FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   HKG Lounge Advice (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1879255-hkg-lounge-advice.html)

BobOnBA Nov 24, 2017 9:50 am

HKG Lounge Advice

Greetings fellow FT'ers,

I am looking for some advice from those familiar with LHR T3 and HKG airport. I am lucky enough to be in Australia on business next week with a daytrip to Singapore on the way back. I'm booked on some leisurely flights on the way out and a some what hectic return. British passport holder, BA Gold/OW Emerald.

The plan is:
Arrive at airport nice and early to explore T3 lounges.
CX256 20:35 LHR - 16:15(+1) HKG
CX101 23:55 HKG - 12:05(+1) SYD

CX134 08:50 MEL - HKG 15:15
CX659 01:50(+1) HKG - SIN 05:40
CX716 18:00 SIN - HKG 21:55
CX129 01:10 HKG - MAN 06:10(+1)

I would be greatly appreciative if anyone could offer some clarity on the following questions (some trivial, some not!):

1) I've got plenty of experience of the BA First lounge in T3. Looking forward to exploring the CX lounge which has opened since my last visit. Do we know if the new Qantas lounge will be open by Sunday 26/11/17? Any advice on which lounge might have sky sports available?

2) I have a significant layover in HKG on the outbound journey (due to fare buckets). Planning a bit of a lounge crawl to facilitate some time to shower, to relax, to do a few hours work and to eat/drink before boarding. A bit of research shows a lot lounge options - any recommendations for a lounge crawl itinerary?

3) The HKG-SIN-HKG "hop" is on a separate ticket (avios reward booking) am I right in believing CX will through-check my baggage?

4) If 4 is true will I be protected for my onward connection to MAN in the event of IRROPS on CX716. There is another CX flight behind it and several other non cx flights for protection but I am slightly nervous.

5) I'm trying to get 3-4 hours sleep in HKG before the short flight HKG to SIN. What's the best plan for achieving that? I've read about CX Cabanas but there's a 2 hour limit. Is that likely to be enforced? I've read about a 3rd party lounge but can't see where to book a bed. Any thoughts about managing that would be appreciated!
Thanks again for any input from frequent flyers and those familiar with the airports!

neofung Nov 24, 2017 10:01 am

>2 CX the Pier FIrst is the newest lounge in HKG and so far the best among the 7 OW lounges. Yet, I also recommend QF lounge which the food offer is slightly different to CX lounges.

>3 CX does check through luggage on separate tickets, given they are oneworld flights

>4 CX will not protect any onward connection. Luggage check thru' doesn't mean anything as you are on different ticket. Yet as a courtesy, they MAY offer a re-route.

Cymro Nov 24, 2017 10:11 am

1) Not sure about the QF lounge or Sky Sports - but the CX lounge is excellent regardless.

2) I've never tried the QF lounge in HKG yet, either, though you certainly have time to explore. For self service, the Bakery at the Bridge is pretty good. The Pier First is the nicest lounge, though the self-service food in the business lounge is also good. The Wing and the Cabin are inferior, in my view, though good for hugging the gate close to departure.

3) More than likely, yes. Their policy is generally to check luggage and iit's all CX metal.

4) They *may* accommodate you (I really wouldn't be surprised if they did) but assuming that both legs of the hop to SIN are on avios and separate bookings then there is a slight risk. You wouldn't formally be protected. Strictly, they don't have to. The risk here is not so much that you miss a flight but that, if there are irrops, you will only know you're not going to make it until too late to take the earlier options... guess a non-CX flex booking might not be bad insurance.

Fly2Where Nov 24, 2017 10:28 am

Originally Posted by Cymro (Post 29095927)
1)
4) They *may* accommodate you (I really wouldn't be surprised if they did) but assuming that both legs of the hop to SIN are on avios and separate bookings then there is a slight risk. You wouldn't formally be protected. Strictly, they don't have to. The risk here is not so much that you miss a flight but that, if there are irrops, you will only know you're not going to make it until too late to take the earlier options... guess a non-CX flex booking might not be bad insurance.

If CX to CX, its a definite "yes" on seperate tickets, however Its a "may" if on different airlines.
they have internal guideline about this. *btw, they wont do it unless there is a internal guide.
Unless they changed recently, which had happened to "cx to other airlines". The warning letter given out defined "booking on third party airlines", CX has no liability/obligation to protect your flight.
btw, this question if asked on CX forum will get a better answer.

ESFLYER95 Nov 24, 2017 10:42 am

There is so much stuff on FT about HKG lounges. Yes, Pier and Wing F are great but if you get the QF lounge at a slow time it is brilliant IMO. Has some great views, typical Aussie fresh salads, solid coffee, really nice bar to sit at, lovely staff and can be empty at the right time. Although looks like you are going to be at HKG at the earliest around 15:15 which is starting to get busier at QF.

Usually I get to HKG, very close to departure with resident card and the reliable train but if I have some time usually do something like, Sushi in Wing F and some appetisers, Coffee in QF, Sit down meal at the Pier. The current Tuna Tataki at the Pier is very nice! The Cabin is also good for some tubs of Haagen Diaz if you are so inclined.....

