Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA changed flight by 5 minutes and now MCT is less than 1h 15min at gatwick

Old Nov 22, 17, 4:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Bronze, Some red card and some hotel cards.

BA have just informed me that they have changed my flight back up to Glasgow from Gatwick next June by 5 minutes and now the connection time is less than the 1hr 15 minutes posted on Flyertalk (but I cannot even find out the minimum for Gatwick on the BA website, Heathrow is mentioned). They have kindly moved us onto the earlier flight from MCO to Gatwick which we don't want for various reasons, we would have booked it in the first place if we wanted to be on it. Will BA allow us to shift the whole booking by 1 day so we can get the later MCO as there will be a flight to Glasgow around lunchtime then? This is a flight only booked on BA.com and we won't be able to ring BA until the morning.

Why do BA say its 75 minutes for MCT when the flight doesn't even close until 45 minutes before departure? and its highly likely the flight would have been early! I gather there is no chance of BA being able to override the MCT requirement and we don't have any status anymore.
Old Nov 22, 17, 4:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
BA sets the MCT. It simply represents the willingness of an air carrier to accept the risks of a misconnect, including EC 261/2004 compensation. BA can, of course, waive the MCT as it sets the MCT, for any ticket, but it will not and it is not worth asking.

Several options:

1. Do nothing at the moment. Changes occur all the time. Your flight could quite easily move back to its old slot. Sooner or later you will need to do something, but if you are happy with what you booked, no need to deal with it now.

2. Ask BA to change your GLA segment to the next flight (or the next AM), but do understand that BA won't cover your hotel.

3. Ask BA to change the entire route to the next day or any other reroute which works (AA-BA combinations via other US gateways).

4. Accept what is proposed.

But, remember that you only get one free change. Thus, if you have BA change your tickets now and later decide you want something else, that later change will be subject to whatever penalties and fare differences apply to your ticket.
Old Nov 22, 17, 4:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Platinum & Ambassador
It is extremely unlikely BA will allow you to change by a day for free especially now that it appears you have already accepted the change. Never just accept a change of flight times that affects other, connecting, flights. Look into alternative flights before you accept the change,

The MCT is not just about the time check-in closes (that is 45 minutes for short hail at LGW) or even boarding closes for the next flight. It is to allow you time to get from your arriving flight gate to the departure gate whilst completing any additional formalities e.g. passport and / or security check (plus for any checked luggage to get there too) plus some spare time to allow for a late arrival.
Old Nov 22, 17, 4:21 pm

Programs: BA GGL (no longer CCR), Hertz PC, Hilton Diamond
No comment on connecting at LGW, but:

The flight may not close until 45 min before departure, but someone who is standing at the check in desk, newly issued boarding pass in hand, at T-45, only has to walk a few metres over to security and get through a (hopefully) shortish queue before rushing to the gate. The gate closes at T-20 so you have 25 minutes to do that.

At T-75, the plane has just touched down. It then has to find a stand, get connected to an airbridge (or have a bus pull up), wait for the passengers to deplane and either get bussed to the gate or have passengers walk through the concourse to the terminal and get through immigration (for a domestic connection) before they're in the same position as the passenger who checked in at T-45.

All of that can easily take 30 minutes or even more, leaving that passenger with the same 25 minutes (or less) to clear security and get to the gate before it closes.

Not only that but, if the passenger on an A-B flight is late, it's the passenger's problem. If the 75 minutes for a connection are not enough, e.g., if the inbound flight is late, BA has to reaccommodate all those connecting passenger as well. T-75 really is not that generous.

If the London airports were more like Amsterdam, for example, where you only have to walk between gates and there is no immigration or security to clear, T-75 would be excessive but, even then, you'd want to allow some time for deplaning and walking before the gate closes.
Old Nov 22, 17, 5:23 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear View Post
It is extremely unlikely BA will allow you to change by a day for free especially now that it appears you have already accepted the change. Never just accept a change of flight times that affects other, connecting, flights. Look into alternative flights before you accept the change,

The MCT is not just about the time check-in closes (that is 45 minutes for short hail at LGW) or even boarding closes for the next flight. It is to allow you time to get from your arriving flight gate to the departure gate whilst completing any additional formalities e.g. passport and / or security check (plus for any checked luggage to get there too) plus some spare time to allow for a late arrival.
We haven't accepted any change just that BA automatically put us on the earlier flight. We will see what BA has to say when we ring them tomorrow.
Does seem strange BA have it at 75 minutes (still not found it on the BA website) whereas Gatwick itself says 60 minutes...
Old Nov 22, 17, 5:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
These are the MCTs for LGW. Standard INT-DOM is 1hr 15mins, and BA seems no different. The system will rebook you and you won’t get to next June with a connection of less than MCT still in your booking.

