Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Newspapers: Telegraph and Mail to be removed

Newspapers: Telegraph and Mail to be removed

Old Dec 2, 2017, 12:55 pm

Originally Posted by stevie
Well Alan we know where you fall on the political divide
you might be surprised lol
Old Dec 2, 2017, 1:03 pm

Any idea when we can get The National in lounges? I love reading a load of s*** before a flight and I think The National is probably second best after the DM.
BlueThroughCrimp likes this.
Old Dec 2, 2017, 1:48 pm
Suspended

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by Howard Long
The Sun, the largest circulation UK newspaper, has been persona non grata in airline lounges as long as I can remember: I cant imagine why that would be ;-) Despite my free speech advocacy, I totally accept its simply not appropriate in an airline lounge with plenty of international travellers with vastly different values.
... except in the BA lounge at Gatwick South, where it is found in abundance. Make of that what you will :P
Howard Long likes this.
Old Dec 2, 2017, 2:13 pm

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
OMNI warning, ladies and gentlemen.

You might be risking the thread being sent to FlyerTalk Coventry called OMNI.

LTN Phobia
Moderator: BA forum
CVT? No OW airlines fly there. No TPs!!!

Last edited by Worcester; Dec 3, 2017 at 12:39 am
Old Dec 2, 2017, 2:14 pm

Programs: BA Silver
I'll miss not having the Telegraph available, so that part is a huge negative for me.
Old Dec 2, 2017, 3:19 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hyatt Gold
Originally Posted by TheOldMan
I will certainly miss the Daily Telegraph cryptic crossword puzzle.
You can obtain access to all their puzzles for about 30 p.a.. I just print a few out before flying/Tubing. An excellent Christmas gift.
Old Dec 3, 2017, 12:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

One of the many benefits of LH over BA is that LH offer Press Reader. I think the number of available downloads depends on class of travel but its at least 3 and it works a few days before and after a flight. Even when flying from some provincial airport I have the Speccie, DT, Economist etc on my iDevice at 6AM.

It's very amusing BA won't even send newspapers to outstations anymore, and I can read the likes of the Spectator. I recall it was very difficult to get this magazine in the CCR, they only had a few among all the crap unless one has a penchant for Invest in Africa or Hot Tub Monthly.

In the SEN lounges they Newsweek and Time on request from the lounge staff.

It's very amusing that as the UK flag carrier I can read more British publications on Lufthansa flights than BA including their home LHR. How premium.
Old Dec 3, 2017, 1:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by passy777
Any publications I have a dislike to, I just don't pick them up rather than moan about their content on an internet forum.
An answer frequently made here to those of us who dislike the dm but which oversimplifies the fact that from many out stations the dm was in fact the only paper ba used to offer. There is a difference between ‘ we offer 10, why don’t you just read what you like and leave the rest’ and ‘it’s the dm or nothing, if you don’t like it just leave it’ with the implicit suggestion that people do not really have a legitimate right to comment that they’d prefer their unique option to be a different one.
NickB likes this.

Last edited by orbitmic; Dec 3, 2017 at 1:23 pm
Old Dec 3, 2017, 3:22 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
Originally Posted by Raffles
The Guardian is changing format soon to a Times clone so that may become a more suitable piece of on-plane reading.
I doubt they will soon change their policy of not giving their paper away for (nearly) free, so I expect you'll still have to buy your airline-sized Grauniad rather than have BA give it to you.

The Guardian made a policy decision a year or two back not to do cheap bulk sales and I don't anticipate that changing soon.
Old Dec 3, 2017, 3:32 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by TheOldMan
I will certainly miss the Daily Telegraph cryptic crossword puzzle.
i subscribe to the T on line and have the cryptic crossword. I have found that I have to download and print. The IPad doesnt let you make notes or scribbles to do anagrams or anything else. As for the Daily Mail, I refer to a speck given by Cecil King

My Grandfather established The Daily Mail for those who could not think, and the Daily Mirror for those who could not read

says it all really.
Old Dec 3, 2017, 3:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Transpacificflyer
Shame about the Daily Mail, but easily addressed as the DM has one of the best websites of any print media. As an avid reader of the paper using the DM's mobile app I can still access it. It is a mistake on the airline's part and puts it in the same league as the military dictatorships which ban the paper. I take the paper's content with a grain of salt and use it to gain an indication of the mood of the people. Yes, some of the articles can be infuriating, but worse are newspapers like the Guardian with its blatant bias.
Interesting perspective, as if the DM or the Telegraph were not "blatantly biased", to use the same phrase.
orbitmic and simonrp84 like this.
Old Dec 3, 2017, 4:33 am
Suspended

NickB, I presumed that he was being sarcastic. No-one can be that deluded, surely.

Also, on the subject of "if you don't like it, leave it": What about those who are from other countries and aren't aware of what the Daily Mail is? A few times i've sat next to a foreigner who has picked up their free copy of the DM and have felt rather embarrassed that this is their insight into British media.
NickB likes this.

Last edited by simonrp84; Dec 3, 2017 at 4:43 am
Old Dec 3, 2017, 10:51 am

Programs: Mucci Platinum Hairbrush des Bonnes Nouvelles. BA LTG, Bonvoy LTP, AA LTS, KL LTPt, Easy Flight Club
Very happy to see the back of the DM too and can't say I'll miss the T either aside from "Alex". Sufficiently pleased with the news in fact that I'm logging in and posting just to say so :-)
Old Dec 3, 2017, 1:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by Transpacificflyer
It is a mistake on the airline's part and puts it in the same league as the military dictatorships which ban the paper.
I think you are too generous with BA: are you sure you did not mean "on par with Satan" or with Auric Goldfinger? "No Mister Daily Mail, I expect you to die ahahahahah!!!"
Old Dec 3, 2017, 1:36 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
I used to take the Telegraph from the lounge, and challenged myself to complete the crossword, sudoku and word -thing I can't remember it's name- between LHR and EDI. Usually managed more due to delays than my skill :<)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.