Wiki Posts
Search

Document check for flight tomorrow.

Search this Thread

Old Nov 24, 2017, 6:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver, ITA Club Executive, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Document check for flight tomorrow.

I checked in for my LHR-JFK-LAX-SFO tomorrow, and I got the dreaded "someone needs to check your documents" message. I've been checked in on the first two segments and not the third, and I could download my LHR-JFK boarding pass but not my JFK-LAX one as the AA app gives me an error. Perhaps it's because it's more than 24 hours until departure time.

I understand that the document check is a standard FLY thing this days. I don't have anything to worry about or that I should do now, do I? My ESTA expires in March 2018.

Should I just go to one of the checked in desk of the First Wing tomorrow or is it something they can do in the CCR?

Also, will they be able give me boarding cards for all my AA segments?
Old Nov 24, 2017, 6:42 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The pop up note means exactly what it says. Simply have your documents checked, e.g. passport and BA will verify your ESTA. Nothing else to do. BA ought to be able to issue your AA BP's, but you may obtain BP's from any AA kiosk, counter, AC (if you have access) or at any gate.
Old Nov 24, 2017, 6:44 am

Had a similar experience two weeks ago on LHR-EWR. Nothing happened at check-in time, got issued with my boarding pass without any issue.
Things started being interesting at the gate.

Hint: When your name gets called, it's not for an Op-Up, but rather to have a conversation with a G4S man, who should nicely ask you to remove belt/shoes, open laptop and ipad, will swipe the whole thing to test for substances before asking you to take a seat until actual boarding starts.
Minor inconvenience, really, but basically I was told that the reason my documents had to be checked was that Homeland Security pre-selects some lucky few who are then supposed to have their documents checked (at check-in, that's transparent for you), and also get a proper inspection just before boarding (and this is more annoying)...

What I ask myself is the following : if BA was part of pre-check, and you could give them your Known Traveller Number, would it have still happened ? Don't know.
EuropeanPete likes this.
Old Nov 24, 2017, 6:46 am

Programs: Lemonia. Best Greek ever.
My last 2 trips to USA have had this issue. Just get someone who knows their job at T5 to do it. One queue controller at T5 did not know what this meant.
Old Nov 24, 2017, 6:46 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by djwam
Had a similar experience two weeks ago on LHR-EWR. Nothing happened at check-in time, got issued with my boarding pass without any issue.
Things started being interesting at the gate.

Hint: When your name gets called, it's not for an Op-Up, but rather to have a conversation with a G4S man, who should nicely ask you to remove belt/shoes, open laptop and ipad, will swipe the whole thing to test for substances before asking you to take a seat until actual boarding starts.
Minor inconvenience, really, but basically I was told that the reason my documents had to be checked was that Homeland Security pre-selects some lucky few who are then supposed to have their documents checked (at check-in, that's transparent for you), and also get a proper inspection just before boarding (and this is more annoying)...
Thanks for sharing your experience. I wonder, though, if the two things (documents check and secondary screening) are at all connected or if it was just a coincidence.
Old Nov 24, 2017, 6:47 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Ancient Observer
My last 2 trips to USA have had this issue. Just get someone who knows their job at T5 to do it. One queue controller at T5 did not know what this meant.
You'd hope that a check-in desk agent will know what to do?
Old Nov 24, 2017, 6:52 am

Programs: Lemonia. Best Greek ever.
Yup. "Hope" was the operative word.
Old Nov 24, 2017, 7:17 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by ringingup
I checked in for my LHR-JFK-LAX-SFO tomorrow, and I got the dreaded "someone needs to check your documents" message. I've been checked in on the first two segments and not the third, and I could download my LHR-JFK boarding pass but not my JFK-LAX one as the AA app gives me an error. Perhaps it's because it's more than 24 hours until departure time.

I understand that the document check is a standard FLY thing this days. I don't have anything to worry about or that I should do now, do I? My ESTA expires in March 2018.

Should I just go to one of the checked in desk of the First Wing tomorrow or is it something they can do in the CCR?
I can't see anything strange in the above, it's been like this for over a year now in terms of the message and AA won't issue their boarding pass until they see the check-in status, which thanks to them being on SABRE may not happen automatically. They should be able to issue this in the T5. As is normal for the USA, assuming you are HBO then the podium in front of the automated gates will scan your passport at the First Wing and if they don't get it right or forget the gates won't open. If checking in luggage the passport scan will take place at the check-in desk. If connecting via Flight Connections, don't use the new automated gates in the first instance, use the staff gates on the sides. In the interests of time, you may want to see if the CCR can do the LAX boarding pass for you - you can leave it with them to wrestle with the computers, alternatively try again in a few hours on the AA App (you need to be under 24 hours Eastern time). For the benefit of anyone lurking, identical procedures apply for Canada too.

