Wiki Posts
Search

IAG snaps up Monarch LGW landing slots

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27, 2017, 2:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
Originally Posted by schrodingerdog
IB may still have some A340-300 around from the last batch that was retired a year ago, and has been recruiting pilots in the last months, so maybe a LEVEL operated by IB for some long distance routes is an option.
All gone, the last two sitting around in MAD flew to Teruel recently.
Old Nov 27, 2017, 2:51 pm

Programs: BA Executive Club
corporate-wage-slave. On some days in Summer departures were higher than 22, more like your 25 but less of course in Winter. I think Monarch based 10 aircraft at Gatwick during the summer each operating 2 to 3 departures a day (so 2 or 3 slot pairs).
With greater flexibility of scheduling as a result of these new slots BA could put together an impressive long medium and short haul schedule. I expect planning has been going on longer than we realise. I remember when Easyjet bought the Flybe slots BA was interested but said they had come about too early for their plans. With BA Gatwick now in much better shape and I believe profitable it is now time to put plans into action. However I expect other IAG airlines may get a look in. I am not convinced about Level turning up that quickly or at least substantially. The refurbished, densified and fully paid for BA 777s will allow them to compete more effectively with Norwegian. The BA brand is strong at Gatwick and certainly long haul lucrative. I doubt if they would wish to dilute that.
Old Nov 27, 2017, 3:41 pm
Suspended

Long haul LEVEL flights from LGW might be part of a long term strategy of shifting Economy capacity from Heathrow so that new LHR based aircraft can be configured with much higher J seating.
Old Nov 27, 2017, 4:06 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
Is there any reason the slots couldn't be used for cargo operations?
Old Nov 27, 2017, 4:25 pm

Programs: BA Exec Silver, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by Jagboi
Is there any reason the slots couldn't be used for cargo operations?
They can. Another interesting thing is dhl are moving their flights from LHR to LGW next year and they will need to obtain slots from somewhere.
Old Nov 27, 2017, 4:43 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver,clubcard,clubcard plus, BA Amex................ And Mucci x3 ;)
DHL and most other cargo operators tend to operate at night. LGW doesn’t have a slot issue overnight. I would guess BA could probably get slots and operate an extra 20 flights a night tomorrow if they wanted.

cs
Old Nov 27, 2017, 11:30 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, HH Diamond, Radisson VIP, IHG Diamond Elite
Originally Posted by email2markt
Ah, great to hear something finally swing in BA's favour (even if they did have to pay for the privilege).

I guess there's the possibility BA may move a few flights from LHR to LGW that sit more naturally at LGW?

It's come just at the right time, I have an increasingly long wish list for new BA destinations, PDL/TER, TAY, BNE, AKL, PVR, NAN.
TAY Tartu, Estonia?
Old Nov 28, 2017, 12:40 am

Programs: IB+, BAEC
Originally Posted by BA6501
All gone, the last two sitting around in MAD flew to Teruel recently.
How recently? I definitely saw one that looked like it was going for passenger duty on the ramp at T4S a couple weeks ago.
Old Nov 28, 2017, 12:41 am

Originally Posted by simons1
So lets say 155 slots a week is 76 departures a week. Or 11 a day. A short haul aircraft can do say 3 rotations in a day so it could be as little as 4 a/c.

Probably too simplistic as maybe the slots are bunched at certain times? Although Monarch was mainly SH as well.
In fact Monarch in the last few years of its operations was entirely short haul. Their longest flights would be to Red Sea resorts.
Old Nov 28, 2017, 3:42 am

Programs: Honors Diamond
Little bit more now being reported: https://news.sky.com/story/ba-owner-...twick-11147280

A spokesman for IAG said: "IAG can confirm that it is in the process of completing the acquisition of Monarch's slot portfolio at Gatwick.

"These slots will be used by the Group's airlines, primarily British Airways, enabling them to grow their presence at the airport and launch new destinations and add extra frequencies."

It is thought that IAG will use the slots to increase its presence in the long-haul budget market, in response to growing competition.
This suggests some slots will be used for non-BA IAG airlines.
Old Nov 28, 2017, 4:00 am

Programs: Many. Too many. I came here to cut them down. I failed.
Originally Posted by jordie
They can. Another interesting thing is dhl are moving their flights from LHR to LGW next year and they will need to obtain slots from somewhere.
That is interesting as they have Grandfathered slots - but don't they operate on behalf of BA Cargo?

60% of the UK’s air freight moves through Heathrow, primarily in the bellyhold of passenger aircraft, a significant proportion on flights at the start and end of the day. The revenue generated from this service helps support the viability of passenger routes, making travel cheaper for passengers and contributing to the connectivity of the airport.
I've *read* that the DHL Slots at LHR are owned by BA. And it makes sense so Cargo can be transferred onto the massive network BA have at LHR? If DHL are moving to LGW, would they not need a much bigger network at LGW - Cargo isn't just point to point?

And I presumed they used slots at periods that are not slot restrained - of which LHR has a few. Anyone know how many slots DHL have? Can't find the Summer 2018 list?
Old Nov 28, 2017, 5:16 am

Programs: BA Exec Club Bronze, Hilton Diamond, Virgin Flying Club Red
Really can't see how this is good for the consumer or competition out of London airports in general.
orbitmic likes this.
Old Nov 28, 2017, 5:43 am

Originally Posted by tigertanaka
Doubt it will happen but let's have the return of LGW domestics to MAN & NCL.
Originally Posted by Kestrel86
Really hope the economics have changed enough to make the reintroduction of MAN viable from LGW with some of these slots.
​​​​​​
Reintroduction of NCL-LGW would open up a lot more interesting SH+ 240TP-earning possibilities… we can hope! Realistically I think it's not likely though.
Old Nov 28, 2017, 5:46 am

Originally Posted by clarkeysntfc
Really can't see how this is good for the consumer or competition out of London airports in general.
I can see it from both sides really.

The reverse argument is that fares are at an all time low (in real terms) and driving airlines to the point where they go bust leaving people in the lurch also isn't good for consumers.
Old Nov 28, 2017, 5:50 am

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
Originally Posted by simons1
I can see it from both sides really.

The reverse argument is that fares are at an all time low (in real terms) and driving airlines to the point where they go bust leaving people in the lurch also isn't good for consumers.
But we don't want to get like the US where the fares are high the airlines are making very significant profits.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.