Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Advice for 1st time Tier Point run LHR to USA

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2, 2017, 7:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA

Hi All and thanks for your thoughts on this:

I'm currently holding a Silver BA card with around 700 points for the YTD (ends OCT 2018). I have an opportunity in Jan '18 to do a points run to the USA.

My itinerary takes me to anything on the East Coast (Washington, NYC, Boston) for 2 nights, then onto San Antonio, Texas for 4 nights, and then Boston, MA for 4 nights before returning to London.
I can buy business class J, and want to maximise the Tier points earned in order to reach Gold by the end of the trip.

My dates are Jan 15th for the first outbound flight. I've used ITA Matrix to scope out what is possible, but am concerned as a first time user that I maybe miss a trick with scoping bargain fares and the best routes in the USA - using AA.

Any pointers and guidance on routing would be very welcome

warm regards

G
Old Dec 2, 2017, 7:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Welcome to FT, COHGARY!
Originally Posted by COHGARY
I can buy business class J, and want to maximise the Tier points earned in order to reach Gold by the end of the trip.
The best first place to look is always the main thread on these: BA Tier Point Runs | 2017 master thread.
Old Dec 2, 2017, 9:32 am

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
As Globaliser points out, it is worth reading the dedicated thread. The one most useful rule is probably to try to get 2,000+ mile segments in there!
COHGARY likes this.
Old Dec 2, 2017, 9:49 am
Original Poster

Thanks MadPhil
Old Dec 2, 2017, 9:54 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

And let me warmly welcome you to Flyertalk and the BA Board COHGARY. A better place to find out about TP's etc I can't really think of and there are many helpful people here that's for sure.

As has been pointed out the TP Run thread and also over on the QR forum there can be good deals. BA Holidays sometime offer good Club Europe (and Hotel) prices too, even when there is no 'official' sale on and they can be very worthwhile using places such as Helsinki and Malta amongst others which get you the 80 TP's each way. You've certainly got ages to get there and I hope you find a route that maximises TP's.

Happy postings!
COHGARY likes this.
Old Dec 2, 2017, 9:55 am

Programs: BA Gold
@COHGARY. As mentioned by MADPhil, when travelling from east coast to San Antonio consider a routing via say Phoenix. The north east to Phoenix will be 140TP, rather than the typical 40TP per segment were you to do say Chicago and San Antonio. Some fares have rules about distance that exclude the more roundabout routings, but not all.
COHGARY likes this.
Old Dec 2, 2017, 10:16 am
Original Poster

Got it. PHX is over the 2k min. Very cool. Thanks
Old Dec 2, 2017, 10:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Got it. PHX is over the 2k min. Very cool. Thanks
But not from everywhere! PHL yes, CLT no ... a mistake I made once!

Have you considered LHR-DUB, then DUB-PHL-PHX-SAT with AA? That said, I was looking at that routing earlier this year, and the add-on for the last PHX-SAT leg was ridiculous. If we had decided to go that way, we would have booked the last leg separately ... the price difference was strangely in the thousands (each) for an $800 r/t leg!
EuropeanPete likes this.
Old Dec 2, 2017, 10:31 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
If you have the time, and can get it past your company (I'm guessing this is a work trip?), try and throw HEL into the mix which gives 160TP for a return in J.
Old Dec 9, 2017, 7:47 am
Original Poster

Booking the flights Post ITA Matrix

Once you have sorted your routing out using ITA Matrix - any recommendations for a good Travel Agent who understands this stuff and can just do the booking, or do you typically ring the airline and try and book it yourself?
Old Dec 9, 2017, 7:51 am

Once you have sorted your routing out using ITA Matrix - any recommendations for a good Travel Agent who understands this stuff and can just do the booking, or do you typically ring the airline and try and book it yourself?
If you want to book with BA call them, very helpful in my experience. If you want to book with AA then you can use the tools that work with Matrix, covered in the TP Run thread.
Old Dec 10, 2017, 12:45 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dougzz
If you want to book with BA call them, very helpful in my experience. If you want to book with AA then you can use the tools that work with Matrix, covered in the TP Run thread.
Thanks Dougzz. I found that the US AA site would not accept a UK based Credit Card when booking. So I tried the AA UK site - where the pricing was 30% more expensive.
Old Dec 10, 2017, 2:08 am

Programs: BA Silver; IHG Spire; Avis P+; Global Entry
Thanks Dougzz. I found that the US AA site would not accept a UK based Credit Card when booking. So I tried the AA UK site - where the pricing was 30% more expensive.
i has he same issue with my wedding flights on the us as site, as I was using Amex I put in my uk address details in the text and for the zip code I entered 00000 and it worked
COHGARY likes this.
Old Dec 10, 2017, 2:11 am

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
If the zip code trick mentioned above doesn't work, a Priceline booking created using the BookWithMatrix extension for Chrome would have kept the US point of sale.
Old Dec 10, 2017, 2:48 am

Matrix is brilliant, booking what it'll find not always so straight forward. I honestly can't recommend the TP run thread enough, it's full of lots of helpful advice, and if you make some effort yourself and explain what didn't work really helpful people. This one,
BA Tier Point Runs | 2017 master thread
I believe the general view is wherever possible book with the airline, travel agents introduce other layers and unnecessary complication.
I've found the German AA site to be the most effective when using the Matrix tools. Phoning BA is honestly a really good choice in my limited experience. They priced something at over double what Matrix did for me recently, agent made a lot of effort, discovered the problematic leg, repriced on another flight and exactly matched the bargain Matrix price. Another consideration when choosing between AA and BA for booking/flying is EU261, but that needs a much fuller explanation and it's all here many times over to be found with a bit of effort.
COHGARY likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.