Wiki Posts
Search

IAG snaps up Monarch LGW landing slots

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29, 2017, 3:29 pm
Suspended

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by Sam Bee
That is interesting as they have Grandfathered slots - but don't they operate on behalf of BA Cargo?

I've *read* that the DHL Slots at LHR are owned by BA. And it makes sense so Cargo can be transferred onto the massive network BA have at LHR? If DHL are moving to LGW, would they not need a much bigger network at LGW - Cargo isn't just point to point?

And I presumed they used slots at periods that are not slot restrained - of which LHR has a few. Anyone know how many slots DHL have? Can't find the Summer 2018 list?
DHL's LHR operations are for and on behalf of BA, though they do 'buy back' some of the space for their own stuff. Yes some slots are 'donated' by BA, but actually the majority are flown using 'spare' capacity each evening. [you don't actually believe the "Heathrow is full" line do you?! It rarely actually is :P] Essentially DHL start by planning a flight (usually to LTN), then about mid-morning they call up HAL ops and say "got any slots?" If anything has been tactically cancelled that day, it's made available and they fly into LHR. If not, they fly into LTN, where there's a fleet of lorries waiting to bring pallets around the M25. I imagine they've decided that consolidating at LGW will be easier overall - after all, a few more trucks each night won't make a huge amount of difference overall. It may also have something to do with the fact that more European cargo flights will be needed next year, when the 767s sadly leave.
Old Nov 29, 2017, 4:44 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
Everything I have sent DHL from the UK to Canada leaves the UK via East Midlands airport, rather than LHR.
Old Jan 4, 2018, 8:47 pm

Programs: British Airways Silver, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, AMEX plat
With the announcement that BA is launching their biggest summer schedule in 10 years, are we any further forward in guessing where (apart from those noted in the opening post of the other thread - increases in frequency to Malaga, Faro, Alicante, Tenerife, Lanzarote, Madeira, and addition of Palma Menorca, Mahon Majorca and Gibraltar)?

Personally, I would hope for:

Short Haul
Casablanca and/or Tangier, Morocco
Belgrade, Serbia
Vilnius, Lithuania
Minsk, Belarus
Eilat, Israel
Re-introduction of Manchester, and maybe Aberdeen, if BA drop some JER rotations and introduce JER to Heathrow

Long Haul
Singapore (to compete with Norwegian) with a tag to Bali
Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
Havana, Cuba
Vancouver, Canada
Boston, USA (to compete with Norwegian)
Chicago, USA (to compete with Norwegian)
Dubai, UAE (move one of the Heathrow rotations to Gatwick to free up a Heathrow slot for Osaka or Panama City)
Old Jan 4, 2018, 11:40 pm

There is already a long speculation thread here.

ttps://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...ick-slots.html

However no need guess any more as BA announced the plans yesterday as you noted. How much capacity is there beyond the destinations you list?

ttps://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...l#post29248608
Old Jan 5, 2018, 1:07 am

Programs: BA, IHG, 5C
Originally Posted by simons1
How much capacity is there beyond the destinations you list?
They reportedly bought 155 slot pairs, and are adding 150 flights to those destinations, so basically none. However I suppose they are probably taking the easy option for SS18, including likely demand from tour operators who were expecting to be able to sell Monarch flights on those routes. Beyond SS18 with a bit more planning and sell-time they might get a bit more adventurous, hopefully.
Old Jan 5, 2018, 1:50 am

Originally Posted by pauldb
They reportedly bought 155 slot pairs, and are adding 150 flights to those destinations, so basically none.
Huh? The new routes/frequencies announced are only a fraction of the 150 per week. There are more to come.
Old Jan 5, 2018, 1:59 am

Programs: BA Exec Gold , Qatar Priviledge Club Plat
Titan on behalf of BA operating a second service to SVQ ( Seville ) this summer.
Old Jan 5, 2018, 2:06 am

Programs: BA, IHG, 5C
Originally Posted by Ldnn1
Huh? The new routes/frequencies announced are only a fraction of the 150 per week. There are more to come.
You're right - sorry. I read their headline to mean they were announcing 150 to those destinations, but it certainly doesn't add up.
Old Jan 5, 2018, 5:57 am

Programs: IB+, BAEC
Originally Posted by Ldnn1

155 slot pairs translates to about 20 per day
Old Jan 5, 2018, 7:44 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by AMBurns1512
With the announcement that BA is launching their biggest summer schedule in 10 years, are we any further forward in guessing where (apart from those noted in the opening post of the other thread - increases in frequency to Malaga, Faro, Alicante, Tenerife, Lanzarote, Madeira, and addition of Palma Menorca, Mahon Majorca and Gibraltar)?

Personally, I would hope for:

Long Haul
Singapore (to compete with Norwegian) with a tag to Bali
Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
Havana, Cuba
Vancouver, Canada
Boston, USA (to compete with Norwegian)
Chicago, USA (to compete with Norwegian)
Dubai, UAE (move one of the Heathrow rotations to Gatwick to free up a Heathrow slot for Osaka or Panama City)
The Singapore - Bali idea is interesting and I definitely agree with Havana. For Vancouver, I think a LGW flight would have too much of a detrimental effect on LHR loads/yields. As for Dubai, I wouldn't rule out LGW - DWC; keep LHR - DXB for higher yield and beat Norwegian to DWC at the other end of the market!
Old Jan 5, 2018, 8:51 am

Programs: British Airways Silver, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, AMEX plat
Originally Posted by TedToToe

The Singapore - Bali idea is interesting and I definitely agree with Havana. For Vancouver, I think a LGW flight would have too much of a detrimental effect on LHR loads/yields. As for Dubai, I wouldn't rule out LGW - DWC; keep LHR - DXB for higher yield and beat Norwegian to DWC at the other end of the market!
Hadn't thought about DWC - good shout!

Also, sorry everyone if I posted in the wrong thread. I searched and thought this was the right one - I'm blaming the flu I'm currently suffering with .

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.