Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

IAG to close Open Skies & establish Level base at ORY

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28, 2017, 3:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: Latinpass Million Miler. BA Gold.

It is being reported that IAG is to close Open Skies in Paris, and start a new Level hub in Paris Orly. Staff will transfer from Open Skies to Level
Old Nov 28, 2017, 3:13 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, SK Gold, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, Radisson VIP
One of a couple of articles:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...-airline-level

"We believe long-haul, low-cost routes can be profitable," Walsh said. Level will progressively replace the ‘Open Skies’ brand and operate out of Paris’s Orly airport.
Old Nov 28, 2017, 3:13 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Avis Chairman, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, GA Pilot
Isn't open skies focused on business travelers and Level on economy travelers?
Calchas likes this.
Old Nov 28, 2017, 3:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: Latinpass Million Miler. BA Gold.
And the IAG press release: http://www.iairgroup.com/phoenix.zht...cle&ID=2318756
Old Nov 28, 2017, 3:18 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, SK Gold, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, Radisson VIP
See also this thread:

IAG's CEO in Paris! LEVEL rumours
Old Nov 28, 2017, 4:04 am

Originally Posted by BlackBerryAddict
It is being reported that IAG is to close Open Skies in Paris, and start a new Level hub in Paris Orly. Staff will transfer from Open Skies to Level
Seems logical given the lack of investment in Open Skies and their 757 and 767s.
Old Nov 28, 2017, 4:32 am

Programs: too many
but for transfers, this leaves only LCY if flying to London from ORY...surely the potential for connections Level-BA would be greater if BA was to reinstate flights from LHR to ORY?
Old Nov 28, 2017, 4:37 am

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
I did wonder about this when I say the Level - Paris announcement.

I wonder if they will carry on using JFK or will opt for a cheaper airport and if so BA can use those slots for more London flights given the plan to retire the 747s and the reduction in seats?
Old Nov 28, 2017, 4:37 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by ng1265
but for transfers, this leaves only LCY if flying to London from ORY...surely the potential for connections Level-BA would be greater if BA was to reinstate flights from LHR to ORY?
Are Level flights covered by through fares anyway when connecting from BA flights to BCN? If not then I can't imagine the lack of BA flights to ORY from LHR is really an issue.
Old Nov 28, 2017, 4:42 am

With only 2 Level aircraft involved I'm not sure that the connecting traffic will really amount to very much?
Old Nov 28, 2017, 4:43 am

Programs: GGL/CCR
Originally Posted by Worcester
I did wonder about this when I say the Level - Paris announcement.

I wonder if they will carry on using JFK or will opt for a cheaper airport and if so BA can use those slots for more London flights given the plan to retire the 747s and the reduction in seats?
Looks like they have chosen EWR.

Other routes -

• Flights to Montreal start on July 2, 2018 and operate three times per week.
  • Flights to Guadeloupe start on July 3, 2018 and operate four times per week.
  • Flights to Martinique start on September 3, 2018 and operate three times per week.
  • Flights to New York (Newark) start on September 4, 2018 and operate four times per week.
Old Nov 28, 2017, 4:45 am

Programs: BA Gold
Shame - in the sense that I personally loved Openskies, with food and service often being superior to CW and negating the need for a connection.

That being said, I've been on a couple of flights where there's only been myself and a couple of others in paid J, with the rest of the cabin filled by invol upgrades, which can't be healthy on a peak Thursday evening.
Old Nov 28, 2017, 2:51 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
Level... very much not Oneworld and so a complete lack of alliance benefits for frequent travellers replaces Openskies, a Oneworld affiliate.

Would BA even do interline connections to Level at Orly? They flatly refuse to interline to Vueling, the other IAG very-low-cost carrier.

Not an improvement for any frequent traveller.
Old Nov 28, 2017, 3:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
the press release mentions connections on VY. That seems to be the intended pairing: low cost with low cost I think.
Old Nov 28, 2017, 3:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by JMurray
Shame - in the sense that I personally loved Openskies, with food and service often being superior to CW and negating the need for a connection.
Agreed. In particular W on openskies is infinitely superior to W on BA and actually enjoyable.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.