Wiki Posts
Search

CCR Cardholder Recognition When Flying BA

Search this Thread

Old Nov 24, 2017, 2:25 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by TonyHancock
I am probably the only person on the planet that finds the window CW seats pretty good for sleeping.
I'm afraid I must profusely disagree with that statement, as I too find the window CW seat pretty good for sleeping.

(It's the flimsy table in CW that I find annoying, as I end up working with my laptop on my lap rather than on the table, or I have to stuff things under the table to stabilise it.)

BA table in F is actually pretty good for working though. Unfortunately it still does not negate my "ill-feeling"* towards BA for the lack of wifi on my routes, which is resulting in my inability to utilise the joker or the GUF at the moment as I am having to defect to wifi-equipped carriers.

* A strong disapproval from me, hurry up already, BA!!
TonyHancock and fin_dg like this.
Old Nov 24, 2017, 2:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by Bronze
I've been told that I am a pretty easy customer to look after.
However, you are obviously someone who prefers the crew to say something to you on each flight to demonstrate that they have taken on board that you are a particularly high-level customer. You notice when it doesn't happen, and it has annoyed you enough for you to start a new thread on the subject.

Well, the truth is that if you continue flying BA, it just isn't going to happen reliably.

This is really only a different version of the more regular discussions here about greetings for ordinary Golds and Emeralds. Again, other airlines do this more consistently; and again, there are plenty of Golds/Emeralds on this board who notice and bewail BA's shortcomings in this respect. The answer for them, too, is that if it's important to them, they should choose other airlines who do this better.

But equally, there are plenty of ordinary Golds like me who just could not care less whether or not the cabin crew say anything to me to demonstrate that they have noticed that I'm a Gold. I'd rather that this was recognised by BA when it actually matters. And I'd rather that the cabin crew looked after me well not because they've realised that I'm a Gold, but because they're the sort of people who look after every single passenger well: BA has plenty of these, but I wish that every single one was like that.
rssfed23 likes this.
Old Nov 24, 2017, 4:10 am

Programs: BA GGLfL
Can anyone tell me whether the ipad screen that shows senior cabin crew the list of passengers by name together with BAEC card colour distinguishes Golds from GGLs or whether they need to go into the individual passenger info to see this?
Old Nov 24, 2017, 4:14 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Lolbert
Can anyone tell me whether the ipad screen that shows senior cabin crew the list of passengers by name together with BAEC card colour distinguishes Golds from GGLs or whether they need to go into the individual passenger info to see this?
It is mentioned upthread but yes, at the end of each line there is a card image for Blue/Bronze/Silver/Gold, GGLs get a small crown imposed on the gold, and Prems get a black card, nothing in between for CCR. Separately the crew can also see the CIV.
Old Nov 24, 2017, 4:15 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Yes it does distinguish between the two. See Airprox's post earlier in the thread https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29093047-post15.html
Old Nov 24, 2017, 4:15 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
I think GGL is printed in tiny font on the Gold card icon on the screens, but that's just from memory.

M
Old Nov 24, 2017, 4:23 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze
Having experienced these welcomes on QR, CX and occasionally on BA I can say they are nothing more than box ticking and from that point of view irrelevant. I can however say that the service I usually receive on BA is above that of QR or CX. What good is a remark on thanks for flying with us again from a person you will never see again throughout the flight. I’d rather have no personal welcome and good service from being just another passenger.
Tobias-UK likes this.
Old Nov 24, 2017, 4:24 am

Programs: BA GfL, GGL/CCR
Originally Posted by clubman
It what manner did they recognise you were a CCR member?
the crew member said something like. 'you must fly a lot mr crazyarmadillo +1 (wasn't me , but my partner) as you are one of the few CCR members.'. As I said in my post above, I remember it clearly as I was annoyed I was not recognized, as we are both CCRs. When I say I was annoyed, i wasn't really it was just funny I wasn't recognised, but he was. I fly more than him as well! I just answering OP re if CCR are recognised on board, and we were. We did get a few more bevies tbh, than normal.
Old Nov 24, 2017, 5:04 am

Programs: BA GGL / GFL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Premium, IHG Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by crazyarmadillo
the crew member said something like. 'you must fly a lot mr crazyarmadillo +1 (wasn't me , but my partner) as you are one of the few CCR members.'. As I said in my post above, I remember it clearly as I was annoyed I was not recognized, as we are both CCRs. When I say I was annoyed, i wasn't really it was just funny I wasn't recognised, but he was. I fly more than him as well! I just answering OP re if CCR are recognised on board, and we were. We did get a few more bevies tbh, than normal.
im sure CIHY will correct me, but I’m told that sometimes but rarely CCR cardholder appears as a comment on the printed manifest, but not on the iPad. The iPad does distinguish betwen Gold and GGL however with the crown and the CIV.
Old Nov 24, 2017, 6:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
That’s could be true, I never look at the paper passenger list since we were given the iPad.
ThatT1Feeling likes this.
Old Nov 24, 2017, 7:11 am

Originally Posted by Bronze
Possibly acknowledgment of my loyalty, more than anything. A thank you etc. When I was in business, I used to know my repeat customers and I treated them as well as possible. Certainly not to the detriment of first time customers.... But I'm not stupid... The customers making multiple purchases at the top end, were definitely more valuable to me and were treated accordingly.

