GLA - TXL CE trip report

Old Nov 30, 17, 3:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC, IHG (Plat)
GLA - TXL CE trip report

Thought Id share a quick trip report, and give the findings of an infrequent flier. I have no status (Blue) and most of my Avios comes from Amex, Tesco and FlyBe !

Mrs Chris1922Mk2 and I recently took a trip to Berlin for the Christmas markets, and flew GLA LHR TXL in CE using a reward flight saver.

Check-in (bag drop really) at GLA on a Sunday morning was very quick and easy, and we were told to use fast track security, but in reality both queues had less than six people in them ! Flying from the regions sometimes has its benefits
The lounge was a wee bit busier, with maybe 40-50 people inside, all of whom were on our flight. I think they all had priority boarding too, as there was no discernible difference in the size of the queues once at the gate.
Anyway, on board I knew what to expect, and had 5A and C, which meant whilst the service was friendly and efficient, I wasnt given a choice of my brunch, and the Mrs requires a GF special meal in any case. So she was given a caprese salad which I believe doubles as the vegetarian meal too. She said it was very good. So, no real issues on board, and I enjoyed the wee bit of extra room, and the champagne breakfast we had.

In LHR, believe it or not, Id never actually been in Galleries north or south before, only the CCR ! We used the north lounge first, and it was fairly busy, but we sat in the outside terrace which was much quieter and cooler. I did note some of the furniture was pretty worn out. More champagne was requested and delivered, and the hot food for lunch was out, my wife was delighted to find much of it gluten free. Before we knew it we were boarding for TXL, and had managed to grab 1A and C. This flight had a great crew, pleasant, friendly and chatty and we both thoroughly enjoyed this leg, although my wifes meal was the same caprese salad. CE was lightly loaded, so the crew managed a drinks run before and after meal service, and further drinks were offered several times. I think this was my first time being first off of an aircraft !

So, the return. As many on here know, TXL has a strange arrangement of check-in and security being immediately at the gate, and we had arrived quite late for the flight which meant we were pretty much straight through and on the plane. Priority boarding was enforced, with one chancer being told off and scolded for not being CE ! On board there was a slight confrontation with one CE pax complaining there was no cloakroom for his jacket, and the crew being quite curt with him I thought. Not very professional. Sat in 6A and C, I was the last pax to be given a choice of meal, and the missus was given, yes, youve guessed it, a caprese salad. The other crew member was much more pleasant and the flight passed without further incident. I did note 6D was a bit miffed at not having a choice of meal and actually wanted the same as my wife.

Back in LHR, we checked out galleries south, which was smaller and quieter, but later moved back up the north as our GLA flight left from gate A7. The flight back to GLA was absolutely rammed, with overhead bags being dotted around the cabin, even in in CE, to fit them all in. The crew was really good on this leg too, and again I missed out on my choice of meal sat in 7A. But guess what my wife had ?! Yup, caprese salad. AGAIN ! And again 7D enquired as to what she had !

All in all, it was a very pleasant experience, and its not all doom and gloom as often portrayed on here. Im not a regular BA flyer, twice a year maybe, and this was my first experience of CE. I found it quite pleasant, but if Id paid all in cash or had left direct from LHR, it might not have been as good. Especially if I already had status for lounge access, and picking seats in advance, such as an ET exit row.

The only minor issues were not always getting my choice of meal, and the lack of variety in my wifes offering. Other than that, it was a pretty good experience all round. Oh, and all flights were bang on time, or early.

Thanks for reading.
Old Nov 30, 17, 4:00 am

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
Great review. For the most I enjoy Club Europe though I will only pay so much more for it. Glad that your wife’s needs were met on the catering fron in the lounge and air as that is one of the biggest grumbles it seems
chris1922Mk2 likes this.
Old Nov 30, 17, 6:08 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador, Starbucks Gold,
Nice trip report. Have only flown through TXL once but remember the funny security / passport at gate thing!

Originally Posted by chris1922Mk2 View Post
Back in LHR, we checked out galleries south, which was smaller and quieter
I though that South was way bigger than North Galleries - am I missing a section of it?!
Old Nov 30, 17, 6:28 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MrMutton View Post
Nice trip report. Have only flown through TXL once but remember the funny security / passport at gate thing!

I though that South was way bigger than North Galleries - am I missing a section of it?!
Perhaps I missed a section of the North ! It was my first time in either..........
Old Nov 30, 17, 10:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC/IB
Nice to see another infrequent flying Blue posting on the forum.

