Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Aerospace Bristol (Concorde museum) visit and DO | 24 Feb 2018

Old Nov 28, 2017, 3:25 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: nick.t.davies
Bristol DO (Concorde visit at Aerospace Bristol museum and evening drinks/meal) 24th Feb. 2018. (a Saturday)

DO activities and timings: (as a guide, this isn't regimented, however, you will want to maximise the Aerospace Bristol time so arriving in a timely manner will help, and later, our restaurant will get nervous if we don't arrive sometime between 7:45 and 8 PM!

I believe we currently have just about enough people car sharing/travelling together to get everyone to Aerospace Bristol from downtown...but if anyone needs a ride or is willing to offer a lift please do post that in the thread or note it on this wiki below by your name please. Ta!

Names for the lifts to/from Bristol to the museum can be added here, https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1qIRFZIpVQfiQRTBdwi0aZctVyQauU-v3UTfAL-6l8Ms/edit?usp=sharing

12:10 Meet at DoubleTree Bristol car park to car share (for those that wish to, DT allows a brief entry to their car park without charge)
12:15 to 12:45 Car convoy to Aerospace Bristol (it's about a 30 minute journey in traffic)
12:45 to 13:00 Arrive, Ticket collection at Aerospace Bristol (BotB to wait at entrance for any stragglers!)
13:00 Aerospace Bristol and Concorde visit (we are registered as a group and have a discounted price but it is not a guided tour) Ł10 / person, please bring cash to the venue to receive your ticket.
16:00 Aerospace Bristol closes for the day
Thereafter car convoy back to DT City Centre

Then, later on...we offer two choices (the equivalent of chicken or beef if you will)...

For the livelier crowd that wants a few local pints before the main meal:

A Mini Pub Crawl being led by When I Travel The World, starting at 18:30 and going until 19:30ish so you'll be at SOTA in time for a nice hot meal and rejoining the rest of us!

The plan currently is to grab a quick beer at Brew Dog and then move onto the Small Bar http://www.smallbar.co.uk/ .

For those interested, please PM When I Travel The World to find out the secret handshake and location...enjoy!

For the rest, or should you wish to do your own thing until just before the evening meal, you can meet up with BotB at the Watershed (an easy place to find and a short walk to the SOTA restaurant afterwards)...I'll be there from 18:30 so show up anytime you like up to 19:30 when I'll take anyone that is with me to SOTA and we'll meet up with the others...

So,

18:30 to 19:30 Pre Meal Pub Crawl for those interested or...

18:30 to 19:30 General easy to find meeting point with options for drinks for those interested at Watershed cafe/bar area upstairs, harbourside. Website and info here: https://www.watershed.co.uk/cafe-bar

In either case, at: 19:30 to 19:45 both groups will stroll across to SOTA (Steak of the Art restaurant)....a 10 minute walk maximum along waterfront to Millennium square

19:45 Evening meal at Steak of the Art (SOTA)
22:45 We'll be asked to leave! (they close at 23:00 IIRC)...
Thereafter, those that wish to...can paint the town red...

Those attending: 29, so far, some for Museum, some for the evening meal!

For those attending the evening meal at SOTA, here is a link to the form you can fill out about your meal choices, sides, food allergies and such...(thanks to nick.t.davies ^ ) https://goo.gl/forms/aDDKGIJf2Kq6fqJi1 I will post about this in the thread as well with more detail but thought it would be good to have it linked here in the wiki as well.

allturnleft (all activities) (getting lift from BotB) (staying Bristol Hotel)
bigmarley4 +1 (museum only)
BotB (local) *willing to drive others to museum (all spare car space taken) (All activities) (staying DoubleTree)
camdentown (all activities)
Cymro (evening meal/drinks only)(staying DoubleTree)
Dakota (local) (all activities)
flyingbrief (all activities)
Greenpen (staying at Double Tree, all activities)
johnaalex (all activities) (staying Marriott Royal) willing to drive others to museum
KARFA (staying DoubleTree) (all activities)
matthandy (moving so may be local by that time!)
megaloman (museum only)(getting a lift with BotB)
morges1 (all activities) (staying Bristol Hotel)
MrBambi & MrsBambi (staying DoubleTree) *willing to drive others to museum (all activities)
nick.t.davies (staying DoubleTree) *willing to drive others to museum
PETER01 (evening meal/drinks only)
puqu99i +2 (all activities) (staying Mercure Brigstow) driving the trio!
simonsmith (all activities)
squawk (staying DoubleTree) (all activities) (getting a lift from BotB)
TheFlyingDoctor (local, museum visit in any case!) (already has ticket) public transport
thundercat (staying DoubleTree) *willing to drive others to museum (3 if CE, 4 if ET) (All activities)
When I Travel The World (Local, Museum visit and organising the pub crawl bit but not coming to dinner) (has own ticket for Bristol Aerospace) public transport
Ziz (evening meal/drinks only) (staying Hilton Garden Inn)

Hotels: (the Hilton DoubleTree seems to be the hotel of choice but for others see below!)

Link to post with suggested hotels in Bristol here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29180826-post32.html (besides the excellent FT threads on many of the hotels mentioned...)

Transport: (how to get here and what options are available!)

