Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Daily Telegraph carrier ratings

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7, 2017, 3:48 am

Programs: BAEC: Silver. Nothing else as TopCashBack trumps all hotel programs
Originally Posted by rossmacd
Have you flown AA TATL recently? Far better J hard product than BA.
I haven't, I've heard they have improved. I can't forgive the flight on an outrageously old 757 i had from Philly to Glasgow last year. It was agonisingly bad.
Old Dec 7, 2017, 3:50 am

Originally Posted by cupsandsaucers
OK

Qatar
Singapore
ANA
Emirates
Cathay Pacific
EVA Air
Lufthansa
Etihad Airways
Garuda Indonesia
Virgin Atlantic
Swiss
Qantas
Japan Airlines
Austrian
Air France
Air New Zealand
KLM
Hong Kong Airlines
Finnair
Cathay Dragon
Norwegian
Air Canada
Malaysian
Delta (nowadays)
Alaska Airlines
Aer Lingus (on par)
Iberia
South African
Oman Air
Royal Brunei
I would also add Hawaiian
LATAM
Turkish
Silk Air
American (as rossmacd points out)
United Polaris
Old Dec 7, 2017, 3:50 am

I haven't, I've heard they have improved. I can't forgive the flight on an outrageously old 757 i had from Philly to Glasgow last year. It was agonisingly bad.
Granted the 757s are very poor (which I would take another carrier over this product) but the 772/77Ws are excellent, so I would not put AA below BA in your rankings.
cupsandsaucers likes this.
Old Dec 7, 2017, 4:21 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Maybe this is why The Telegraph has been relegated to the bin by BA Management. I rather think that BoB is coming home to roost as I imagine that most voters travel in Europe and in ET. I hope that BA Management take this to heart.

As for lists of better airlines I thought when I read it that some of the 30 have aimed at excellence and achieved it, and some, Iberia being one, that frankly were laughable.

This diverges from the point that the readers of a newspaper aimed at a relatively well-britched market has reacted to the nonsense and voted them out. They need to analyse why, and were they to call me, I'd tell them and I would not mince my words.
rockflyertalk likes this.
Old Dec 7, 2017, 4:26 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Well, the Telegraph rating of 13th is at least rather better than BA’s 2017 Skytrax World Airline Awards position of 40th - although the latter is of course based on a global (and, I would assume, much larger) collection of participating voters within the travelling public.

Amongst those Skytrax voters is perhaps the Telegraph’s guest travel writer Mariella Frostrup, who seemed far from happy after her own recent holiday flights with BA to Jamaica, on which she says “the entertainment system was familiar from the Eighties and the food was inedible”.

She does, however, end her nostalgic look back to better times at BA with a note of optimism, and the hope that recently-announced investment will eventually see a return to better standards.

I certainly don’t concur with all that she says, but it’s an interesting piece :

Why the UK needs British Airways now more than ever
Old Dec 7, 2017, 4:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by subject2load
... BA’s 2017 Skytrax World Airline Awards position of 40th - although the latter is of course based on a global (and, I would assume, much larger) collection of participating voters within the travelling public.
Isn't that an unduly kind description of Skytrax's methodology?
NickB and LTN Phobia like this.
Old Dec 7, 2017, 4:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
Originally Posted by bisonrav
I've not seen a thread on this piece from yesterday from the Daily Telegraph - apologies if I've missed it.
Swiss has taken the title of best short-haul airline in the 2017 Telegraph Travel Awards, based on the opinions of almost 90,000 readers, while Singapore Airlines has been named number one for long haul. Switzerland's flag carrier rose from 2nd place in 2016 to claim the top spot from British Airways. BA, which has endured a tough couple of years, slipped dramatically down the rankings to 13th overall. Icelandair came second ahead of Channel Island carrier Aurigny.

Revealed: the world's best airlines, according to you

It seems pretty significant for BA - the pennypinching does seem to be having consequences. It's a classic "Tesco" strategy, i.e. falling in the middle between premium and budget, with customer expectations set over a considerable period not being reached, and not being the cheapest, so differentiation becomes difficult. Whether that turns into fiscal consequences is anyone's guess, I suspect that'll manifest when BA need some actual top line growth and find it difficult to dislodge competitors.
This is presumably from after Aurigny launched BOB so they must be doing something right.
Old Dec 7, 2017, 4:36 am

Originally Posted by Globaliser
I’m really not sure what you mean.

No survey can be a perfect barometer.

Skytrax offer a clear explanation as to how the rankings are compiled. I guess you either believe their explanation or you don’t.
Old Dec 7, 2017, 4:42 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Originally Posted by Globaliser
Well, whatever it is, it sure beats ranking tables based on "stuff I read on the internet".
LTN Phobia and Tobias-UK like this.
Old Dec 7, 2017, 4:43 am

OK

Qatar
Singapore
ANA
Emirates
Cathay Pacific
EVA Air
Lufthansa
Etihad Airways
Garuda Indonesia
Virgin Atlantic
Swiss
Qantas
Japan Airlines
Austrian
Air France
Air New Zealand
KLM
Hong Kong Airlines
Finnair
Cathay Dragon
Norwegian
Air Canada
Malaysian
Delta (nowadays)
Alaska Airlines
Aer Lingus (on par)
Iberia
South African
Oman Air
Royal Brunei
Wow you are scraping the barrel to prove your point with some of those!
PUCCI GALORE and Tobias-UK like this.
Old Dec 7, 2017, 4:59 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by Flexible preferences
I believe that's what cruz does on a daily basis to remain efficient and competitive of course
choosethedrew likes this.
Old Dec 7, 2017, 5:29 am

Originally Posted by rockflyertalk
I believe that's what cruz does on a daily basis to remain efficient and competitive of course
Haha, the Devil Incarnate rears his ugly head on here again, the unfortunate recipient of all our bad projections
rockflyertalk likes this.
Old Dec 7, 2017, 5:37 am

Programs: Mucci des Ancients Matelots
Originally Posted by rossmacd
Granted the 757s are very poor (which I would take another carrier over this product) but the 772/77Ws are excellent, so I would not put AA below BA in your rankings.
Flown a couple of 772 and 77W with AA recently, very impressed each time.

Last month I'd add a new 737 between LAS and LAX. That plane put BA to shame with the modern cabin, the new screens with IFE, the wifi. Yes I know they're not the same market but Ms Gaxxy (not traditionally a fan of AA) was really impressed.

Free juice as well. Who'd have thought there'd be such a turn around from a few years back.
Old Dec 7, 2017, 5:39 am

Originally Posted by Flexible preferences
Really ....? And which would they be, I wonder ......

As ever, all a matter of personal opinion.

I have first-hand experience of 23 (along with many, many others not listed) from that particular selection, and of those 23, not once did I have occasion to say to myself omg ... what a pity I’m not on BA for this flight. And no way did I feel I was “scraping the barrel”. Not remotely.
Old Dec 7, 2017, 5:44 am

Programs: BAEC: Silver. Nothing else as TopCashBack trumps all hotel programs
Originally Posted by subject2load
and not once did I have occasion to say to myself omg ... what a pity I’m not on BA for this flight.
Exactly this. I've flown dozens of carriers in the last 5 years and only twice (American 757 and Ryanair) did I think. I would rather be on BA right now. That's simply not great for BA is it.
My last flight was a Lufthansa hop in "economy" to Frankfurt. And it was perfectly pleasant. I got fed on the flight for free and there were far less intrusive cabin announcements throughout the flight. Of course I preferred it to BA for the lack of BOB alone.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.