I have not had many flights in CE but those that I've had have been good experiences. I value the lounge access the most as well as the extra baggage allowance. The CE food service isn't that important to me although I did like the Afternoon Tea service. Not sure if that's available any more though.
Old Nov 30, 17, 10:31 am

Good TR. Nice to see your wife had 100% success rate on caprese salad. Good stuff.
chris1922Mk2 likes this.
Old Nov 30, 17, 12:20 pm

Programs: BAEC Bronze
Originally Posted by chris1922Mk2 View Post
our GLA flight left from gate A7. The flight back to GLA was absolutely rammed, with overhead bags being dotted around the cabin, even in in CE, to fit them all in.
This wasn’t on Sunday evening by any chance?
Old Nov 30, 17, 2:32 pm

Programs: BA - Bronze : HHonnors Gold : Hyatt Gold
Thank you for that interesting trip report, although it makes me feel very selfish for never doing a report of my own, especially after receiving great advice on here over the years resulting in all my flights in recent years being in J and F

My wife is also gluten free and finds the meals she receives in CE GLA-LHR and also to North America from LHR are excellent, just like eating a gluten free meal in a restaurant at home. However the gluten free meals on the flights to LHR from the USA and Canada are shockingly poor as well as bland - and that is in F

The cabin crew always apologize in advance (although obviously not their fault), complaint is made to BA, she gets extra Avios, but all she wants is a decent meal.
The g/f meals prepared in the UK these days are great but surely BA must have a say on what type of g/f meals are prepared overseas!
Old Nov 30, 17, 3:50 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Thanks for sharing this, chris1922mk2.

Galleries North feels to me larger than Galleries South but it really is true that S is the bigger lounge. I usually tend to use N "outside" terrace too, as it seems more relaxed than S and avoids passing the CCR entrance that I know I am not allowed into on 95% of my flights.

TXL is a particularly odd airport - imagine my disappointment at proceeding through security and passport control, only to find the lounge was behind me and I had >1hr in an area that was on a par with an LCY gate. On the plus side, I now ask for directions to the lounge at check-in at unfamiliar airports so some good has come of it. And TXL is a breeze on arrival especially if you're in CE.
Old Nov 30, 17, 4:31 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by BobServant View Post
On the plus side, I now ask for directions to the lounge at check-in at unfamiliar airports so some good has come of it. And TXL is a breeze on arrival especially if you're in CE.
The forum's Dashboard has a fairly comprehensive guide to lounges and their locations, so it's worth looking there since in some cases check-in agents themselves are unaware of the options / locations. Also MMB has improved its lounge information and that section is now easier to reach via the BA App too.
Blenheim and BobServant like this.
Old Dec 1, 17, 1:57 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Rufin View Post
This wasnt on Sunday evening by any chance?
No, we left GLA on Sunday and returned on Wednesday.
Old Dec 1, 17, 2:27 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Gorcat View Post
Thank you for that interesting trip report, although it makes me feel very selfish for never doing a report of my own, especially after receiving great advice on here over the years resulting in all my flights in recent years being in J and F

My wife is also gluten free and finds the meals she receives in CE GLA-LHR and also to North America from LHR are excellent, just like eating a gluten free meal in a restaurant at home. However the gluten free meals on the flights to LHR from the USA and Canada are shockingly poor as well as bland - and that is in F

The cabin crew always apologize in advance (although obviously not their fault), complaint is made to BA, she gets extra Avios, but all she wants is a decent meal.
The g/f meals prepared in the UK these days are great but surely BA must have a say on what type of g/f meals are prepared overseas!
I'm usually a lurker, but have also benefited greatly from this forum, so thought I would share my experience, especially as it was a good one.
My wife has been disappointed with her meals in the past, Thai in J was especially poor a few years ago, and normally she just gets an "economy" SPML served nicely in J or F. Our last trip was BA F to Boston, and thanks to this forum, YouFirst and being able to pre-select meals, she was able to pre-order a regular F meal that just happened to be gluten free. Also, on board, the crew can provide a "chefs chat" sheet, which lists the allergens in amuse bouche, starers and deserts, not just the main course. I've written a trip report on that too, and have contributed to a few gluten free discussions on here. I guess if search for my posts you'll find them.
Old Dec 1, 17, 2:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by BobServant View Post
TXL is a particularly odd airport - imagine my disappointment at proceeding through security and passport control, only to find the lounge was behind me and I had >1hr in an area that was on a par with an LCY gate.
I suspect many of us have done that by mistake! But it's a mistake that you only make once, and TXL's many advantages meant that it was soon forgiven by me.