Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Downgrades - a guide?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2, 2017, 3:04 am

I just posted this on another thread but it may help posting it again. Our actual flight was on a 789 with just 8 F seats and all but 1 taken on wheels up.

...A few weeks before our trip to Boston in November. We were alerted by the MyFlights app that our booking had changed, no email from BA. We were downgraded from F to J due to aircraft change and no F cabin on the change. Having telephoned YouFirst the lovely agent promptly asked if we could do an earlier/later flight on the same day. She said there was no reward availability but would email the redemptions team and hey presto within 24 hours we were back on track with an F flight just an hour later than originally planned.

The only issues it gave us was that midway to LHR on the M4 I tried to complete OLCI and we struck an error telling us to check-in at the airport. Worried of yet another downgrade we rang and it was an IT glitch related to the first cancelled flight. Eventually sorted at the airport the next morning.
My advice would be 1) don't worry about it because you can't control it. 2) have options and know what other flights are going out that day. 3) be flexible and most important don't stress about it.
Old Dec 2, 2017, 3:58 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by louie-m
My memory might be failing me, but I thought I could remember an excellent guide to what to do if that happens written by your good self C-W-S, which I have been looking for so I can print it out and take it with me to the airport. If I didn't imagine it, could you point me in the right direction to find it please?
There are 2 posts I can recall along these lines, one 2-4-1 centric, and I'll dig them out. But I'm somewhat appalled of the thought of people printing out (anything!) I ramble on about. Notwithstanding that, you are more likely to be late to the airport than downgraded, by quite a margin too.
Old Dec 2, 2017, 4:46 am

Programs: Nothing shiny :-(
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
There are 2 posts I can recall along these lines, one 2-4-1 centric, and I'll dig them out. But I'm somewhat appalled of the thought of people printing out (anything!) I ramble on about. Notwithstanding that, you are more likely to be late to the airport than downgraded, by quite a margin too.
Don't be coy C-W-S, there are many many people thankful for your advice on here and information is power, so they say. I appreciate it is unlikely that we'll be downgraded but if we are, my mind will no doubt turn to jelly and some Cliffs Notes will be handy!
Old Dec 2, 2017, 5:21 am

Programs: BA Gold
Mrs Bluemoon worries about everything possible it is to worry about; even she hasn't once worried about the possibility of us being downgraded. Flying far less than me, she actually looks forward to these flights and considers them part of the holiday. On the 10 flights (5 returns) we have taken using the 2-4-1 we have flown the class booked 9 times and been upgraded once. I really wouldn't get into the mindset of thinking that (a) a downgrade is likely and (b) if it did happen you wouldn't be treated with some consideration by BA.
Old Dec 2, 2017, 5:30 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Focus on that which can be controlled.

Simply be prepared for the things you can't control. In addition to a cabin oversale necessitating a downgrade, your flight could be cancelled or significantly delayed for any number of reasons. But, worrying that the Captain will contract food poisoning won't make his eating habits better.

The sole thing to do here as with all travel is to have done the research on other options in the event that anything goes wrong no matter the fault. SAN may only have one nonstop per day, but it is served by BA/AA via every US gateway, most particularly LAX which is a 15-minute (airtime) hop and a short drive to SAN.
Old Dec 2, 2017, 5:43 am

Programs: Nothing shiny :-(
Found it - this is the post by C-W-S I was thinking of - https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/27984677-post225.html
Old Dec 2, 2017, 5:50 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by louie-m
Found it - this is the post by C-W-S I was thinking of - https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/27984677-post225.html
Thank you - that is indeed the 2-4-1 version, though it is a bit after the event, I'm not sure it's that helpful at the airport, plus the Consumer Rights Act has a potential angle here. But I have quickly re-read it and it seems to hold up, I would further downplay the use of CEDR in this scenario, and advocate an MCOL approach if possible.
flyingManc likes this.
Old Dec 2, 2017, 2:29 pm
Suspended

Programs: BAEC
Don't worry. There are significantly more upgrades than downgrades on 2-4-1s (albeit not from F!), it's just that some people on here and HFP have chosen to make a mountain out of it (admittedly itself driven by less than ideal handling by BA CS). You've got a near-perfect chance it'll be ok, but if you're concerned, pick your favourite alternative routing (which can include AA under joint business rules) and ask for that if the worst happens - BA's default option is downgrade by one cabin on original route as that's what the everyday man in the street would most likely prefer, but no one would quibble about rerouting you on any suitable BA/AA itinerary if you told them you'd rather stay in F as it's such a treat.

Enjoy your trip
Tobias-UK likes this.
Old Dec 3, 2017, 4:49 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold & GGL & CCR, HH Diam, Bonvoy Titanium, IHG Spire, Tastecard
Originally Posted by Can I help you
If you focus on the negatives you will see negatives, focus on being positive and relaxed.
+1

despite Raffles' reports of 2-4-1 downgrades (and I know he's trying to be helpful even if the headlines can be a bit sensationalist), downgrades are rare (as often told) and it's not a 50/50 gamble of downgrade or not on a 2-4-1.

though I havent checked loads, as others have said, if there are 3 F seats available, it's say there's next to no risk of a downgrade.

so, as CIHY says, stop worrying about potential negatives. I just read a book that said we spent 90% of our time worrying about things that have a 10% likelihood of happening. (i'd say here, it's less than 10% likelihood) - and that is just silly. you are just as likely to miss the flight because of a traffic accident on the M25 or because of bad weather.

look forward to your first F and enjoy.
Old Dec 3, 2017, 6:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If there’s a downgrade situation with one passenger on a 2-4-1 can you request a re-route for both?
Old Dec 3, 2017, 6:37 am

Originally Posted by mikeyfly
If there’s a downgrade situation with one passenger on a 2-4-1 can you request a re-route for both?
Yes, you can reroute both passengers in that scenario.
mikeyfly likes this.
Old Dec 3, 2017, 6:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks c-w-s
Old Dec 4, 2017, 8:43 am

Originally Posted by flyingManc
We're due to fly on a 2-4-1 in two weeks, and with a single seat left in F on that flight (not taking in to account 1A/1K) I'm concerned about being downgraded. I've read through previous threads on the likelihood of a downgrade on 2-4-1, which seems slight, but as this is our first F flight I wanted to be prepared.

Is there a guide on how to handle downgrades with BA, at the point of being told about the downgrade? Should I ask them how they have chosen the individuals (me+1) to downgrade? Should I request a re-route in F?
Funnily enough i'm flying this route in Feb and availability is now only F1, 4 seats on the map are showing though.
Does F1 mean its full since they over sell first by 1 (i think I read on here)?
Old Dec 4, 2017, 8:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by Eaunoire
Does F1 mean its full since they over sell first by 1 (i think I read on here)?
BA is said to be prepared to overbook F by 1. If that is right, then F1 means that BA currently holds 14 reservations for the F cabin (assuming a 14-seat cabin). But that would not mean either that the cabin is either full or or that it is oversold.
Old Dec 5, 2017, 3:58 pm
Suspended

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by Globaliser
BA is said to be prepared to overbook F by 1. If that is right, then F1 means that BA currently holds 14 reservations for the F cabin (assuming a 14-seat cabin). But that would not mean either that the cabin is either full or or that it is oversold.
... And just because BA is now willing and able to overbook F by 1, that doesn't mean they have, will or are in this case, merely that they can if they so choose. I have no proof either way, but rather suspect the majority of flights are still not set up this way - they really don't want to downgrade/reroute F if at all possible, and will only overbook F at all if they realistically expect someone won't turn up.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.