX connecting flight in HKG (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1880835-transferring-bags-ba-cx-connecting-flight-hkg.html)

Often1 Feb 2, 2018 8:10 am

Originally Posted by morges1 (Post 29144715)
Thanks, SXC, since we have two tickets, I will have to recover my bags in HKG and recheck.

But isn't it amazing - a few weeks ago we were travelling from Madagascar to Geneva, on KQ connecting to BA in Nairobi. I assumed that I would have to exit in NBO and recheck bags but no - Air Madagascar (not renowned for its efficiency!) had no problems checking our bags through to GVA, where they arrived at the same time as us!! But first world airlines like BA and CX find it too difficult!

It is not difficult in the least. Any carrier with an interline baggage agreement may interline bags to any other such carrier. The reason that BA will not check bags across tickets is purely a policy decision which follows a decision by OW not to require it. A discussion of the policy is not really relevant to this thread as OP is just trying to determine how best to get his bags from A to B.

windchaser777 Feb 2, 2018 10:35 pm

Originally Posted by waribai (Post 29371147)
I was wondering how this all went as I’m doing similar next month but in ICN. Can you not just head to the lounge, feign confusion and ask for the bags to be retrieved and transferred?

As sxc said up-thread, CX no longer retrieves and re-tags bags that are only tagged to HKG. Your bag would be sent to the lost and mis-handled baggage department for you to pick up on your way back through.

waribai Feb 3, 2018 1:00 am

Originally Posted by windchaser777 (Post 29374008)
As sxc said up-thread, CX no longer retrieves and re-tags bags that are only tagged to HKG. Your bag would be sent to the lost and mis-handled baggage department for you to pick up on your way back through.

Granted that is the case with CX in HKG but I’ll be transferring onto OZ in ICN. I wonder if they have a different approach especially if we are travelling in C and I enquire via the lounge staff?

windchaser777 Feb 3, 2018 4:25 am

Originally Posted by waribai (Post 29374207)

Granted that is the case with CX in HKG but I’ll be transferring onto OZ in ICN. I wonder if they have a different approach especially if we are travelling in C and I enquire via the lounge staff?

I apologise, I misread

Best way to find out is ask on the OZ forum

morges1 Feb 11, 2018 3:10 am

I never did post the outcome of our connection in HKG. BA31 left LHR relatively (and unusually) on time. We were, however, 50 min late at 1510 and came in at gate 62! Nevertheless, there were (again unusually) few people at immigration. Got to baggage claim (with a family of four doing the same thing), got bags, got to CX check-in at 1540 for our 1650 A350 flight, back through immigration, back to gate 42 and then 30min relaxation in The Pier.