Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Daily Mail again - crew misbehaviour on overnight stops

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27, 2017, 2:17 am
Original Poster

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ry-hotels.html

Basically high jinks and naughtiness on overnight stays in "luxury hotels".

More TOWIE than BA apparently.
Old Nov 27, 2017, 2:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
I’m surprised it’s taken so long for these stories to come out, there are plenty more waiting in the wings.
Old Nov 27, 2017, 2:23 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
It is believed that a rule which gives staff discount prices on alcohol not used by customers is one of the key factors in their boozy sessions.
Does this actually exist? Aren’t there reports that alcohol is only loaded in London so if crew can buy it at outports doesn’t it contribute to shortages?
Old Nov 27, 2017, 2:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes it’s true that we have a crew purchase scheme, we can only purchase a small amount of miniatures of spirts, beers, quarter bottles of wine and canned soft drinks, on flights where the bars are not changed downroute this could effect what is available to customers on the return flight.
Old Nov 27, 2017, 2:52 am

Anyone who has come across downroute BA crew after dusk should know its true but so what? As long as they're not doing it in their BA uniform and are fully functioning in time for their return flight, what's the problem?

It's hardly exclusive to BA either. I have a good friend at one of the ME3 who tries to plan her trips around her rave calendar.
ajamieson, Calchas and Chink400 like this.
Old Nov 27, 2017, 3:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Sorry I have to disagree, how we act downroute reflects on BA, I like a good time but have never done anything like the stories I’m hearing about our newer crew.
flygirl68 and Tobias-UK like this.
Old Nov 27, 2017, 3:04 am

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
Originally Posted by 1010101
Anyone who has come across downroute BA crew after dusk should know its true but so what? As long as they're not doing it in their BA uniform and are fully functioning in time for their return flight, what's the problem?

It's hardly exclusive to BA either. I have a good friend at one of the ME3 who tries to plan her trips around her rave calendar.

If you are staying in a hotel paid for by your employer, you need to behave appropriately regardless whether you are on duty working in uniform or not, as you are there on behalf of your airline and are representing the airline, especially in the eyes of the hotel you are staying in!

And either case, you should behave appropriately at all times, even if you travel on your own dime. What is happening to people seriously?
Old Nov 27, 2017, 3:16 am

Programs: BA Silver - QF Lifetime Silver
If, as a company, your policy is to employ younger crew on lower wages expecting many of them to view the job as a short-term see the world and party lifestyle choice, then as a company, you ought to expect this sort of behaviour and resultant negative publicity as a consequence.
Old Nov 27, 2017, 3:21 am

Originally Posted by Can I help you
Yes it’s true that we have a crew purchase scheme, we can only purchase a small amount of miniatures of spirts, beers, quarter bottles of wine and canned soft drinks, on flights where the bars are not changed downroute this could effect what is available to customers on the return flight.
Am I understanding this right? Crew can buy drinks from the aeroplane’s stock with the result that there is possibly insufficient left for passengers?
adrianlondon likes this.
Old Nov 27, 2017, 3:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes you are correct.
Old Nov 27, 2017, 3:44 am

Programs: BA Gold. KrisFlyer Gold
Originally Posted by VH-EAB
If, as a company, your policy is to employ younger crew on lower wages expecting many of them to view the job as a short-term see the world and party lifestyle choice, then as a company, you ought to expect this sort of behaviour and resultant negative publicity as a consequence.
Absolutely. As far as I can see, travelling around the world with people your own age to party and have fun for a couple of days at various places you couldn't otherwise afford to visit is pretty much the only reason why potential MF crew members would put up with the terrible salary. Good luck to them.
Old Nov 27, 2017, 3:45 am
Original Poster

A colleague and were in a small restaurant on Caudan Waterfront in Mauritius a couple of weeks ago and a BA crew came in. Quite a good natured bunch - from the jibber jabber it was clearly BA. What I took to be the flight deck crew pitched up later.
Old Nov 27, 2017, 3:48 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Greenpen
Am I understanding this right? Crew can buy drinks from the aeroplane’s stock with the result that there is possibly insufficient left for passengers?
Originally Posted by Can I help you
Yes you are correct.
Not sure how that can really be justified.
MSPeconomist and Tafflyer like this.
Old Nov 27, 2017, 3:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by crazyanglaisy
Absolutely. As far as I can see, travelling around the world with people your own age to party and have fun for a couple of days at various places you couldn't otherwise afford to visit is pretty much the only reason why potential MF crew members would put up with the terrible salary. Good luck to them.
We are all responsible for our own behaviour, if BA recruit crew with such poor standards then I guess that they are partly to blame, hopefully these crew are managed out of the company swiftly.
Waterhorse and MSPeconomist like this.
Old Nov 27, 2017, 3:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by simons1
Not sure how that can really be justified.
The amounts purchased are very small, most crew I fly with prefer to meet up and go out rather than drinking in their room.
ajamieson likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.