Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Why 80 TPs for HEL, LED, and only 40 for TLL

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 24, 2017, 6:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, Falconflyer Gold, The Ritz-Carlton Silver

I am soon flying to TLL on a fully-flex J ticket, and noticed it is only good for 40 TPs. I find this strange and inconsistent when HEL, which is only 25 miles north of TLL, and LED, 20 or so minutes further are both good for 80 TPs.

Is there any reason for this? My trip is strictly business and any TPs are incidental, nonetheless I do wonder if there is a reason for such inconsistency?
Old Nov 24, 2017, 6:32 am

Programs: BA Silver
I guess the cutoff has to be somewhere. I'm no expert, but from Your guide to the Executive Club, attaining status and earning Avios | 2017 edition if you look at the TP explanation, it shows the Club Europe 40/80 point cut-off being approx 1,250 miles. Perhaps the TLL route falls just short of that?
Old Nov 24, 2017, 6:32 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
There isn't a fixed threshold for short haul + routes, to the extent you could suggest one it may be around the 1050-1150 miles range.

HEL is slightly longer than TLL at 1,134 miles vs 1,106 miles - and also with HEL there is a joint business agreement with AY which may have some bearing on the level of TPs. HEL is the shortest LHR route to get the upgraded TPs.

There are actually two other LHR routes longer than TLL which also get 40 TPs only, PMO and BDS.
Old Nov 24, 2017, 7:20 am

Programs: BA GGL
Originally Posted by KARFA
There isn't a fixed threshold for short haul + routes, to the extent you could suggest one it may be around the 1050-1150 miles range.
Is there a threshold for long haul? Per Great Circle HKG and CPT are both 5,995 from LHR, however CPT gets the higher LH+ band and so I am set to earn 40 TP more on a CW return on my trip to South Africa next week, 320 vs 280.
Old Nov 24, 2017, 7:22 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by snuffi
Is there a threshold for long haul? Per Great Circle HKG and CPT are both 5,995 from LHR, however CPT gets the higher LH+ band and so I am set to earn 40 TP more on a CW return on my trip to South Africa next week, 320 vs 280.
It should be above 2000 gets long haul and above 6000 gets long haul +. Are you using the mileage figures from the BAEC calculator? These may differ from gcmap.
Old Nov 24, 2017, 7:55 am

Programs: BA GGL
Originally Posted by KARFA
It should be above 2000 gets long haul and above 6000 gets long haul +. Are you using the mileage figures from the BAEC calculator? These may differ from gcmap.
They do! BAEC uses 5979 for HKG and 6019 for CPT. It is going to be my longest BA flight actually. I did EZE a few years back ('08) on BA but that stopped somewhere in Brazil first (was it Sao Paolo?). I've done direct to SIN but that was on SQ.
Old Nov 24, 2017, 9:44 am
Suspended

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by snuffi
They do! BAEC uses 5979 for HKG and 6019 for CPT. It is going to be my longest BA flight actually. I did EZE a few years back ('08) on BA but that stopped somewhere in Brazil first (was it Sao Paolo?). I've done direct to SIN but that was on SQ.
BA has 'doctored' South Africa to make it closer in Avios terms than it should be in theory. This applies to redemptions as well as awards, so don't shout too loudly in case they move it again

There is no precise reason why HEL does and TLL doesn't. I suspect it's to do with the newness of the TLL route, it's easier not to add something than to take it away, if you see what I mean. Plus the AY partner factor as KARFA suggested. Similarly, half of Sicily counts but the other doesn't.
Old Nov 24, 2017, 9:54 am

Programs: BA Gold for Life
I am not bitter (not much) but it still irks me that when I flew to Catania a few years ago I only got 40 TPs in CE. It is now 80.
Old Nov 24, 2017, 12:15 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
One can frequently get a route to or via ...-LHR-SIN-HKG-... instead of ...LHR-HKG, pushing the long haul into 6000+ miles and adding another short haul. It's always worth checking.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.