Enhanced compensation as First passenger?

Old Nov 26, 2017, 10:30 am

Personally I can't see why sitting in a first class seat makes a 6 hour delay any more of an inconvenience.

I would have said the OP has done quite well, EC261 of €600 plus Ł175 worth of Avios for a collection of minor grievances. No alcohol with dinner, sounds like a first world problem really.
Old Nov 26, 2017, 10:40 am

Programs: All the best ones.
Originally Posted by Misco60
The inconvenience of a delayed departure is the same no matter how much the ticket cost and which cabin the passenger is sitting in, and I see no reason why the level of compensation should relate to the fare paid.
Incredible as it may seem, more than two years ago, BA had no problem awarding 50,000 service recovery Avios for broken IFE (non-functioning entertainment), old configuration seats, or a broken coffee machine in First. Now it seems 10,000 service recovery Avios is the limit for all classes. More than seven years ago premium award availability was great. More than a year ago there was no food or drink to buy onboard. More than three years ago there used to be plenty of double Avios earning promotions. Eons ago, was a time that you could keep upgrading WT+ to Club with Avios and still earn enough Avios on the trip to pay for itself (CW upgrade for almost free!) This is just how BA EC has changed over the years, by closing loopholes to prevent earning lots of Avios by asking for compensation. "Too many compensation requests poisoned the well."
T8191 likes this.
Old Nov 26, 2017, 10:42 am

Programs: BAEC GGL
I am slightly surprised by the lack of alcohol, I've been in the same situation give or take in CW and the crew were extremely good at keeping us refreshed for the 4 hours we sat on the ground (indeed, come arrival, I rather regretted the last few glasses). Particularly given you were in first, it should not have been beyond the capability of BA to locate further supplies of 'duty paid' bottles at their home base you would think so rather disappointing. I don't think you'll get anywhere with compensation on the other hand...
Old Nov 26, 2017, 10:56 am

Programs: Lemonia. Best Greek ever.
At LHR, the reason that neither BA nor BAA staff like to deplane people is that it is just Inconvenient for staff. Quite simple really.
At a busy/full airport, having extra SLF running around uncontrolled by the staff is simply a pain in the neck.
If they can avoid it, they will.
Old Nov 26, 2017, 11:00 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
It is fairly common for carriers to do all that they can to keep passengers from "jumping ship" on what may be shortish delays because W&B needs to be recalculated and then checked when even one passenger or bag is offloaded. During busy periods, that can add 15-20 minutes to the departure process.

Part of this is complicated by UK rules requiring that bags be pulled when a passenger is offloaded. The US abandoned this rule 14 years ago when it subjected all checked bags to TSA screening. Carriers are free to set their own policies and generally do not pull bags when the separation of passenger and bag was not forseeable at the time the bag was checked.
Old Nov 26, 2017, 11:45 am

Programs: BAEC Silver; Hilton Diamond;a miscellany of other hotel non-statuses
Originally Posted by lordgaino
I guess I feel that given the significant sum paid for the ticket (which to me is a lot of money and was a treat to myself), being confined to a plane for six hours and the fact that I missed a whole evening of a very short trip, that EUR600 doesn't exactly cut it.
I didn't see if you commented on commented on the catering / refreshments on the replacement aircraft. If everything was available there then the 10k Avios starts to look more reasonable.

If not then I'd feel the same. You can typically buy 10k Avios for ~Ł100 via Iberia offers, and that's a very poor partial refund on something that BA claim has Ł000 of value over the cheaper options you could have used - however it is enough for a decent meal out somewhere which hopefully will be more enjoyable anyway. As other mention above you might have expected 30k-50k Avios the past, which makes a lot more sense in terms of trying to make premium customer feel more valued and willing to spend the same again. However, very little prospect of that these days it seems.
Old Nov 26, 2017, 1:15 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by simons1
Personally I can't see why sitting in a first class seat makes a 6 hour delay any more of an inconvenience.

I would have said the OP has done quite well, EC261 of €600 plus Ł175 worth of Avios for a collection of minor grievances. No alcohol with dinner, sounds like a first world problem really.
Well said! The OP received Ł600 from EC261 plus Ł175 worth of Avios for what is really a minor grievance! He still got to his destination on another aircraft in the end. If I got stuck on the M25 due to an accident for 7 hours I would get bugger all apart from frustration

I think the OP should just wipe his mouth and move on he has done alright if you ask me
Old Nov 26, 2017, 1:30 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by Padmeister
Well said! The OP received Ł600 from EC261 plus Ł175 worth of Avios for what is really a minor grievance! He still got to his destination on another aircraft in the end. If I got stuck on the M25 due to an accident for 7 hours I would get bugger all apart from frustration

I think the OP should just wipe his mouth and move on he has done alright if you ask me
This delay is 100% the fault of BA and nothing to do with a car crash.

