Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA First Class FA gave me a wrapped Paracetamol/Codeine tablet during a flight

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA First Class FA gave me a wrapped Paracetamol/Codeine tablet during a flight

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3, 2017, 2:47 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
Good job it wasn't Singapore. MANDATORY death sentence.

Which brings to mind my honeymoon trip to Singapore. We had married in Kuching, Malaysia, a Chinese affair with many tables and drinking games involving whisky and brandy on each one. I was several sheets to the wind, but with enough composure to save some of the uneaten cake, which had been presented in favour boxes, and put it in the bottom of my carry on for the flight to Sing the next day. Where I forgot about it.

Now for what follows, you need to know that the cake was a mid- brownish colour, fudgy, and neatly wrapped in cling film. I had 6 or 7 of these neatly stowed in the bag. You will be well ahead of where I was at this point, I was trying mostly to sleep off a hangover.

As you come into to land at Singapore, there's an announcement. At that time it hadn't been softened to the "severe consequences" or whatever it is they say now, and explained breezily that the penalty for drug smuggling is death. And I remembered the cake. And I realised what it might look like to a zealous inspector. And in the way your mind races in such situations I guessed that having been arrested for having a number of what appeared to be packages of raw heroin in my bag, the inspector would be too embarrassed to lose face by accepting it tested positive for cake, would trump up some fake charges, and I'd be hung at dawn.

In the event, all was well, and my stash wasn't discovered. But to this day I still shudder at the thought of being the only person ever in history to be executed for smuggling wedding cake.

Last edited by bisonrav; Dec 3, 2017 at 2:58 am
Old Dec 3, 2017, 3:23 am

I am confused, why is this such a big deal? Is paracetemol illegal in the US?

I literally have paracetomol and/or ibuprofen with me wherever I go.
Old Dec 3, 2017, 3:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by jah718
I am confused, why is this such a big deal? Is paracetemol illegal in the US?

I literally have paracetomol and/or ibuprofen with me wherever I go.
No. Paracetamol is fine... widely available at every drug store and supermarket. But codeine may be a problem without prescription (depending on whether you or the officer was having a bad day).
chrisny2 likes this.
Old Dec 3, 2017, 4:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by bisonrav
Good job it wasn't Singapore. MANDATORY death sentence.
No need to exaggerate. The death penalty applies in cases of trafficking drugs (low threshold) and there is a (higher) threshold before the death sentence is mandatory.
Old Dec 3, 2017, 4:37 am

Originally Posted by argonath
I'm struggling to see the relevance of this post as a) its a legal drug...
it is in the UK, but the TS/OP (whatever IB call it now), was stopped in America. It may be illegal there, even if it's legal to purchase in a country, some countries prohibit drugs being taken into the country.
Old Dec 3, 2017, 4:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by nmh1204
it is in the UK, but the TS/OP (whatever IB call it now), was stopped in America. It may be illegal there, even if it's legal to purchase in a country, some countries prohibit drugs being taken into the country.
I think that we've established that the medication concerned is not illegal in the USA.

Anyway, it was the OP's choice to take the tablet away with him, and it was the OP's responsibility that he then forgot about it.

The OP seems to think that if he had been stopped by customs when he still had it on him, and if he had been searched, and if customs had found the tablet, and if customs had cared one jot about it, and if the OP had told customs that a cabin crew member had given the tablet to him, there might have been some repercussions for the cabin crew member. That, of course, is complete rubbish. The idea that it might have ruined the cabin crew member's life sounds like utter fantasy.

In any event, the OP didn't have the tablet on him any more. The whole post is on a par with "I paid the congestion charge for the day that I drove in central London. Whose life might have been ruined if I hadn't?"
Old Dec 3, 2017, 5:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
However ... this Thread serves as a useful reminder that different countries have different perspectives about certain medications that are OTC in the UK.

... and it reminds me to check the inner reaches of our wash-bags and little travelling medical kit against the regulations for some upcoming trips. ISTR Jamaica was quite interested in medical products, to the point of having a separate customs desk where you could declare them.

EDIT: WOW >>> http://www.jhcuk.org/visitors/import...cription-drugs

You see what I mean? Now I have some Admin hoops to jump through, as I'm on a permanent prescription medication.
chrisny2 likes this.

Last edited by T8191; Dec 3, 2017 at 10:16 am Reason: Jamaica
Old Dec 3, 2017, 5:37 am

Programs: BA Blue, IC Spire Ambassador
This thread is just weird on so many levels - some random thoughts:-

1. Was it codeine or paracetamol? In the UK I am pretty sure codeine is prescription only? Paracetamol is over the counter and legal pretty much everywhere as far as I know (i am pretty sure you can buy it over the counter in the UAE though the ME is one region I make a habit of NOT taking ANY medication to).

2. Why would it ruin the FA's carreer if when you were searched you still had the medication?? It was legal on the aircraft anyway. Surely it's down to YOU to make any customs declaration. It's like going through customs in Australia with a banana from the flight. There will still be a major incident style response and "the FA served it to me" won't cut it! It also won't ruin the FA's career as supplying bananas to passengers travelling to Australia is not a criminal offence.

3. Are you sure you're not high given the weirdness of the thread!? :P

4. I can't believe I am having a conversation about about a paracetamol tablet.

5. Where can you buy individually wrapped paracetamol? Is it from the medical kit?

6. If it was unsolicited how much had you had to drink?

7. If you're regularly mixing paracetamol and alcohol it won't be doing your liver any good!

8. Have a good day!

Last edited by IAMORGAN; Dec 3, 2017 at 5:42 am
Old Dec 3, 2017, 5:41 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I was once pulled up when entering the US on my bike. The agent asked me what the white powder was I was carrying...''Askit'' I replied. He shouted ''don't get smart with me buddy''.

Why were you being given such a thorough search macabus?
Old Dec 3, 2017, 5:43 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Starbucks Gold
How many bottles of LPGS did you manage, @macabus?
Old Dec 3, 2017, 5:44 am

Originally Posted by IAMORGAN
3. Are you sure you're not high given the weirdness of the thread!? :P
This.

Paracetamol is a general sales drug, Codeine/P drugs are OTC at small doses in the UK - other forms prescription only.

Personally I'm still astounded by any legal system where possession can be negated if you can name the previous owner. Maybe that's the 1/10 of the law everyone doesn't talk about.
Old Dec 3, 2017, 5:48 am
Suspended

Programs: SQ, BA CCR GGL
I was going to post reply no. 1 on this thread but thought that such a ridiculous post would just wither away.Well done OP. Job done.
Old Dec 3, 2017, 6:08 am

Originally Posted by IAMORGAN
This thread is just weird on so many levels - some random thoughts:-

1. Was it codeine or paracetamol? In the UK I am pretty sure codeine is prescription only?
Boots sell tablets with both codeine and paracetamol in, so you don't need a prescription.

Paracetamol is over the counter and legal pretty much everywhere as far as I know (i am pretty sure you can buy it over the counter in the UAE though the ME is one region I make a habit of NOT taking ANY medication to).
You may be able to buy them in the country, but taking any drugs into them is illegal.
Old Dec 3, 2017, 6:31 am
Original Poster

Duplicate

Last edited by macabus; Dec 3, 2017 at 9:07 am
Old Dec 3, 2017, 6:32 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
Thread translation:

1) FA tried to find tactful way of suggesting to passenger that drinking was becoming excessive
2) Passenger took offence and decided to use online forum to vent annoyance.

Sometimes it's best not to overthink these things. Gives you a headache if you don't watch it.
IAMORGAN and ExpatExp like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.