Some of the other comments are conflating other unrelated issues, but you should be fine.
ringingup likes this.
Old Nov 24, 2017, 10:13 am

Programs: AA MM, AA EXP; OW Emerald, EK silver
Originally Posted by djwam

What I ask myself is the following : if BA was part of pre-check, and you could give them your Known Traveller Number, would it have still happened ? Don't know.
Even with pre-check and global entry it would probably have happened. On three of my last five flights to the US I got pulled aside for extra screening, supposedly 'random'. Had advance warning though with an SSSS on my boarding card. Every airline had my trusted traveller number and I've had global entry since it started. Part of the angst of travel today, the only thing is to go with the flow....
Old Nov 24, 2017, 10:22 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, *A, Marriott
I believe there are now more stringent checks for flights to the US (something like this was in exchange for not banning laptops from European flights). In my last flight to ORD recently, I picked up my boarding pass at the self-service kiosk, it was marked SSSS. I went to the lounge and the lounge attendant suggested that we do the extra screening questions then rather than waiting for the gate which would be more crowded. She took about 10 minutes asking more detailed questions than I have encountered before, like tell me about the nature of your work, who is the CEO, etc...

At the gate, I knew I would be pulled aside for secondary screening which involved opening all bag and bag pockets, rifling through all of my clothing, turning on phone and computer, and even taking my iphone case off of the phone, which seemed silly to me given it was a transparent plastic case!

Anyway, I read somewhere that the agreement is that double the previous %age of passengers will have the SSSS secondary screening which allows them not to screen everyone and still allows you to take your laptop with you.
Old Nov 24, 2017, 10:35 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
If you're asked a really stupid question like "how much does a can of redbull cost in Doncaster" by check-in staff, just answer it as if it's not a stupid question and you might avoid getting SSSed. Obviously make sure your ESTA is valid for the passport you gave, if appropriate.

On the boarding pass issue specifically I have actually seen on multi flight itineraries the AA app won't release boarding passes until 24hrs as you mention. Not something I've ever notice happen on BA.
Old Nov 24, 2017, 10:39 am

Programs: BA Gold

The usual check-in message for me for tomorrow (lower) - but oddly (on the same booking), Mrs CKBA (upper) can't get her BP :-)
Old Nov 24, 2017, 3:00 pm

Programs: AA MM, AA EXP; OW Emerald, EK silver
Original message deleted. Producing documents at the airport does not mean you are not checked in - your seat assignments etc are preserved as the previous post illustrates. Regardless of status or class of travel it's hard to accept that the days of showing up at the airport 30mins prior to an international flight are long since over.
ringingup likes this.

Last edited by dwugson; Nov 24, 2017 at 3:05 pm
Old Nov 24, 2017, 4:13 pm

Programs: BA (GGL G4L), AA (Gold), HH (Diamond); Marriott (Gold)
I had the same issue earlier in the week with checking in and it was indeed SSSS, which has increased significantly on flights to the US as part of the increased security scrutiny, and is now more thorough (swab electronics, bags, neck, waist, and ankles for explosives, which includes removing shoes). I would say about 10-20% of passengers to PHX were subjected to SSSS on Tuesday. Boarding began right at the time the gate was announced (an hour before departure time). I arrived about halfway through boarding, spent a few minutes in the priority queue entering gate 31, and then about five minutes at SSSS. Even with the inconvenience we still departed on time. It was my second SSSS of the year, and quite a bit more involved than it was earlier in the year.
Old Nov 24, 2017, 5:44 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by dwugson
Original message deleted. Producing documents at the airport does not mean you are not checked in - your seat assignments etc are preserved as the previous post illustrates. Regardless of status or class of travel it's hard to accept that the days of showing up at the airport 30mins prior to an international flight are long since over.
It depends on the specific message and what is needed.

Back in Sep I flew AUS-DFW-LHR-DEL on a BA ticket. I wasn't able to check-in online, with either BA or AA. When I got to AUS, they had to check for an Indian visa. They had given away my seat...I received conflicting reasons why. One agent said I wasn't checked in. Another in the lounge told me that it was only a request. Regardless, the lounge agent was able to get me a better seat than the last row, which the check-in agent gave me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.