Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LHR T5 staff/crew exit

Search this Thread

Old Nov 24, 2017, 11:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
There is only a guard on the left when you exit from the 7 to 11 end.
Old Nov 24, 2017, 11:11 am

Programs: BA GGLfL
Originally Posted by bjorns
There is one reason and only one reason why PAX are not allowed through the staff shortcut and that is that HAL wants to force us to walk past as many shops as possible.
This is absolutely the case. It drives me bonkers. I'm sure the guard is employed directly by the Duty Free operator. I wonder what the sanction would be for deliberately walking through the guarded exit? What are they going to do? Call security to arrest you?
Old Nov 24, 2017, 12:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
T5 arrivals duty free still is very meagre compared to what you cop at SYD arrivals duty free.

OSL one is quite something else (although quicker to get through than SYD) but I do find something I want to buy there, unlike T5 or SYD.
It's pathetic what's on offer at T5 too when compared to somewhere like CMB where you can buy a Washing Machine, a Fridge, a Hifi, a TV and a Toblerone (obviously ).
florens, msm2000uk and strichener like this.
Old Nov 24, 2017, 12:19 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by Lolbert
What are they going to do? Call security to arrest you?
I actually have a video someone doing exactly this. I can dig it out if anyones particularly interested but all this "guard" did was ask them to stop, they asked why and she said "staff exit only".

They smiled to themselves for a second clearly contemplating their options before correctly assessing the limitations of her authority and continuing on walking.
She gives a final request of "Sir....but you can't go through here!!" before realising he's already spotted his Addison Lee driver (and is therefore now out of reach of her power) and so she resigns herself back to performing her soul destroying day job.

In other words; I'm sure in the vast majority of cases absolutely nothing but I'm sure if you got aggressive towards them instead of ignoring their requests to not walk through there then they would seek assistance from someone with some form of authority just as any other HAL employee experiencing abuse (rightfully) would.
Old Nov 24, 2017, 12:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Lolbert
This is absolutely the case. It drives me bonkers. I'm sure the guard is employed directly by the Duty Free operator.
Are you sure? I'll give you a hint; you shouldn't be.
Old Nov 24, 2017, 12:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
There is one reason and only one reason why PAX are not allowed through the staff shortcut and that is that HAL wants to force us to walk past as many shops as possible.
I can think of at least two more reasons.
Old Nov 24, 2017, 2:30 pm

As a regular (legitimate) user of this exit...

It’s less awkward for us to get out that way, rather than walking to the masses of drivers and anxious family members. I usually still have a hi-vis on as I leave and walking through that makes you a target for every daft question (and some legitimate ones).

That exit is much closer to the staff busses so I can make a quick exit back to the safety of Waterside.

For anyone wanting to try it, a hi-vis or a quick wave of any blue card on a lanyard should be sufficient, it’s not a rigid check by any means.
Old Nov 24, 2017, 3:20 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Most FT's who have replied to this post are now tempted to try this exit out I will be the next time I fly back in. Best way to ignore the guard is to have one of those big dre beats headphones on!
Old Nov 25, 2017, 4:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by alextheengineer
For anyone wanting to try it, a hi-vis or a quick wave of any blue card on a lanyard should be sufficient, it’s not a rigid check by any means.
Aha! So that's the message that (the other) Alex was trying to convey in that video: always wear a hi-vis in your dealings with BA.

Mind you, I'm always entertained by how many people think that it's a grave insult to their dignity to have to walk another 50 yards or so through the shop.
tmac100 likes this.
Old Nov 25, 2017, 5:01 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, A3 Gold
Be more positive. Thank your "lucky stars" that you are not blind and with a "seeing eye dog". Surely the extra walking is good exercise after sitting on some cramped flight. As for looking at all the things on offer by the shops.... I'll bet every blind person would be happy to walk through the "long way" without a dog and see what you find an irritation.

Why am I scribbling this???

Well, as a long term Type 1 diabetic (since 1964) I occasionally have foot issues that require crutches for a number of months. This occasional situation has gone on now for 20 years..... I despise them as I hobble along, but welcome them and their availability when I need them. Currently I have been limping along slowly without crutches and do not long for the golf carts that took me (for months) from security to the lounge or to the check-in gate. Happy to walk without the crutches and carts.....
Old Nov 25, 2017, 7:12 am

I was actually walking past as a chancer went for it a few weeks ago. The gentlemen in question got to the open door before the guard noticed he wasn't staff, guard yelled "excuse me sir you can't go that way!", no response from the gentlemen and he kept walking on - guard then yells "twat" and sits back down.

Part of me wants to chance it next time there's an opportunity.
710 77345 and shefgab like this.
Old Nov 25, 2017, 8:37 am

Programs: Entry Level Expert
Originally Posted by alextheengineer
As a regular (legitimate) user of this exit...

It’s less awkward for us to get out that way, rather than walking to the masses of drivers and anxious family members. I usually still have a hi-vis on as I leave and walking through that makes you a target for every daft question (and some legitimate ones).

That exit is much closer to the staff busses so I can make a quick exit back to the safety of Waterside.

At the risk of swaying slightly OT, I'm completely with you there.

Back when I first started working for BA, I used to use the trains to commute. You're a moving target with any kind of uniform on in the terminals. I don't occupy a Customer Service role but in my first few months, I helped a woman back up to T4 Arrivals with her bags and showed her where to get a bus, and also had a bad tempered suit yank my phone away from my ear on the HEX platform and lecture me about being on my phone at work.

If you work for BA and shop at Tesco post-shift, you're also running the same gauntlet only the questions morph from travel-related to the locations of pasta sauces.
squawk likes this.

Last edited by Murray Goldberg; Nov 25, 2017 at 8:43 am
Old Nov 25, 2017, 9:20 am

HAL will be paying nearly Ł100k in salaries just to man the door - must be good margin from ticket and shop sales if the people who ignore a 'no exit' sign can be that profitable!
Old Nov 25, 2017, 9:25 am

I tried this once in a gaggle of (probably) staff - the 'guard' (if that's what he / she is) tore me off a strip even suggesting it did not give access to the terminal - which it very clearly does.

As far as I can see, the exit's not for general use only because you'd be avoiding the airport's last opportunity to flog you duty-free.
Old Nov 25, 2017, 9:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by Genius1
I can think of at least two more reasons.
Would it help to spell out the reasons (a) why this door exists; and (b) why passengers should not use it?

If I have got the T5 layout correct in my head, one of the oddities is that if a staff member finds it more convenient to exit from the baggage hall through the north customs channel, they do not have a corresponding opportunity to avoid walking through the shop. I therefore infer that it would not harm the well-being of a staff member to do so, and that the escape route from the south customs channel is therefore not a health and safety measure.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.