Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Enhanced compensation as First passenger?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26, 2017, 2:38 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by smokie36
Nowhere in my comment do you see the word compensation either.

I merely commented on the issue of being forced to sit on an aircraft going nowhere for six hours.

If anything I am surprised there wasn't a riot in the back cabin.
I didn't mean you mentioned the word Compensation smokie I was referring to the OP

Yes the poor buggers in Economy I do feel for them absolutely!
Old Nov 26, 2017, 2:46 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by 710 77345
Because that was the compensation mandated for the delay.

The other issue is that BA weren't offering a meal on the replacement flight, didn't offer to let the passenger go back to the lounge to eat during the delay, and wouldn't pay for alcohol to be served with dinner on the ground before the new flight. I think compensation is worthy for those 3 failings, especially for someone who paid thousands for a first class ticket.
Is this the case? I can't imagine for one second that an aircraft would leave on a 10+ hour flight without any catering. Perhaps the OP might confirm the position?
Padmeister likes this.
Old Nov 26, 2017, 2:52 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by Padmeister
I didn't mean you mentioned the word Compensation smokie I was referring to the OP

Yes the poor buggers in Economy I do feel for them absolutely!
Imagine sitting there with kids.....although I guess most folks don't take them to Vegas lol.
Padmeister likes this.
Old Nov 26, 2017, 2:58 pm

Originally Posted by smokie36
Imagine sitting there with kids.....although I guess most folks don't take them to Vegas lol.
Old Nov 26, 2017, 3:01 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by EsherFlyer
I didn't see if you commented on commented on the catering / refreshments on the replacement aircraft. If everything was available there then the 10k Avios starts to look more reasonable.

If not then I'd feel the same. You can typically buy 10k Avios for ~£100 via Iberia offers, and that's a very poor partial refund on something that BA claim has £000 of value over the cheaper options you could have used - however it is enough for a decent meal out somewhere which hopefully will be more enjoyable anyway. As other mention above you might have expected 30k-50k Avios the past, which makes a lot more sense in terms of trying to make premium customer feel more valued and willing to spend the same again. However, very little prospect of that these days it seems.
Yes, this is basically where I am coming from. Clearly everyone on the plane was equally six hours inconvenienced. I'm not questioning that.

I am more interested in whether the level of financial compensation offered to a customer is a function of the ticket price where a specific service failure is the fault of the airline.

Obviously my expectations are more in line with what might have been offered a few years ago and that this is no longer the case.

Just to add that I don't know if dinner was available on the second flight, because the entire plane had already eaten since we were told it would not be available.
ttama likes this.

Last edited by lordgaino; Nov 26, 2017 at 3:08 pm
Old Nov 26, 2017, 3:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by wyddfa
Was two hours late in January leaving LHR for JNB due to disruptive passenger in Y. Was in CW. Crew refused to serve drinks while we waited. And waited.
Compare: Flew Qatar to HAN from MAN in Sep. Two hours late due to door problem meant missed connection and so 24hrs late in HAN. 600 euros compensation received and they put me up in a decent hotel in DOH. As I was flying Y I had no complaints whatsoever. Y is acceptable on Qatar, business is fantastic.
Your two examples are not comparable.

In the first no compensation under EU261 was due because of the short delay. When there is a rolling delay it is also hard for the crew to know if they should serve drinks - alcoholic and non alcoholic - or not.

What Qatar gave you - compensation and a hotel - is exactly what was required of them under EU261 because you were delayed by 24 hours to your final destination and would have been exactly what BA would have had to do as well.
Old Nov 26, 2017, 3:11 pm

Originally Posted by lordgaino
I am more interested in whether the level of financial compensation offered to a customer is a function of the ticket price where a specific service failure is the fault of the airline.
It isn't. The level of compensation is a function of what is set out in law (EC261) in which class of travel and price paid is not relevant.

Remember it isn't just F passengers that pay premium fares. A late purchase ticket in Y can be several times the price of an advance purchase.
Old Nov 26, 2017, 3:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Well said! The OP received £600 from EC261 plus £175 worth of Avios for what is really a minor grievance! He still got to his destination on another aircraft in the end. If I got stuck on the M25 due to an accident for 7 hours I would get bugger all apart from frustration

I think the OP should just wipe his mouth and move on he has done alright if you ask me
You are missing my point! And what you think is torture and what I think is torture is two completely different things. BA have fulfilled there obligation in this situation but clearly the OP wants/expects more hence the thread. Yes it's a bloody inconvenience having to sit on an aircraft but the OP was in F and he has got 600 quid back plus a chunk of Avios and still got to his destination on another aircraft so I am sorry but that is not the end of the world however you think it would be "torture" People love playing the compensation card as soon as things go wrong and it drives me mad! On a flight back from St Lucia in June the aircraft went tech and Mrs P and I got delayed for about not far off 5 hours and looking back not once did the word "Compensation" enter my partners or my mind.
it’s actually €600 not £600
Old Nov 26, 2017, 3:30 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Yes, this is basically where I am coming from. Clearly everyone on the plane was equally six hours inconvenienced. I'm not questioning that.