Link to post with suggested transport options; https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29202661-post37.html

Other sites to check out while you are here:

Link to post with suggestions: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29202750-post38.html

Updated to post 164.
Print Wikipost

Aerospace Bristol (Concorde museum) visit and DO | 24 Feb 2018

Old Feb 23, 2018, 11:58 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Gold
Who is going to be arriving to Bristol today.

I'm due to the DoubleTrees for about 10:30pm and I was wondering if anyone was around later or if staying at the DT around for breakfast tomorrow before the main festivities begin?
Old Feb 23, 2018, 12:04 pm

I’m arriving at BRS about 20:15, and will make my way to the DoubleTree. Hope to be there by 9, though might then go foraging for something in the vicinity.

Do you want to DM me when you arrive nick.t.davies? If I’m around I’d be happy to say hello, or perhaps to grab breakfast tomorrow.

< and the boarding call for the EasyJet flight has just gone, chaos ensues.... >
Old Feb 23, 2018, 12:06 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by BotB
Excellent, great to have you join us GadgetGal, will be good to catch up! If you don't already have a ticket to the museum, I happen to have a spare due to someone previously dropping out after the deadline so can sell it to you for Ł10 if you wish? (if you already have one, no worries). Great to have you join us. See you tomorrow! ^

I'll take you up on that, thanks I'm definitely looking forward to catching up, too
Old Feb 23, 2018, 12:23 pm

Originally Posted by squawk
I’m arriving at BRS about 20:15, and will make my way to the DoubleTree. Hope to be there by 9, though might then go foraging for something in the vicinity.

Do you want to DM me when you arrive nick.t.davies? If I’m around I’d be happy to say hello, or perhaps to grab breakfast tomorrow.

< and the boarding call for the EasyJet flight has just gone, chaos ensues.... >
I'll get in touch when we're closer (giving a lift to KARFA this evening as well). Otherwise breakfast sounds good. I'll DM you my mobile
Old Feb 23, 2018, 2:10 pm

Programs: BAEC at last back to Gold, Flying Blue, Red with the Bearded One, Accor, Finnair Plus Blue
Originally Posted by nick.t.davies
Who is going to be arriving to Bristol today.

I'm due to the DoubleTrees for about 10:30pm and I was wondering if anyone was around later or if staying at the DT around for breakfast tomorrow before the main festivities begin?
Certainly up for joining up for breakfast in the DT tomorrow morning as long as it's not too early, need my Saturday snooze 😁
Old Feb 23, 2018, 5:50 pm
formerly southsidesilver

Programs: BA Gold, UA Silver, HH Diamond
Right, time for bed. See you all in the AM/PM !
Old Feb 24, 2018, 12:24 am

Programs: BA Silver Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci.
Getting myself in the mood for today

memories from 2003.....

Boarding G-BOAE in June 2003 retirement flight

The real concorde room Terminal 4 2003
​​​​​​​
KARFA likes this.
Old Feb 24, 2018, 1:28 am
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: HH D, Rad Plat
A lovely sunny (if cool) day for a DO!

I was debating whether to show up today or not, as I've won the lotto, however, as you're all such a lovely bunch of people (and as Ł4.10 doesn't stretch quite as far as it once did) I look forward to meeting you all a bit later on...

Safe travels, should be a cracker of a day!

(nice pics allturnleft) ^
PETER01, madfish and nick.t.davies like this.
Old Feb 24, 2018, 1:57 am

Programs: BA Silver, ATI Volare Premium, Priority Club Platinum, HHonors Silver
Running late

as no one has requested we give them a lift from the DT and we’re running a little late we’ll go direct to the museum. See you at 12:45ish
Old Feb 24, 2018, 4:18 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Originally Posted by BotB
A lovely sunny (if cool) day for a DO!
Cool?! It's freezing here! Arrived in Bristol and looking forward to the Do tonight
Old Feb 24, 2018, 4:22 am

Originally Posted by PETER01
Cool?! It's freezing here! Arrived in Bristol and looking forward to the Do tonight
Not a cloud in the sky, for Bristol I'll take that any day.

Also how British of us that the day of the Do every post is essentially about the weather. (BotB gets a free pass on this as it's shop talk)
PETER01 likes this.
Old Feb 24, 2018, 4:26 am

Currently taking a stroll around central Bristol and I can confirm it’s positively Baltic* - apparently 2°C - but it feels much colder. I’m glad the Museum is indoors!

* though not as “Baltic” as Pyeongchang...British skier misses Winter Olympics opening ceremony after complaining Korea is 'absolutely Baltic'
Old Feb 24, 2018, 4:46 am

Programs: BA Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
BotB and I are on our way to the DT. Running a bit late, will be there approx. 12.15.
Old Feb 24, 2018, 4:47 am

Programs: BAEC at last back to Gold, Flying Blue, Red with the Bearded One, Accor, Finnair Plus Blue
Originally Posted by matthandy
BotB and I are on our way to the DT. Running a bit late, will be there approx. 12.15.
Currently in the DT reception so no worries.
Old Feb 24, 2018, 5:11 am

Programs: BA Silver, ATI Volare Premium, Priority Club Platinum, HHonors Silver
We’re in the gift shop

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.