SIX hours sitting on an aircraft going nowhere would drive me mad even in F....in Y it must have been torture!
Old Nov 26, 2017, 1:43 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by smokie36

SIX hours sitting on an aircraft going nowhere would drive me mad even in F....in Y it must have been torture!
Indeed BA are responsible for the delay and the law lays down what compensation is payable when delays occur. BA have fully discharged their obligation, indeed they have offered compensation over and above what is legally required.
Old Nov 26, 2017, 2:07 pm

Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
Indeed BA are responsible for the delay and the law lays down what compensation is payable when delays occur. BA have fully discharged their obligation, indeed they have offered compensation over and above what is legally required.
I disagree with the over and above. 10000 Avios is paltry in the circumstances, and it’s ridiculous for people to say this has a value of Ł175, that would only be true if BA would replace them with Ł175. You could argue BA are just further sucking you in with this, since in using them you’ll end up paying them further ‘fees’.
710 77345 likes this.
Old Nov 26, 2017, 2:19 pm

Originally Posted by dougzz
I disagree with the over and above. 10000 Avios is paltry in the circumstances, and it’s ridiculous for people to say this has a value of Ł175, that would only be true if BA would replace them with Ł175. You could argue BA are just further sucking you in with this, since in using them you’ll end up paying them further ‘fees’.
I'm not sure why BA needs to give anything over and above. Surely situations like this are why EC261 exists?
Old Nov 26, 2017, 2:22 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
Was two hours late in January leaving LHR for JNB due to disruptive passenger in Y. Was in CW. Crew refused to serve drinks while we waited. And waited.
Compare: Flew Qatar to HAN from MAN in Sep. Two hours late due to door problem meant missed connection and so 24hrs late in HAN. 600 euros compensation received and they put me up in a decent hotel in DOH. As I was flying Y I had no complaints whatsoever. Y is acceptable on Qatar, business is fantastic.
Old Nov 26, 2017, 2:28 pm

Originally Posted by simons1
I'm not sure why BA needs to give anything over and above. Surely situations like this are why EC261 exists?
Because that was the compensation mandated for the delay.

The other issue is that BA weren't offering a meal on the replacement flight, didn't offer to let the passenger go back to the lounge to eat during the delay, and wouldn't pay for alcohol to be served with dinner on the ground before the new flight. I think compensation is worthy for those 3 failings, especially for someone who paid thousands for a first class ticket.
Old Nov 26, 2017, 2:28 pm

Originally Posted by smokie36

You are missing my point! And what you think is torture and what I think is torture is two completely different things. BA have fulfilled there obligation in this situation but clearly the OP wants/expects more hence the thread. Yes it's a bloody inconvenience having to sit on an aircraft but the OP was in F and he has got 600 quid back plus a chunk of Avios and still got to his destination on another aircraft so I am sorry but that is not the end of the world however you think it would be "torture" People love playing the compensation card as soon as things go wrong and it drives me mad! On a flight back from St Lucia in June the aircraft went tech and Mrs P and I got delayed for about not far off 5 hours and looking back not once did the word "Compensation" enter my partners or my mind.
Tobias-UK likes this.
Old Nov 26, 2017, 2:34 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by Padmeister
You are missing my point! And what you think is torture and what I think is torture is two completely different things. BA have fulfilled there obligation in this situation but clearly the OP wants/expects more hence the thread. Yes it's a bloody inconvenience having to sit on an aircraft but the OP was in F and he has got 600 quid back plus a chunk of Avios and still got to his destination on another aircraft so I am sorry but that is not the end of the world however you think it would be "torture" People love playing the compensation card as soon as things go wrong and it drives me mad! On a flight back from St Lucia in June the aircraft went tech and Mrs P and I got delayed for about not far off 5 hours and looking back not once did the word "Compensation" enter my partners or my mind.
Nowhere in my comment do you see the word compensation either.

I merely commented on the issue of being forced to sit on an aircraft going nowhere for six hours.

If anything I am surprised there wasn't a riot in the back cabin.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.