Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

15 tier points short of silver with 10 days left in the year

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27, 2017, 5:12 am
Original Poster

What can i do in this instance? Are there any cheapish day return flights that can get me to silver? New so apologies if this isnt the right place for this. Thanks
Old Nov 27, 2017, 5:18 am

Welcome to FT

It will help to advise you best if you share your starting location.
Old Nov 27, 2017, 5:22 am

Programs: BA Gold, HHonors Gold, Priority Pass
Try doing a return to LGW or LHR. You may need to fly one leg in Club but probably your cheapest way of achieving silver
Old Nov 27, 2017, 5:29 am
Original Poster

yes sorry based in London.
Old Nov 27, 2017, 5:31 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, SK Gold, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, Radisson VIP
Originally Posted by Nchoudhury
yes sorry based in London.
If flying Economy, make sure you don't select an O, G or Q fares on one of the two legs, because the higher Economy fares (N for example) earn 10 TPs, whereas the lower ones (O, G and Q) earn 5TPs.

For example, try flying LGW-JER-LGW in Economy (O,G or Q outbound, N or above inbound, or vice versa). This will yield 15 TPs.
T8191 likes this.
Old Nov 27, 2017, 5:32 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
EDIT:

couple of these? https://www.google.co.uk/flights/#se...GW0BA2789;a=BA
Old Nov 27, 2017, 5:38 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by bisonrav
That's a bit overkill. A simple return (or two singles) should be fine as long as one of the legs is in a 10 TP earning selling class. Q/O/G earn 5 TP, K/M/L/V/S/N would earn 10.
florens, bisonrav and rossmacd like this.
Old Nov 27, 2017, 5:41 am

Programs: BA - Rust, Marriott/SPG - LTGold, HH - Gold, IHG - Gold
Originally Posted by bisonrav
EDIT:

couple of these?

I've seen Google Flights throwing up a lot of these lately - however, you can't book it as a back to back at BA when you click through - and the price goes up significantly if you book one-ways.
Old Nov 27, 2017, 5:42 am

Programs: BA, Hilton
I'm new here myself, so I may be talking nonsense - if I am, don't worry, an expert will be along shortly to set me right! As others have said, you need to watch the booking code, and make sure at least one leg is a code that earns 10 TP

Now, I believe that recent changes to BA.com have made it rather more difficult to see what fare class you are actually booking And also, by default, the website will only book you into the lowest fare code, which you want to avoid. However, I understand it is possible to phone up in the 24-hour cancellation period after booking, and request that the ticket be changed to one of the higher fare codes that would earn 10TP, and sometimes this is only a few pounds more.

Also, note that it is possible to get a 2 week grace period in order to retain/obtain status, so if you absolutely could not fit a flight in by the 8th, that might help.

I'm sure one of the friendly ambassadors will be along in a moment to give you a proper welcome.
KARFA likes this.
Old Nov 27, 2017, 5:49 am

Originally Posted by Matt_P
I've seen Google Flights throwing up a lot of these lately - however, you can't book it as a back to back at BA when you click through - and the price goes up significantly if you book one-ways.
Yes, my bad, I didn't click through. However there's a doable one a couple of days before which can be booked:

https://www.google.co.uk/flights/#se...GW0BA2789;a=BA

Also available at weekends with a brutal start time (05:55 ).
Old Nov 27, 2017, 5:53 am
Original Poster

How certain is the grace period? Im already booked on a flight to abu dhabi on the 14th so that will easily cover it as its showing 70 tier points return.

Who do i call to get the grace period?
Old Nov 27, 2017, 5:59 am

OK, but you might as well do a quick 15 point run and keep the 70 points to start you off next year.
Old Nov 27, 2017, 6:05 am

Programs: BA, Hilton
Originally Posted by Nchoudhury
How certain is the grace period? Im already booked on a flight to abu dhabi on the 14th so that will easily cover it as its showing 70 tier points return.

Who do i call to get the grace period?
I'd call the BA Bronze/Silver line (not sure if you are 15 short of retaining Silver or stepping up to it)

Others can advise better as I've never used it myself, but from what I've read:
1) The grace period is offered to everyone for this purpose
2) This forum frequently knows more than BA agents, so if you get one who is unaware of it, just hang up and call again to get a different one
3) There are reports of people having to email/call in to get it sorted, and get the TPs credited to the proper year, but it all gets sorted out in the end
Old Nov 27, 2017, 6:05 am
Original Poster

Thats a good point, and have silver benefits for that flight
Old Nov 27, 2017, 6:22 am

Programs: BAEC Silver; Hilton Diamond;a miscellany of other hotel non-statuses
Most of the upcoming days have a day trip around Ł140 using the 5TP + 10TP fares. JER, AMS, EDI, GLA, etc.

Any use?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.