Obviously my expectations are more in line with what might have been offered a few years ago and that this is no longer the case.

Just to add that I don't know if dinner was available on the second flight, because the entire plane had already eaten since we were told it would not be available.
Compensation (required by law or contract) and customer service gestures (such as OP seeks over and above compensation) are not paid by carriers. They are paid by ticket purchasers, e.g. passengers and their employers.

The days of tossing out these goodies is long gone because passengers don't want to pay higher fares to support the giveaways. On an EU carrier, they have no choice because it is the law. But, the notion that anything substantially above EUR 600 (in cash no less) is appropriate for OP's suffering is off.
Old Nov 26, 2017, 4:05 pm

Originally Posted by orbitmic
it’s actually €600 not £600
oh right? Well I hope you feel much better Orbitmic after correcting me on that slight error
Old Nov 26, 2017, 4:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
My dad had an F trip to India many years ago, before the EU rules came in. He was going to speak at a conference and they'd paid for the ticket. The plane was unable to take off due to a fault which was apparently fixable. So dinner was served for the F passengers on the ground and he watched a film during it. Then they announced that the problem wasn't going to be fixed. It was now late in the evening and there wasn't a spare plane so did he need a hotel room for the night. He said that he was going home to his own bed thanks. What about rebooking? No point, the conference he was supposed to be speaking at would be over by the time he got there. I think the compensation that he went after was the tier points but I don't remember him getting them.
Old Nov 26, 2017, 4:17 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver; Hilton Diamond;a miscellany of other hotel non-statuses
I'm surprised that no one asked about squeezing a bit more in, at least puddings.
Old Nov 27, 2017, 4:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
oh right? Well I hope you feel much better Orbitmic after correcting me on that slight error
i'm very sorry if you feel upset that I mentioned that it is €600 and not £600. As is obvious from recent queries, many people are not familiar with EC261 provisions and use what they read here to know what they are entitled to. I derive absolutely no pleasure from correcting anyone (what a very bizarre thought to have in the first place) but I do feel bad when occasional visitors get the wrong idea on their entitlement because a mistake is repeated unchallenged. If it makes you feel any better, I've made plenty of mistakes in 20,000+ posts and have learnt a lot from people mentioning them to me.
Old Nov 27, 2017, 4:39 am

Programs: Mucci des Ancients Matelots
Morning all, just got back from holiday and saw this thread,

I was also on this flight and also in First. The crew I thought (from a First perspective) dealt with it quite well. We were kept informed throughout while waiting for the Boston jet to be prepared for us. The junior (I think) captain was moving between cabins throughout to talk to people and make sure people knew what was going on. Good looking SoB he was too, I was sure that's why he was pushed out to talk to people!

Once the pre-flight booze was finished there was no more to be had but whatever the legal reasons (which I don't personally believe but there you go) it makes sense to keep an increasingly frustrated and overheated airplane alcohol free as much as possible. I know they had to open the rear doors to try and cool down Y and I heard they had an ambulance parked out back for a while but I didn't see it personally.

We were told that the crew had agreed to extend their hours to accommodate the late arrival time, this is why they served dinner while on the ground so that the crew could take extended sleep breaks after take off. This meant we only had one crew member in First for the majority of the flight but many were sleeping by then so it was no big shakes to me and I was frankly happy to be leaving and not waiting overnight for a new flight.

The new plane was indeed fully restocked, I was told so by the crew, so there was a full meal selection on board and we did partake before sleeping.

I'm putting in my compo claim for the late arrival but to be frank, I feel the crew did their best to make things as good as they could in the circumstances and I was grateful for the crew agreeing to extend their hours so I don't feel the need to claim over and above but as always YMMV.

As an aside, arriving that late in Vegas and in First made immigration a total breeze!!!
Tobias-UK likes this.
Old Nov 27, 2017, 5:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
It's good to have another perspective on incidents like this @GaxxyFlyer so thank you for posting

But whether you believe it or not there are legal reasons why they can't just open the booze stocks as the stock would then need to have the duty and excise taxes paid on them. This has been verified by cabin crew on several occasions.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.