I've been told that I am a pretty easy customer to look after. When I fly from HKG-LHR, due to the late departure, I have eaten in the wing lounge, I don't really drink alcohol and I eat breakfast in the T5 arrivals lounge. I've literally had flights where I've chosen to just have sparkling water. I am not complaining about BA staff specifically. I think it's a failure by the company to not have things in place.
I must say like others I am struggling to see what you are looking for, given that you seem to be recognised but not in front of others. Indeed isn't GGL/CCR a source of recognition in itself?

Maybe BA is a different animal to your own business, a multi billion pound organisation operating in an industry where margins and staffing are tight and these 'nice to haves' have fallen by the wayside with your first choice meal and other enhancements.

If you want the personal recognition I fear BA is not the airline for you. And in any case it isn't all it's cracked up to be, there are other airlines who do offer the "Hello Mr...er....[tap tap on ipad or rustle on manifest]...Simon S1" but it is totally underwhelming and do you seriously think the crew member delivering it gives a stuff anyway?

I could see this all playing out well about 40 years ago when people dressed up to travel and crewing levels were sufficient for the personal touch but those days are gone.
Old Nov 24, 2017, 7:56 am

Programs: BA GGL for a little while longer
The nicest welcome I have had was from a CC member on the JER-LGW route (which at one point I was flying twice a week) who I only knew to nod and smile at. On the very next flight after I made Gold for the first time, she came out of the galley with a beaming smile and said "Hey, you got your Gold card, that's brilliant !" with a beaming smile. It came across completely unforced and natural and was just a good human interaction.

The worst welcome I had was later that day sitting on a JFK-bound flight when a member of CC came up and, stonefaced, droned out what was written on the iPad... you;d think she was reading the phone book
Old Nov 24, 2017, 8:14 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by jday
Having experienced these welcomes on QR, CX and occasionally on BA I can say they are nothing more than box ticking and from that point of view irrelevant. I can however say that the service I usually receive on BA is above that of QR or CX. What good is a remark on thanks for flying with us again from a person you will never see again throughout the flight. I’d rather have no personal welcome and good service from being just another passenger.
Absolutely!

buy that man a drink! the OP just comes across to me as very self important. I have been silver for quite sometime and only 5 months ago became Gold; I haven't noticed any difference really in the air; but I don't need to be fawned over and read a script from an ipad!. as long as the CC are nice and pleasant with good service and I enjoy my time in the air with BA then that is good for me

Last edited by Prospero; Nov 24, 2017 at 1:21 pm Reason: repair quotation frame
Old Nov 24, 2017, 1:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Qantas. British Airways. Emirates.
Thanks for the many comments addressing my initial post.

I've only flown BA for 18 months, and I noticed the difference coming from both Qantas and Emirates.

I specifically sought advice of those with way more experience flying BA than me. I thought this was part of being a member of FT.

I now understand that BA is quite different and that's OK. I do 30+ intra Europe flights each year and BA works well for me. I'm NOT unhappy with the service received on board. Far from it. I won't be switching airlines based on whether I get welcomed back or not. BA has an excellent safety record, some great lounges, an ideal network for where I'm flying and aside from a couple of poor flights, I'd rate them highly.

I genuinely appreciate the replies which addressed what I was asking and now I have my answer.
Old Nov 24, 2017, 2:26 pm

Programs: BA (GGL G4L), AA (Gold), HH (Diamond); Marriott (Gold)
I'm hard pressed to remember a flight as a GGL where I was not thanked in depth for my loyalty/business/whatever. Maybe one flight back on January 1st (AMS-LGW in Y with the family of 5), though it's possible I had fallen asleep when the rounds were made.

It's often a bit embarrassing when the passengers around me are skipped over, many of whom are Gold, on short flights. The crew was wise enough to not skip over my wife who was sat next to me on recent flights, even though we were on separate tickets.

On a recent LHR-DUB I received an unnecessary apology that he had taken half the flight to stop by and say hello.

I guess my point is that in my experience, BA is generally really good at greeting status passengers, in particular GGL. It's definitely not an area where I have any complaints.

I will add that, as I'm based in PHX, I never seem to get invited to any events even though I spend quite a bit of time in London.
Tobias-UK likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.