Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Newspapers: Telegraph and Mail to be removed

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2, 2017, 12:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hotels.com Gold

HfP reports that the Daily Telegraph will no longer be offered on board, at gates or in lounges with immediate effect.

From 23rd December the Daily/Sunday Mail will cease to be offered too.

http://www.headforpoints.com/2017/12...-haul-flights/

On a personal note I'm very glad to hear about the withdrawal of the hateful Mail.
Old Dec 2, 2017, 12:39 am

Programs: BA - Gold for Life, CCR & GGL; IC Spire Elite Ambassador; Diamond Hilton Honors; Hyatt Discoverist
No Daily Telegraphs in the CCR one evening late last month although it could just have been the time of day and they had all gone.

No more (allegedly) anti BA ‘Hate’ Mail!
Old Dec 2, 2017, 12:46 am

Programs: BA Blue, IC Spire Ambassador
One thing BA might like to consider is some kind of ejournals option via highlife connect when it is rolled out. Many hotels have pressreader or similar. I'm not expecting it for free in Y but still a nice additional service.

As for print media, I know they offer the FT but I've never seen a copy of The Guardian in a BA lounge...might be nice!

I had always assumed either BA got them for free or were paid to offer them.
Old Dec 2, 2017, 12:54 am

Programs: BAEC, AA, Emirates, Hilton, Hyatt, Taj Hotels
I won't miss the Mail but a pity about the Torygraph. Seems like an odd choice of papers to cut as these are papers largely read by' Middle England' - the types you might expect to fly BA. What do I know. Mind you, the way BA is going down the LCC route I wouldn't be surprised if all they offer soon will be the Sun plus all the freebies like 'China Today' and 'Yachting in Kazakhstan'. Do people really read this stuff?
thijsseh likes this.
Old Dec 2, 2017, 1:00 am

Programs: BA Gold
The newspapers are supplied free of charge, or heavily discounted, and are known in the trade as bulks, one of the original functions of the arrangements being to boost the ABC (circulation) figures upon which the advertising rates rest. I assume the dwindling demand for paid print editions and publishers’ need to cut costs lies behind this decision. I think, too, that all Mail content is available free online (as is the Grauniad, who got rid of their bulks some years ago) but not sure about the Telegraph, that might be paid.

I personally prefer to read a ‘proper’ paper so even though both titles were a little trenchent for my tastes it’s nice to have the option. What are we left with? Times, FT?
Old Dec 2, 2017, 1:09 am

Maybe BA was unhappy at falling from 1 to 13 in the Torygraph Travel Awards published yesterday.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/ne...el-awards/amp/
LCSinTexas likes this.
Old Dec 2, 2017, 1:20 am

Originally Posted by simons1
Maybe BA was unhappy at falling from 1 to 13 in the Torygraph Travel Awards published yesterday.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/ne...el-awards/amp/
Indeed, and the Mail has hardly been friendly to BA of late.

I agree with others, shame about the Telegraph, good riddance to the Mail.
lostinlondon likes this.
Old Dec 2, 2017, 1:39 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by BA235

I personally prefer to read a ‘proper’ paper so even though both titles were a little trenchent for my tastes it’s nice to have the option. What are we left with? Times, FT?
Pretty much the full range if you go to WH Smith.
alexwuk and London_traveller like this.
Old Dec 2, 2017, 1:57 am
Suspended

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by IAMORGAN
As for print media, I know they offer the FT but I've never seen a copy of The Guardian in a BA lounge...might be nice!
I had always assumed either BA got them for free or were paid to offer them.
Exactly... the Guardian refuses to offer 'free' copies, therefore you don't see them in BA lounges!

Originally Posted by Flexible preferences
Indeed, and the Mail has hardly been friendly to BA of late.
I agree with others, shame about the Telegraph, good riddance to the Mail.
Seconded. I met a crew member last week who said there had been a fairly high-profile internal campaign to ban the DM... I'd like to say they won, but more likely just that the contract ended and the DM didn't offer such a cheap price! Either way it is a victory for the moral high ground and I for one am happy
LochAwe and Finavia like this.
Old Dec 2, 2017, 2:03 am

Originally Posted by Betteronacamel
Mind you, the way BA is going down the LCC route I wouldn't be surprised if all they offer soon will be............and 'Yachting in Kazakhstan'. Do people really read this stuff?
Kazakhstan has the Caspian Sea and you will find yachts and marinas there. There is a marina in Aktau that I have visited. Kazakhstan also has some large lakes that might also have an active yachting community but I can’t provide any first hand experience there.

So, some of BA’s customers are really interested in Yachting in Kazakhstan! I have never seen this magazine in a BA lounge but next time I visit I'll have a really close look for it.
Old Dec 2, 2017, 2:08 am

Good riddance to the Mail. A hate-filled excuse of a paper peddling misinformation and division.

I somehow doubt BA's doing it for that reason though. Maybe they (and the Telegraph) are cutting back their 'free' circulation of printed papers?
bafan, LochAwe and Finavia like this.
Old Dec 2, 2017, 2:13 am

Any publications I have a dislike to, I just don't pick them up rather than moan about their content on an internet forum.
Old Dec 2, 2017, 2:25 am

Programs: BA GGL; Lifetime Gold
Judging by the number of links in FT to Mail stories, regardless of the protestations, it would seem there are a number of Mail readers here who will be impacted by this decision.
Old Dec 2, 2017, 2:30 am

Programs: VS FC Gold, BA EC Gold, Amex Centurion, EK Gold, ex-G-ATVK driver
We all have a choice whether to read a given newspaper or not, and if it’s not to our own personal taste, it will be to somebody else. While personally I take what the Mail says with a shovel of salt, along with a good deal of other media, I am a free speech advocate and would not want newspapers to be arbitrarily banned by some self important thought-police, such as at some universities’ student unions, some where they supposedly train journalists.

On this occasion, this has everything to do with some lacklustre figures disclosed this week by the Mail. Despite those figures, it remains the second largest circulation newspaper in the UK.

The Sun, the largest circulation UK newspaper, has been persona non grata in airline lounges as long as I can remember: I can’t imagine why that would be ;-) Despite my free speech advocacy, I totally accept it’s simply not appropriate in an airline lounge with plenty of international travellers with vastly different values.

I do pick up the Mail frequently at airports (when it’s free), although my daily read is the Times in electronic format. I also read the Grauniad, Torygraph and Indy online pretty much daily: I like to see multiple viewpoints, including those I’m unlikely to agree with. The Mail, though, is for entertainment.
Old Dec 2, 2017, 2:36 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
The Mail just caters to its demographic really, I personally don't like it, but then again I don't find any significant difference in accuracy or tone to the Guardian, just that in the Guardian the "fact" that we're heading to hell in a handcart is the fault of different groups to which the Mail ascribes the same thing. In essence it just reflects different aspects of middle class beliefs. The sports sections of both papers is excellent mind you.

But to veer wildly back on topic, I love the idea of access to journals via the app on day of travel. Could see that being a useful commercial tie in too. It's a real PITA to have a newspaper in the cabin, particularly in economy. I don't think there's anything sinister behind the removal, beyond the removal of bulk distribution deals.
FlyerTalker688786 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.