Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA First Class FA gave me a wrapped Paracetamol/Codeine tablet during a flight

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA First Class FA gave me a wrapped Paracetamol/Codeine tablet during a flight

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3, 2017, 6:38 am
Formerly known as newbie elite

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, Accor Platinum, AC50K
Originally Posted by macabus
In the USA. Codeine is a Schedule III narcotic – in the same class as Vicodin (hydrocodone)

If you are caught possessing even one pill without a doctor's prescription, the penalties are up to one year in jail and six months suspension of your driver's license. There is a zero-tolerance policy.

People are arrested at U.S. borders all the time for minor infractions. Ignorance of the law is no excuse.

A friend of mine was searched at LAX and arrested for having 4 tablets of Tylenol 3 with codeine. He lost a high-level security clearance and was fired from his consulting job.

I was not being overly dramatic when I said it could have potentially ruined my life if caught with the codeine tablet. Would I have "flipped" on the FA to gain leniency? Would U.S. Customs have investigated and penalized the FA? I'm glad I didn't have to actually deal with these questions.

But this could have been a life-altering incident.
Posting the same thing twice does not make your lame delusional paranoid story better in any way.
travelmad478 and adrianlondon like this.
Old Dec 3, 2017, 6:49 am

I would be more concern about the fact that mixing acetominophen (paracetamol) and alcohol is a VERY BAD idea due to the hepatoxoicity of APAP that gets increased in the presence of alcohol.
Old Dec 3, 2017, 6:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by macabus
Would U.S. Customs have investigated and penalized the FA?
Why would US customs have any interest in investigating the cabin crew member? They did nothing wrong.
Old Dec 3, 2017, 7:06 am
C W

Programs: DL PM, AS MVP 75K, HH/SPG/MR Gold, Amex Plat, PRG, CSR
Originally Posted by KARFA
I always have a pack or two of paracetamol in my bag when I travel - possibly other people similarly do so too. I visit the US usually 3-4 times a year. Are you saying I should get a prescription for them and carry it with me? Or does this only apply if Codeine is present too.

I can't imagine my GP would be insteresed in writing a prescription for paracetamol or paracetamol & Codeine.
Paracetemol is not controlled nor prescription in the US. Codeine is both prescription and controlled. Controlled is for addictive/abusable drugs and means it is illegal to posses them without a prescription or other licensure. Not very many prescription drugs are controlled, but all controlled drugs are prescription.
Old Dec 3, 2017, 7:18 am

Got to give the OP credit for coming back and looking silly twice over.
Old Dec 3, 2017, 7:45 am

Programs: BA Gold/Marriott Titanium Lifetime/UA/JetBlue
We do not carry codeine on board BA aircraft. The only drug we have for mild/moderate pain is Paracetamol and I certainly would not give this to someone that had been drinking heavily. The rules for giving out medication are very strict. You ask the customer questions before giving them out which means asking about allergies, and whether the person has taken any previous medication. It must be taken on board and nothing is to be given out for a customer to take off the aircraft with them. we also have to fill out a form with customer name and time pill was taken (to avoid other crew giving out more to the same person). If we have recommended Paracetamol (i.e the customer has not asked for it by name) then a more detailed form need to be filled out including customer address and contact and signs and symptoms etc.
If the "very nice' crew member gave out some of their own personal medication they were not complying with our very clear rules and training.

As an aside the only places we are told that Codeine is not to be carried without prescription is UAE and some other Middle Eastern destinations.
Old Dec 3, 2017, 9:38 am

Wow... I took a full pack of this stuff to the US with me when I was on a recent mountain biking trip. Had no idea it was such a serious thing there.
Old Dec 3, 2017, 10:02 am

Programs: All the best ones.
Medicines of any kind should be kept in their labelled pill boxes or packaging, for entry into another country, or it is likely to be confiscated by customs. My experience of customs and pills is that they can empty all the pills out of the containers to check that the pill identification numbers match the medicine on the pill bottle. I have never been asked for the prescriptions, but see that it could happen if the names on the pill box labels don't match.

1. Don't put medicines in your checked luggage, you might need them, before you get the luggage back.
2. If you are a forgetful type or a fellow passenger is, take a pill only at specified times. If that does not work, take a photo every time they take a pill, so you know when the last one was taken, and don't overdose due to forgetfulness.
3. Keep medicines in their safety containers away from children and animals. Discard any old medicines to prevent them from being abused.
4. Follow the dosage instructions, do not double up medicines, it does not double their effectiveness, but can increase the risks of adverse effects.
5. Take all your medicines to show the pharmacist or physician at each visit, so they can see what you are taking, they can check for cross-reactivity.
6. Don't mis-use drugs by taking them with alcohol, or abuse them, by taking them when no longer needed: Stop taking Antibiotics after an infection has gone, in compliance with your healthcare provider instructions,
7. Law enforcement agents can't be fooled. They are shockingly knowledgable about legal and illegal drugs, and can test your pills, clothes, skin, blood, hair, or urine, for illegal substances.
8. No matter how well intentioned, the Flight attendant or anyone else, should NEVER provide a medicine, unless it has been requested and consented too by the requester as a medical need. After the request, the provider should ensure consent to take the medicine, check it is the appropriate medicine, followed by compliance that the medicine is taken at the time and dosage recommended, to prevent subsequent abuse. Or in the OS's case to prevent a bit of confusion and worry about the medicine afterwards.
Old Dec 3, 2017, 10:08 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by Peter M
Medicines of any kind should be kept in their labelled pill boxes or packaging, for entry into another country, or it is likely to be confiscated by customs. My experience of customs and pills is that they can empty all the pills out of the containers to check that the pill identification numbers match the medicine on the pill bottle. I have never been asked for the prescriptions, but see that it could happen if the names on the pill box labels don't match.