The _Banking_Scot Nov 24, 2017 11:58 am

Hi,

I would also pop into Pier J ( close to Pier F lounge) as although it is a business class lounge it is excellent with a tea room ( the teahouse) and a noodle bar .

I had a 10 hour layover in HKG last weekend
doing NRT-HKG-MAD and went into Hong Kong to view the sunset at the Star Ferry pier before getting back to HKG around 7pm and then did

Wing F for appetisers
Pier F for dinner/relaxing and a shower
Pier J for a tea
The Bridge for a quick visit
The Cabin enroute to the gate

Regards

TBS
Regards

TBS

SophLVA Nov 24, 2017 3:00 pm

I would definitely recommend having something to eat in the Pier F lounge, I loved the restaurant (especially the truffle burger!) and the bar there is great as well, such a pleasant space to pass some time and my definite favourite of all the lounges. Although I do think that all of the Cathay lounges are lovely in their own way and it's a great opportunity to see them all and find out which you like the best. If having a nice relaxing bath is your thing then there are some fabulous bath cabanas in the F Wing which are a treat to spend some time in. I'd second what has been said about the Qantas F lounge too, all the staff are very friendly and a great selection of food and drink (if you happen to still be peckish). As airports to spend 10/11 hours go you will be spoilt for choice!

Whatever you choose to do I'm sure you'll have a great time. Have a lovely trip!

Genius1 Nov 24, 2017 3:05 pm

Originally Posted by SophLVA (Post 29096630)
I'd second what has been said about the Qantas F lounge too, all the staff are very friendly and a great selection of food and drink (if you happen to still be peckish).

A minor point, but the QF lounge in HKG is a combined F/J lounge. Whilst the food and drink is decent, I'm not a fan of the mezzanine location (as with The Wing) and the often crowded nature of the lounge.

seaskybound Nov 24, 2017 3:43 pm

HKG lounges are very special. But with the amount of time u have I highly reccomend taking the airport express to the city for 2-3 hours and head back.

(you can leave ur stuff at the arrivals lounge, freshen up and head out)

Depending on how well u know the city I and others can reccomend what to do.

Howard Long Nov 24, 2017 3:44 pm

You have a couple,of long layovers there, if you want a rest I recommend Pier F over Wing F because the sleeping areas in Pier F don’t suffer PA announcements. As a result, the cabanas in Wing F are almost impossible to sleep in, and there are no blankets, and just a small sofa. You get a blanket in Pier F but I also ask for an extra blanket as the aircon can be quite fierce.

Although there’s a 90 minute limit, in my experience, I’ve had no problem in have four or five hours in the Pier F sleeping area, but this has always been during the day HKG time (but my night time) and I’ve found the sleeping area has been almost completely empty every time.

If you do choose to sleep, don’t forget your noise cancelling headphones or ear plugs, you can still hear some noise particularly from outside airside road traffic.

corporate-wage-slave Nov 24, 2017 7:39 pm

Originally Posted by BobOnBA (Post 29095876)
. Do we know if the new Qantas lounge will be open by Sunday 26/11/17? Any advice on which lounge might have sky sports available?

The Qantas lounge won't be open this Sunday, there are some last minute hitches, see my post in relevant thread in the Qantas forum. My guess is Thursday.

For Sky Sport, I suspect BA and AA would be more likely to provide that than CX, though none of them are as good as T5 South or LGW in that respect.

Howard Long Nov 25, 2017 1:05 am

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...d8936fb9fd.jpg

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...003f5cb133.jpg

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...2893a1f24c.jpg
I concur, this morning it still has large posters on the doors regarding its imminent opening. I am not sure of its opening times when it does finally open its doors: unless it has some third party agreements, the only current QF flight leaves quite late in the evening. That will change once the Perth route becomes active in March, which I believe leaves at lunchtime.

OW flyers really are spoilt for choice of lounges in T3!

SAN_Finn Nov 25, 2017 2:36 am

If you like lounge hopping and have an amex platinum or centurion card the new amex lounge is quite nice also. Besides that Pier F sleeping area is the best place for me for a long layover (like above I've slept here for most of the day without anybody saying anything)

Howard Long Nov 25, 2017 2:53 am

Originally Posted by SAN_Finn (Post 29097843)
If you like lounge hopping and have an amex platinum or centurion card the new amex lounge is quite nice also. Besides that Pier F sleeping area is the best place for me for a long layover (like above I've slept here for most of the day without anybody saying anything)

I'd completely forgotten that Amex have their new Centurion lounge opened very recently, I haven't tried it yet, but I have an eight hour layover tomorrow myself so thanks for the heads up. Agreed regarding Pier F sleeping arrangements. As well as requesting an extra blanket that I mentioned earlier, an extra pillow wouldn't go amiss either.

Also agreed with other posters regarding the QF lounge at HKG, when it's quiet I find it quite an oasis, I also particularly like the sitting-at-the-counter style, but that's a personal thing. You can do that in Pier F too, but it's not quite as informal as the QF setup.

corporate-wage-slave Nov 25, 2017 3:32 am

Originally Posted by Howard Long
I am not sure of its opening times when it does finally open its doors: unless it has some third party agreements, the only current QF flight leaves quite late in the evening

It will be open 08:00 to 20:00. See main Qantas thread for more information. There is a codeshare Emirates flight at midday.