Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA Avios redemption increase in taxes/fees/charges overnight

Old Nov 23, 2017, 3:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Velocity Platinum, Qantas Gold

Hi all,
I'm trying to redeem Avios through the BA Exec search page for a simple MAN>LHR off-peak single on January 10. Avios required are 4,000, however I've searched for the journey 72 hours ago and taxes/fees/charges were 17.50 but are now 26.15. Appreciate it's a small increase however I can't find anything that explains why it's gone up. Could it be cookies at work and inflating price as I've searched a number of times for the same route?!
Cheers!
Old Nov 23, 2017, 3:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Looking at Matrix for prices , the taxes are

United Kingdom Passenger Service Charge Departures (UB) 13.34
United Kingdom Air Passenger Duty APD (GB) 13.00

for economy class travell, so GBP26 seems correct

If eligible for a Reward Flight Saver, then the cash componant for that would seem to be GBP17.50;; have your earned and AVIOSs in the last year?
Old Nov 23, 2017, 3:14 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
I’m still seeing 17.50
Old Nov 23, 2017, 3:15 pm

Programs: BA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Is it a BA operated flight? 17.5 is the Reward Flight Saver fixed rate if your account and the flight are both eligible for it(active account with some activity within last one year and flight has to be BA metal)
adygry likes this.
Old Nov 23, 2017, 3:32 pm

Sounds like the last Avios you earned may have been one year and a day ago, so that you were eligible for Reward Flight Saver 72 hours ago but are no longer? If not then this may be a bug?
adygry likes this.
Old Nov 23, 2017, 5:17 pm

As per the above comments, it sounds like RFS eligibility is the most likely issue here.

Credit at least 1 Avios to your account somehow (eStore purchase), and save yourself that extra 9ish
adygry likes this.
Old Nov 23, 2017, 7:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Velocity Platinum, Qantas Gold
Bingo! That's it - last activity was this time last year and I got a reminder to use them hence this booking! Never knew about RFS, thanks for that. I'll make a purchase as I've got a couple of redemptions to make on BA metal. Cheers.
Old Nov 23, 2017, 7:58 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA Lifetime Gold 1.8mm, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold et al
deleted
Old Nov 24, 2017, 2:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by adygry
Bingo! That's it - last activity was this time last year and I got a reminder to use them hence this booking! Never knew about RFS, thanks for that. I'll make a purchase as I've got a couple of redemptions to make on BA metal. Cheers.
Depends what the other redemptions are, but price those first. In some instances, taxes are less than the RFS amount (especially if you're not departing Heathrow). Booking something like that would trigger activity on your account and then leave you eligible for RFS again.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.