1. Don't put medicines in your checked luggage, you might need them, before you get the luggage back.
2. If you are a forgetful type or a fellow passenger is, take a pill only at specified times. If that does not work, take a photo every time they take a pill, so you know when the last one was taken, and don't overdose due to forgetfulness.
3. Keep medicines in their safety containers away from children and animals. Discard any old medicines to prevent them from being abused.
4. Follow the dosage instructions, do not double up medicines, it does not double their effectiveness, but can increase the risks of adverse effects.
5. Take all your medicines to show the pharmacist or physician at each visit, so they can see what you are taking, they can check for cross-reactivity.
6. Don't mis-use drugs by taking them with alcohol, or abuse them, by taking them when no longer needed: Stop taking Antibiotics after an infection has gone, in compliance with your healthcare provider instructions,
7. Law enforcement agents can't be fooled. They are shockingly knowledgable about legal and illegal drugs, and can test your pills, clothes, skin, blood, hair, or urine, for illegal substances.
8. No matter how well intentioned, the Flight attendant or anyone else, should NEVER provide a medicine, unless it has been requested and consented too by the requester as a medical need. After the request, the provider should ensure consent to take the medicine, check it is the appropriate medicine, followed by compliance that the medicine is taken at the time and dosage recommended, to prevent subsequent abuse. Or in the OS's case to prevent a bit of confusion and worry about the medicine afterwards.
Well that was thorough, although some subsections might help the clarity of your presentation in future. Are you available for dinner parties?

I think some posters need to calm down about this. Whilst codeine is controlled in the US, if you are caught bringing paramol or similar into the US in small quantities from the UK then I doubt much would happen other than confiscation.
Old Dec 3, 2017, 10:10 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
I’m confused. You thought you might be executed because a n immigration officer might confuse chocolate cake for heroin?

Originally Posted by bisonrav
Good job it wasn't Singapore. MANDATORY death sentence.

Which brings to mind my honeymoon trip to Singapore. We had married in Kuching, Malaysia, a Chinese affair with many tables and drinking games involving whisky and brandy on each one. I was several sheets to the wind, but with enough composure to save some of the uneaten cake, which had been presented in favour boxes, and put it in the bottom of my carry on for the flight to Sing the next day. Where I forgot about it.

Now for what follows, you need to know that the cake was a mid- brownish colour, fudgy, and neatly wrapped in cling film. I had 6 or 7 of these neatly stowed in the bag. You will be well ahead of where I was at this point, I was trying mostly to sleep off a hangover.

As you come into to land at Singapore, there's an announcement. At that time it hadn't been softened to the "severe consequences" or whatever it is they say now, and explained breezily that the penalty for drug smuggling is death. And I remembered the cake. And I realised what it might look like to a zealous inspector. And in the way your mind races in such situations I guessed that having been arrested for having a number of what appeared to be packages of raw heroin in my bag, the inspector would be too embarrassed to lose face by accepting it tested positive for cake, would trump up some fake charges, and I'd be hung at dawn.

In the event, all was well, and my stash wasn't discovered. But to this day I still shudder at the thought of being the only person ever in history to be executed for smuggling wedding cake.
IAMORGAN likes this.
Old Dec 3, 2017, 10:13 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
Originally Posted by LondonElite
I’m confused. You thought you might be executed because a n immigration officer might confuse chocolate cake for heroin?
"humour"
Old Dec 3, 2017, 10:26 am

Programs: BA
The cabin crew are strictly not allowed to give out any medication unless needed. The correct documentation is completed and a red seal placed on either kit to indicate. The more powerful medication cannot be administered without a doctor present even if in contact with MedLink.
Old Dec 3, 2017, 10:31 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Not sure if the OP will oblige with the information, but I too am interested to know how this single tablet was “wrapped”.

Individually manufacturer-packed in its own package ? The last one in a foiled multipack ? As in a “wrap”?
Was this tablet labelled too ?
Old Dec 3, 2017, 10:42 am
amt

Programs: BA GGL & CCR
Yeah I don’t believe this to be true... crew don’t hand out pills with a wink and a smile because someone is drinking a lot in F and people don’t accept medications they didn’t ask or express a need for from strangers.

But for arguments sake I was offered medication by the CSD in F once following an incident onboard. I was told they carry kit with a variety of medications onboard (I refused the offer, partner suggested taking them just in case the situation worsened and they were necessary) but the crew offered explicit instructions that they had to be taken onboard in front of the staff member, recorded in a report and any medications offered could not be taken off the plane.
Old Dec 3, 2017, 10:43 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Oxon Flyer
Not sure if the OP will oblige with the information, but I too am interested to know how this single tablet was “wrapped”.

Individually manufacturer-packed in its own package ? The last one in a foiled multipack ? As in a “wrap”?
Was this tablet labelled too ?
Yes, it was a single from a foil pack – similar photo attached.

She took it from her purse, so I'm assuming it was a personal supply.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.