Wiki Posts
Search

Check-In More Than 24 Hours In Advance

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27, 2017, 12:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, SAS EB Gold
Check-In More Than 24 Hours In Advance

I checked-in for my flight with an actual human at LHR T5 today (which I only ever do when the BA App is broken… so pretty often) who checked me in not only for my outbound flight, but also for my return flight even though it was more than 24 hours away. I was curious as to how they were able to do this, given check-in is typically only possible from 24 hours in advance? Sufficiently curious indeed to give up months of lurking and finally create an account…
Old Nov 27, 2017, 12:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Originally Posted by Alate
I checked-in for my flight with an actual human at LHR T5 today (which I only ever do when the BA App is broken… so pretty often) who checked me in not only for my outbound flight, but also for my return flight even though it was more than 24 hours away. I was curious as to how they were able to do this, given check-in is typically only possible from 24 hours in advance? Sufficiently curious indeed to give up months of lurking and finally create an account…
Hi,
Welcome to flyertalk and the BA forum!

Is it a same day return?

If so you can check in for both flights from T -24 of the original flight

Regards

TBS
Old Nov 27, 2017, 12:39 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by The _Banking_Scot
Hi,
Welcome to flyertalk and the BA forum!

Is it a same day return?

If so you can check in for both flights from T -24 of the original flight

Regards

TBS
Thanks for the welcome and for the reply!

No, next day return, with the return leg departing just over 24 hours after the arrival of the outbound leg
Old Nov 27, 2017, 1:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
I was curious as to how they were able to do this, given check-in is typically only possible from 24 hours in advance?
Check-in is actually possible way before 24 hours before the departure time of the flight, although you usually cannot access it until 24 hours before you begin your travel. If you're only taking one flight, that's 24 hours in advance of the departure time of that flight. If you have two connecting flights, then you can often check in for both flights 24 hours before the departure time of the earlier flight. And, as The _Banking_Scot says, that can also be done if you return on the same day as your outbound flight. So something similar seems to have allowed check-in for your inbound flight in this case.
Old Nov 27, 2017, 2:13 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Thanks for the welcome and for the reply!

No, next day return, with the return leg departing just over 24 hours after the arrival of the outbound leg
I'll add my greetings to you Alate, welcome to Flyertalk and welcome to the BA forum. I hope we will see more of you here, and I'm glad you got some use from the former in your former lurker-life.

You would/should have got the same options on the BA.com website (but not the App): you can check in for all flights within 24 hours, and you can also check-in at the same time for the return so long as there is less than 24 hours in the location concerned and it's a simple out and back ticket. You do have the option of going down to the BA.com side via the App, if you use the Manage My Booking link on the More Details screen, so that allows you a somewhat mandrolic process to getting checked in before 24 hours is up on the App.

I use the App quite a lot, and apart from having to login due to lost credentials, it is otherwise working fine.
Old Nov 27, 2017, 5:43 pm
Original Poster

Thanks! I’ll try that on the website next time I am booked for a quick turnaround...
Old Nov 27, 2017, 10:17 pm

Programs: BAEC
A QR check in agent at BKK who was asked on Sunday to check our bags through from a QR BKK - DOH - AMS flight onto a BA AMS - LHR sector did so as per QR policy, but interestingly and without asking produced the boarding passes for the BA flight at around T-32 hours. We were SEQ007 and 008 for the BA sector, so not even the first check in.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.