Wiki Posts
Search

Upgrade with a child...

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27, 2017, 8:16 pm
Jed

Programs: BA Gold, AA 1MM lifetime gold, Starwood gold, Marriott Gold Elite
Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
Separating a family can cause problems at times. Some time ago on a BA flight one person from a couple with a lap infant got op-upped.

The baby had such a separation anxiety from her father that she screamed the whole CE cabin down (could probably be heard by at least half the aircraft), and as it was a longish flight for public service reasons I felt somewhat compelled to give up the empty middle seat (I happened to be seated next to the mother & infant) so that her father could come up from ET and sit next to the baby. So I approached the purser about it, and it was duly arranged.

I'd have offered to swap with her father but he was in my least favourite seat on the whole aircraft and as someone who's a bit claustrophobic I couldn't subject myself to it (esp when I paid about Ł600-700 one-way for CE).

At least the peace was restored when her father sat next to her so the issue was resolved, but it wasn't a good situation for anyone to be honest.
Was this pre-FLY? I speculate that since FLY, anyone with an infant in their booking can't get an operational UG (although POUGs are still offered)
Old Nov 27, 2017, 10:57 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by Jed
Was this pre-FLY? I speculate that since FLY, anyone with an infant in their booking can't get an operational UG (although POUGs are still offered)
It was indeed pre-FLY but also during a disruption.
Old Nov 28, 2017, 3:12 pm

I was going to ask a similar question actually, which I now wonder is the answer the reason for fewer child upgrades.

I was going to ask in this forum if selecting children’s meals for my children reduced the chances of an upgrade? I am sure it has been mentioned on the forum somewhere that if you chose a non-standard meal you are very unlikely to get bumped up because your meal choice will be for the class you have originally been booked into.

Does that make sense?
Old Nov 29, 2017, 12:36 am

Programs: BA Gold, EK Silver
Well, I feel special now because the one time I did get an upgrade, it was with my child! We were both silver at the time, moved from premium to club world. He is four years old- they called our names in the lounge and when we walked up, the agent had this look of horror on her face, because they didn't have the 2 middle seats together. But the kid is a pro, and was completely fine sitting across the aisle from me.

I always request a kids meal for him; the crew asked if I wanted his kids meal plated. I just asked for the pasta dish (the CW dinning option) since he would rather eat that than chicken nuggets.
Old Nov 29, 2017, 1:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by Jed
i think this is an important distinction that needs to be recognised - those tha got an op-up pre and post fly and the DUT system too. So it would be helpful if people said then they got one when with a child.

someone else mentioned lap children and that is even more complicated as there are only certain seats with the extra O2 masks.
Old Nov 29, 2017, 1:21 am

Programs: BAEC: Silver. Nothing else as TopCashBack trumps all hotel programs
I miss the good old days when you could blag an upgrade just by being charming enough at the check in desk.
Now it's just computer says no unless you are GGL (or maybe gold, but I am yet to get one on Gold).
Old Nov 29, 2017, 2:41 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by cupsandsaucers
I miss the good old days when you could blag an upgrade just by being charming enough at the check in desk.
Now it's just computer says no unless you are GGL (or maybe gold, but I am yet to get one on Gold).
Upgrades are definitely not restricted to golds or GGLs. There have been many observations on here about golds/GGLs not being upgraded whilst those with lower status get upgraded ahead. To make you feel better my only long haul opup was when I was a silver and booked in WTP in a LHR-YYZ flight. Other than that I have had maybe half a dozen opups over the last 5 years and all on short haul.
Old Nov 29, 2017, 2:47 am

I was wondering if the child aspect is a bit of a red herring. In the last five years as a GCH I can think of 2 upgrades. I read about people's experiences (and consequential expectations) of upgrades on here and am a bit bemused.

I know of at least two instances where a lower status person on a cheaper ticket was opupped ahead of me . No complaints there, just an observation.
Old Nov 29, 2017, 3:16 am

Programs: LH *G (SEN), VS Silver, BA Silver, Goldpointplus Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor silver, *ACP
Jan 2016, got 4 upgraded at the gate from WT to WT+ for 2 adults 2 children (11, 13) LAX-LHR. I was a relatively new silver, rest of family were blue. I assumed that since I was "new-ish" silver, computer was trying to entice me to stop buying WT tickets for holidays...
Old Nov 29, 2017, 3:22 am

Programs: BAEC: Silver. Nothing else as TopCashBack trumps all hotel programs
Originally Posted by KARFA
Upgrades are definitely not restricted to golds or GGLs. There have been many observations on here about golds/GGLs not being upgraded whilst those with lower status get upgraded ahead. To make you feel better my only long haul opup was when I was a silver and booked in WTP in a LHR-YYZ flight. Other than that I have had maybe half a dozen opups over the last 5 years and all on short haul.
Must just be me then. Probably because I always travel in Jeans and a hoodie now Too many years traveling in a suit and tie. I just don't bother now. Would rather change at the other end.
Old Nov 29, 2017, 3:28 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by cupsandsaucers
Must just be me then. Probably because I always travel in Jeans and a hoodie now Too many years traveling in a suit and tie. I just don't bother now. Would rather change at the other end.
Since I am a leisure traveler I always travel in jeans and casual clothes too. When BA are sorting upgrades they have no idea how you look, it isn't the check in staff doing it nowadays anyway.
Old Nov 29, 2017, 3:38 am

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
My upgrades as a GGL have tended to come on leisure heavy routes (presumably where there are no 'entice-able' Silvers for FLY to upgrade, so it defaults back to CIV). AUH-LHR and DXB-LHR a couple of times this year from J-F, for example.

With the kids, We've never been upgraded as a family of 4, but I've had a few ET-CE bumps with my eldest (currently 7) over the past couple of years.

All of these have been beeps at the gate. Since being Gold or GGL I've never had an upgrade at OLCI, physical check in, or in the lounge.
Old Nov 29, 2017, 5:26 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by stu002
I was going to ask a similar question actually, which I now wonder is the answer the reason for fewer child upgrades.
I suspect there is a rather more practical reason.

Since they aren't allowed to be seated on their own and needs to be seated in an adjacent seat to an adult in the same travelling party, upgrading them is a lot more work than 2 x solo travellers who can be scattered where-ever?

BA hopefully won't want to kick out those who have pre-assigned seats to upgrade those that need adjacent seats - annoying those who paid for the seats (whether through Avios or cash etc) to accommodate op-ups would be rather silly, and causes extra work as well.

Some seats also cannot have an infant in them because there is no extra oxygen mask either.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.