Results from https://www.ExpertFlyer.com
Code:
Minimum Connect Times:
Connecting at LGW
Incoming airline BA
Outgoing airline BA
Flight type International to Domestic

STANDARD.D/D...D/I...I/D...I/I.
ONLINE    .40  1.15  1.15  1.15
OFFLINE   .40  1.15  1.15  1.15
** OR * ARE ALL
BA-BA ID SUP   FLT 2046 - 2060 - FLT 2046 - 2060 TRM N  - N  
BA-BA ID  1.30 ALL  - FLT 2046 - 2060 TRM S  - N  
BA-BA ID  1.15 ALL  - FLT 2046 - 2060 TRM S  - S  
BA-BA ID  1.15 ALL  - FLT 2070 - 2149 TRM S  - S  
BA-BA ID  1.15 ALL  - FLT 2240 - 2249 TRM S  - S  
BA-BA ID  1.15 ALL  - FLT 5900 - 5999 TRM S  - S  
BA-BA ID  1.15 ALL  - FLT 6100 - 6199 TRM N  - S  
BA-BA ID  1.15 ALL  - FLT 6110 - 6119 TRM S  - S  
BA-BA ID  1.30 ALL  - FLT 7040 - 7049 TRM S  - N  
BA-BA ID  1.15 ALL  - FLT 7284 - 7289 TRM S  - S  
BA-BA ID  1.30 ALL  - FLT 8040 - 8199 TRM S  - N  
BA-BA ID  1.15 ALL  - FLT 8040 - 8199 TRM S  - S  
BA-BA ID  1.15 FLT 2046 - 2060 - ALL  TRM N  - N  
BA-BA ID  1.30 FLT 2046 - 2060 - ALL  TRM N  - S  
BA-BA ID  1.15 FLT 2046 - 2060 - ALL  TRM S  - S  
BA-BA ID  1.15 FLT 2070 - 2149 - ALL  TRM S  - S  
BA-BA ID  1.15 FLT 2240 - 2249 - ALL  TRM S  - S  
BA-BA ID  1.15 FLT 5900 - 5999 - ALL  TRM S  - S  
BA-BA ID  1.30 FLT 6100 - 6199 - ALL  TRM S  - N  
BA-BA ID  1.15 FLT 6110 - 6119 - ALL  TRM S  - S  
BA-BA ID  1.30 FLT 7040 - 7049 - ALL  TRM N  - S  
BA-BA ID  1.15 FLT 7284 - 7289 - ALL  TRM S  - S  
BA-BA ID  1.30 FLT 8040 - 8199 - ALL  TRM N  - S  
BA-BA ID  1.15 FLT 8040 - 8199 - ALL  TRM S  - S  
BA-BA ID  1.00 TRM N  - N  
BA-BA ID  1.15 TRM S  - S  
**-BA ID  1.15 ALL  - FLT 2769 - 2778 TRM S  - S  
**-BA ID  1.15 TRM N  - N  
**-BA ID  1.30 TRM S  - N  
**-BA ID  1.30 TRM N  - S  
**-BA ID  1.15 TRM S  - S  
BA-** ID  1.15 FLT 2769 - 2778 - ALL  TRM S  - S  
BA-** ID  1.30 TRM S  - N  
BA-** ID  1.30 TRM N  - S  
BA-** ID  1.15 TRM S  - S  
**-** ID   .50 ACI - ALL TRM S  - S  
**-** ID   .50 GCI - ALL TRM S  - S  
**-** ID   .50 JER - ALL TRM S  - S  
**-** ID   .45 TRM N  - N  
**-** ID  1.15 TRM S  - N  
**-** ID  1.15 TRM N  - S
Old Nov 23, 17, 3:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by KARFA View Post
These are the MCTs for LGW. Standard INT-DOM is 1hr 15mins, and BA seems no different.
To help the OP, I think that the relevant line is this one:-
Code:
BA-BA ID 1.15 TRM S - S
Originally Posted by KARFA View Post
The system will rebook you ...
It looks like this has already happened, although the OP has not yet confirmed the change:-
Originally Posted by SonTech View Post
They have kindly moved us onto the earlier flight from MCO to Gatwick which we don't want for various reasons ...
Originally Posted by SonTech View Post
We haven't accepted any change just that BA automatically put us on the earlier flight.
Old Nov 23, 17, 3:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by Cymro View Post
At T-75, the plane has just touched down.
Although I agree with your explanation, MCTs are based on scheduled arrival and departure times of the two flights. These are not landing and take-off times. So if the inbound flight is exactly on time, T-75m is the time that the inbound flight parks at the gate and shuts down.
the810 and Cymro like this.
Old Nov 23, 17, 4:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Globaliser View Post
To help the OP, I think that the relevant line is this one:-
Code:
BA-BA ID 1.15 TRM S - S
It looks like this has already happened, although the OP has not yet confirmed the change:-
Thanks Globaliser. I was posting on my ipad last night so was struggling just to highlight the specific relevant one.
Old Nov 23, 17, 8:22 am
Original Poster

Thanks for all the info guys.
I rang BA today and managed to move the whole booking back a day, so now going out a day earlier and coming back on the later MCO flight on the 13th and on the 1155 GLA on the 14th.
Old Nov 23, 17, 10:48 am

Programs: BA (Gold). Various other statuses
All of our flights from LGW-GLA next year have been put back by 5 minutes which is not a problem but what I don’t understand is why the arrival time is now 15 minutes later and not just 5. Has the routing changed or is this just timetable padding?

Search this Thread